Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine Forecast 28th December-4th January

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, i am going to Flaine over new year with the dates mentioned. I am getting really scared now however as looking at the other threads everyone is saying there will be no snow and that there is hardly going to be a snow covering...the temperatures are looking quite high!

Is this the time to really start to worry and perhaps even cancel! This is my only ski trip this season so i am really anxious! Please some guidance!!!!! Sad Confused
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whoyton1, hi. Yes your holiday it a total write off. Have you got insurance cover, if so, cancel and spend a week at one of our fabulous indoor ski centres here in the UK. There will be no snow anywhere in the alps until January 27th at the earliest. Were all doomed!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its so bad they are opening a week early for the weekend.

Have a look at the webcam and chill out : http://m.webcam-hd.com/grand-massif/grand-massif_flaine-1600

If you ski on piste I think it will be fine, with freezing temps at night for snow making and the bonus of a early season tan. Off piste less compelling...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mishmash, Thanks made me feel a lot better! Very Happy Just found this what do you guys think?: http://www.accuweather.com/en/fr/flaine/72021_poi/december-weather/72021_poi as you can tell i am still living in hope Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whoyton1, if we were currently in 1978 you'd be fecked. These days we can MAKE SNOW woo hoooo.

So the pistes should be fine.

Off piste will not necessarily be so great, but I mean, come on... it's really early in the season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

everyone is saying there will be no snow and that there is hardly going to be a snow covering

no, everyone isn't saying anything of the sort.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Quote:

everyone is saying there will be no snow and that there is hardly going to be a snow covering

no, everyone isn't saying anything of the sort.
Thanks, i was just looking at the weather 2013/14 thread and it got me worried :/
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whoyton1, part of the problem is that the last two seasons were so epic, everyone now thinks that's the new normal rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
Whoyton1, part of the problem is that the last two seasons were so epic, everyone now thinks that's the new normal rolling eyes
Yeh last season was awesome, and besides i was lucky the last bad season (2011) was the one when i was in the US for once so i missed it which means its quite different for me :/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have just placed my Xmas Ocado order as a hedge against no snow, supposed to be in France on 21 dec but it's not looking good and we might set off after Xmas if it doesn't snow soon, webcams show grass sticking out from the snow at the moment in Samoens...will decide at the last minute. Last year was brilliant, can't assume will always be like that.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Last year was brilliant, can't assume will always be like that

nor that if it is isn't brilliant it must be terrible. I've done the last 11 Christmases in the northern French Alps. A good mix, some rather mild and drizzy without great snow. A couple of lovely sunny ones - snow kind of OK. Couple of good ones with great snow - but they are the minority. The situation in early December, IME, is absolutely no guide, for good or bad, to what it'll be like at Christmas. You mention grass showing through the snow at Samoens (which of course is very low - often no snow down there when up in the Flaine bowl it's fine). It's not uncommon to see ONLY grass in early December but the present unusually high stability in the weather pattern is worrying - it is perfectly capable of not snowing for a month or two but I can't remember that happening in December in recent years.

If this Christmas produces skiable pistes and blue skies and sunshine I'll be very happy. Austrian partisans are inclined to make the sweeping generalisation that French pistes are rocky and need deep snow to cover them. Truth is that whilst there is a huge variety of pistes (and everything else) in France there are loads and loads of pistes on pastures which don't take much covering.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whoyton1, seems like very low probability of snow for next couple of weeks. But there could still be white christmas. However we'd want to be seeing change in forecast in next couple of days if thats a likelihood. I have to admit for the 28th its looking a bit ropey. But wouldnt panic really for another week anyway
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was in Flaine today and there was snow. A few blues and one red open and just 1 euro for the day. Fine for a warm-up day pre-season!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No-one knows what it will be like at Christmas yet. But no new snow is expected in the next 2 weeks unfortunately. At the moment conditions are skiable, but I did see grass sticking out in the middle of pistes above 2200 m, lot of rocks and mountains look at the moment more green and brown than white. Also the coming week temperatures are expected to stay above freezing which means no snow-making. For lower resorts this is not good news but also for higher resorts as they will be much busier with no possibility for crowds to spread over greater area. It doesn't necessarily mean that the season will be with a poor snow, just a current state of affairs. A few years ago there was literally nothing until mid-January and then it didn't stop snowing well into May after lifts got closed. I am hoping when it finally starts snowing this season it won't stop for at least a week with a regular top-ups afterwards. I had enough of sunshine and blue skies over summer, and will take good snow and poor visibility any time over poor snow with beautiful weather.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

A few years ago there was literally nothing until mid-January

Puzzled what year was that? I don't remember it and I've been in the northern French Alps each winter since 2002/3
snow conditions
Whoyton1, see post above by never summer,

Things dont look rosy for 28th unfortunately
ski holidays
pam w, 2008?

I remember going to Morzine that year on about Jan 16th and there was absolutely nothing there until a 3 days before we went when they got 30cm
latest report
red 27, when you say nothing there, do you mean no snow in resort, or you couldn't ski anywhere due to no snow?
snow report
never summer wrote:
Also the coming week temperatures are expected to stay above freezing which means no snow-making. .

where are you getting this ?

http://www.accuweather.com/en/fr/flaine/72021_poi/december-weather/72021_poi

Looks like its below 0 most nights and at 1600 so loads of chance to make artificial snow.
snow conditions
I usually check the forecast on snow-forecast.com and it's also my observation. It was definitely colder on Saturday than on Sunday and this week is not expected to be cold. Anyway, snow is expected to arrive the weekend of 21 st. Lets just hope there will be a lot of it, and not just snow in the morning followed by sunshine. We all know what 2 weeks of sunny weather can do to the base which is not too thick to begin with... Not every run has artificial snow-making, so without fresh snow skiing will be limited to these runs that have + zillions of skiers.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, It was the latter. The resort was closed until about Jan 13th. Happily we arrived on the 16th and it was OK

It may have been a season like this one could be where an early dump had melted away. Or they may have had nowt.
snow report
red 27, I skied through that (and every other recent) January in Les Saisies - snow wasn't great but there was no question of the resort's being closed. But LS does have a much better snow record than Morzine, of course. wink In 11 winters, the only time the resort was closed when it shouldn't have been was the exceptionally warm spring a few years ago, when everything around closed early - LS kept going well after Brevent and Flegere, Les Houches and lots of other places. Locals said they couldn't remember any other early closure (the resort usually closes around 25 April).
snow conditions
red 27, ummm, I have a photo in from of me EXIF dated 13/1/2008 that I think is from the home run down from Brevent to Chamonix. And if that's skiable then there must be plenty of snow elsewhere and still snow on the trees.
snow report
You only need a couple of days of decent snowfall and its all change. Chill out

This is what ADH looked like 20 days before my trip the other year, i wanted green runs for the wife but not that green! I skied some of the best powder ever on that holiday.

latest report
pam w, under a new name, I'm wrong - it wasn't 2008. That was an epic year and I had a superb early season trip to Ski Welt in Dec 2007 before a very snowy Cervinia in Jan 2008.

Must have been Jan 2007 I'm thinking of. The Pleney side of Morzine & Les Gets were completely closed until right before we went

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 9-12-13 16:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
red 27, Must have abeen a year I kept my cam in my pocket. Best I can get is 14.12.2006 and there's less snow in our garden than there is now. Can't really recall the season I must confess.
ski holidays
red 27, under a new name, The rubbish year was 2006 to 2007. Christmas in les carroz was all man made stuff and not much of that, stones everywhere, I remember pouring ptex into my rock hoppers........... Flaine was open but was a zoo as people were brought in by bus... eventually we went walking instead which was rather nice!
ski holidays
carroz, red 27, lordy, yes, it was our first year in Geneva and we didn't get snow on our balcony until late January, and I do remember it arriving. I don't recall us having any guest related lack of snow problems in Chamonix however?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Indeed, I though I would have more pictures, I do.

January 7, Brevent. Note lack of snow off piste!! It all got much better later in the season.

snow report
under a new name, I dug up this thread about Les Gets from Jan 2007 where you posted in your old name http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22801
snow report
Worry about it on the 27th.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, good lord. How time flies and how opinions change. I am now seeking out black ski pants. Well, everyone else has gone fluoro, can't be following the crowd can we?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 9-12-13 23:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
under a new name, of course not. !!
snow report
Any one out there at the mo?
ski holidays
The Flaine webcams dont seem to be in very good positions. All long shots of distant peaks. Not much help when you are trying to see the pistes.
http://www.flaine.com/en/winter/webcam-en-winter-7.htm
snow report
Well it's not the piste but looks snowy
http://www.snoweye.com/?resort=fr_flaine
Little Angel
ski holidays
On the weather outlook thread somebody reported 20cms new snow in Flaine - sounds good.
latest report
Michael B, i'm not entirely sure that seeing a handful of pistes, which will be snow covered is going to inform you of anything.
snow report
Yeah I saw that Pam W very excited and I still have over a week to wait. Hope next week brings a bit more. It would be a nice christmass present for every one going out next week to get a fall on the 25th , snow forcast.com is predicting 18cm Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy