Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Samerberg Sue, @andy, Thanks for that. I will plan to take that route, but will be flexible. I currently drive the full length of the M3 to get to work, so am very used to roadworks! Just looking to get a hotel booked while its very cheap.

Ulm sounds like as good a place as any, thanks holidayloverxx,
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd go a differnt way ...
Calais
Oostende
Bruxelles
Bonn
Frankfurt
Nuremberg
Munchen
Salzberg

But its quite a while since I've driven that way.
I'd make a stopover somewhere between Wurzberg & Ingelstadt.

Check for the least roadworks ... and keep an eye on the weather.

Drive safely!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jonkgray78, the euro hotel is right near the motorway at gunzburg or there's another one a few km further on which I use but the name escapes me at the moment
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I live in Pongau in the winter and travel every few weeks in summer. The Calais, Lille, Namur, Luxembourg, Karlsruhe, Stuttgart, Munich can be good depending on the time of day. Transiting Luxembourg motorway between 1600 - 1830 can be a nightmare where the motorway ends. Plus side is the price of fuel at Luxembourg that can enable most cars to reach Salzburg before a refill. My VW Amarok(with winter tyres) will do Luxembourg to St Joann i Pongau Schwarzach on one fill. Lots of roadworks on motorway between Karlsruhe and Stuttgart and again in the Augsburg area.

For easy plodding Calais, Lille, E42 Liege, Aachen, Cologne, E35 Frankfurt A3 to Aschaffenberg, Würzburg, Nuremburg, Munich.

Both routes circa 11 hours Calais to Schwarzach with one stop at Lux for fuel. Used to get up at crack of sparrows from Norfolk to get a 1100 ferry but found that whichever route we got bogged down in tea time traffic. Frankfurt particularly bad at that time. Now we get up at Normal time, 1200 tunnel and decide which of the above two routes we feel like. If we go via Frankfurt the 1200 tunnel means we miss the rush hour at tea time. It means arriving at 2400-0100, but feels better to have a late night than an early start and still a latish night.

All caveated with two of us driving with 2 hour stints. Daughter and husband do the same in a oner(2 hour stints), but with two youngsters who need a couple of stops.

In bad weather the Frankfurt, Würz, Nur, Munchen is the better route for snowplough clearance.

On winter tyres and 4x4. Amarok is ok in 4 wheel drive for going up steep hill with winter tyres, but can be skittish in 2 wheel drive as the back end is very light(rear wheel drive). Our Skoda Octavia estate 4x4 with its Haldex clutch has been the best winter car ever(with winter tyres). 4 wheel drive gets you up a hill(sometimes) without winter tyres, but coming down, especially with tight bends, will be your worst nightmare.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good motorway hotel near Ulm
http://iq-hotels.de/00.html
Used it a few times, secure parking, warm and clean and right near the motorway intersections for all routes.
The Golden Arches of macdonalds are right next door if you like that kind of thing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy