Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Satnav issues

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so the sat nav has given up the ghost! I suppose it was better to do it now rather than in the middle of France. But the big Question is do I replace it with another sat nav or do I down load Tom Tom maps onto my iPhone? Im on O2 so I Pay £1.99 per day for use abroad and then top up if necessary. Has anybody any idea how much data the phone would eat between Calais and Annecy would the days data plan be enough? Any advice please. Anybody used Tom Tom maps on iPhone in France? Puzzled Help!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
where are you going in France? You really don't need a satnav, and if not used with a bit of commonsense they can get people into all kinds of trouble on mountain passes!

I'd sort out a route, using google maps or whatever, then note down the key places you'll be passing en route, so you can look out for the relevant signposts. Signposting is good in France but invariably place names, not road numbers, with a clear distinction between motorway signage (blue) and the "routes nationales" (green).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kez, Down load the navfree app to your iphone. It has the UK and ROI maps stored on the iphone, so no data connection necessary. Map for France can be downloaded for £1.99. It needs a fair amount of space on the iphone for the maps but works well for me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have you thought about buying a good old fashioned Michelin map - they are really quite good you know.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you download/purchase the Tomtom app with the french/european maps you shouldn't use any data at all because the map will be stored in your phone.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowbandit wrote:
Have you thought about buying a good old fashioned Michelin map - they are really quite good you know.

+1 for maps

-999 for satnavs. The only potential benefit I can think of for a satnav is when you're on your own or your passenger is blind.

Years ago I drove from Chamonix to Rotterdam and I didn't even have a map. I was broke and just popped into the shop in Cham, looked at the map and made some mental notes about main towns on route. However the Belgian towns caused me some consternation on the return as they had different name on the signs when going north to south !
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The only potential benefit I can think of for a satnav is when you're on your own

yes, fantastic for finding your way round a strange city - you can't stop in the traffic to look at a map all the time.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The only potential benefit I can think of for a satnav is when you're on your own or your passenger is blind

Or has the map reading skills of a matchbox!

Fully support the "don't blindly trust SatNav" argument, but personally I find mine invaluable. Even though I could get to Vallandry without maps or notes, it helps me take a detour on unfamiliar roads if there is an accident etc, helps with time planning as I know roughly when we will reach lunch stops and the like, has been very useful to "find" a hospital and petrol station in strange locations when needed.

It's a device which makes life easier, but shouldn't repalce common sense and the ability to read a map

Personally I'd buy a basic TomTom, there areloads of deals around, rather than relying on phone.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I love maps, but I'd vote for the 'proper' satnav option. I find them useful in so many ways.

1. They take 90% of the hassle out of navigation. No, you shouldn't trust them 100%, but they are pretty good.
2. On dark country roads they give you advance warning of twists and turns on the road
3. Warning of current speed limit, and speed cameras too (in most countries).
4. Decent large screen, no worries about data usage, battery life etc.

Buy a tomtom or similar, and unless you're on a serious budget, go for the live traffic option. It's paid for itself many times over with me.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can recommend Sygic as an iPhone satnav app over TomTom. It's certainly worth a look.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Warning of current speed limit, and speed cameras too (in most countries).

But make sure you turn that feature off in France as it is illegal to have that warning
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boris wrote:
Quote:

But make sure you turn that feature off in France as it is illegal to have that warning

This was introduced in January last year, so many folk may not be aware the law has changed.

It was part of decree n°2012-3, introduced on 3 January 2012, and relates to both detectors and sat-nav warnings of locations.

Also, around 400 new cameras have been added to the French road network over the last year or so, and many of the speed camera signs have been removed (or will be removed)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boris wrote:
Quote:

Just print out the Google map with the warnings on.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In thinking about it, it's another reason I'd prefer to use my iPhone as my satnav. As I use it to play music through the car stereo as well as navigate, if I was being pulled over, it would be very quick and easy to swap to the music app and the satnav is gone completely, no reason to think it was being used never mind to know what it contains. Bearing in mind that the police cannot examine a satnav without good reason. Add to that that my car has satnav built in (which doesn't have speed camera locations) and I think I could use it safely without any issue.

FWIW, I tend to just stick the cruise control on anyway, so doubt I'd be speeding in the first place.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Just print out the Google map with the warnings on

or just stick to the sodding speed limits..... Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
feef wrote:
In thinking about it, it's another reason I'd prefer to use my iPhone as my satnav. As I use it to play music through the car stereo as well as navigate, if I was being pulled over, it would be very quick and easy to swap to the music app and the satnav is gone completely, no reason to think it was being used never mind to know what it contains. Bearing in mind that the police cannot examine a satnav without good reason. Add to that that my car has satnav built in (which doesn't have speed camera locations) and I think I could use it safely without any issue.

FWIW, I tend to just stick the cruise control on anyway, so doubt I'd be speeding in the first place.

It's paranoia, nothing else ... Toofy Grin while FR 'laws' could be 'interesting, I am yet to come accross an unreasonable policemen in FR.
latest report
Actually, there shouldn't be a problem with a Tomtom in France. See the link below about the new 'danger zones' (i.e. zones in which you are in danger of getting a speeding ticket!)

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5560
snow conditions
I have the Sygic iPhone app, it works great. The cameras have disappeared in the latest update, it works off line.
latest report
Deleted.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 9-12-13 16:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Just print out the Google map with the warnings on

or just stick to the sodding speed limits..... Evil or Very Mad

Get over it Pam.
snow conditions
I've never owned at Sat Nav or Tom Tom (or an iPhone for that matter), but then I've barely registered that I'm in the 21st Century. Embarassed I can see that they might be useful if you were on your own, in certain circumstances, very occasionally.
(I did buy a glass jug a couple of days ago, but it was two thousand years old wink )
latest report
blahblahblah, French accident rates - horrific a few years ago - have tumbled since they started enforcing speed limits.
ski holidays
kez, The best option is to buy a proper app that downloads the maps to the iphone avaoiding data charges. I use co-pilot which consistently does very well in reviews.
snow conditions
buy a new car, with a built in SatNav Evil or Very Mad
latest report
pam w,
Quote:

blahblahblah, French accident rates - horrific a few years ago - have tumbled since they started enforcing speed limits.

But why do they have to enforce them on us as well?
Very Happy
snow report
Edit, found some evidence.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

It's not just the limits they have been enforcing, but driving manners too. Even things like "Accelerating while being overtaken" or "Failing to get in right-hand lane while being overtaken" are being enforced and carry a €135 fine. Indeed the former also carry a minimum of 2 points and the potential for licence suspension for up to 2 years.
snow report
feef, I wish they'd include "cutting back in after overtaking in such a manner as to leave the overtaken with the option of either driving far too close or easing off her (hitherto steady) speed to leave a safe distance".
I like the French lane discipline, on the whole, but that is really irritating!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
feef, I wish they'd include "cutting back in after overtaking in such a manner as to leave the overtaken with the option of either driving far too close or easing off her (hitherto steady) speed to leave a safe distance".
I like the French lane discipline, on the whole, but that is really irritating!

I think a lot of them are still getting used to that and maybe being a bit overzealous. With the threat of a €135 euro fine hanging over your head, I can understand it at first, until it settles down a bit and things get a bit more sensible Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

However the Belgian towns caused me some consternation on the return as they had different name on the signs when going north to south !

Yes, annoying when the names are vaguely similar, but seriously inconvenient when the names don't resemble each other at all. You couldn't exactly guess that Mons and Bergen are one and the same town! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Pam W - travelling from Calais to Annecy. Have done this many times but like the security of having some electronic device as a back up. Tend to use it just to remind us to come off at specific junctions, bit of a wakeup call really. We always carry a map and never rely on solely on the satnav directions. We're also thinking about touring Belgium and Italy next year so I'm thinking long term investment. Also like watching the km's roll away.
Bob like your thinking Laughing " Dear Santa, please can I an Infinity". Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Pam W - travelling from Calais to Annecy. Have done this many times but like the security of having some electronic device as a back up. Tend to use it just to remind us to come off at specific junctions, bit of a wakeup call really. We always carry a map and never rely on solely on the satnav directions. We're also thinking about touring Belgium and Italy next year so I'm thinking long term investment. Also like watching the km's roll away.
Bob like your thinking Laughing " Dear Santa, please can I an Infinity". Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Pedantica, My particular bête noir (or whatever that is in Flemish!!) was Lille and Rijksel - at least when you leave Zeebrugge now they have new signs with both names on after that little issue the 600 miles to Tignes is easy follow Paris then Lyon then Lyon Airport then Albertville then Bourg - job done - less turns than getting to Asda!!
snow report
I used Apple maps on my iPhone last week driving from Dunkirk to Bonn and it was superb. I"m on O2 - downloaded the route on wifi on the ferry. Made the mistake of not turning off roaming on arriving at Dunkirk! As the OP said the first 15(?) MB on O2 costs £1.99 per day. I found that 15MB was used up after about an hour and a quarter
snow report
[/quote]
You couldn't exactly guess that Mons and Bergen are one and the same town! Twisted Evil[/quote]

Needs a bit of lateral thinking. Mons - say Monts (French = mountains) or Bergen (German = geddit). Obviously it's Flemish rather than German - hence the lateral thought. It works for quite a few Flemish/Walloon towns.
ski holidays
chocksaway, zwaarte beest is literal but the Dutch would Just say "bete noire"
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy