Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

THE LEWES AVALANCHE - anniversary walk, talks at the Snowdrop Inn. 27 Dec

Poster: A snowHead
Non-comedic item:

The snow avalanche at Lewes in Sussex, on 27 December 1836, was one of Britain's most unusual natural disasters: a substantial cornice of snow which broke away and crashed into a terrace of houses in the Cliffe district of the town. This was the most deadly avalanche in British history - one of a series of avalanches over a period of 48 hours.

Each year (since 2006) I give illustrated talks - 3pm, 6pm - at the pub which stands on the site of Boulder Row, where the seven small cottages were razed to the ground and eight paupers lost their lives. The talks focus on the historical context of the disaster, its causes and effects.

At 11am I'll guide a walk to about eight locations which explain the story, including the top of Cliffe Hill (over 200ft above the pub), where the snow cornice formed ... and the church at South Malling where the eight victims were buried and commemorated with a memorial tablet.

The events are free, with a collection for the homeless charity Shelter.
The Snowdrop Inn serves great food and drink, so you can time your meal before or after the afternoon and evening talks. The pub will be open for coffee before the morning walk.

David Goldsmith

THE LEWES AVALANCHE
Friday 27 December 2013: guided walk at 11am. Talks at 3pm, 6pm
The Snowdrop Inn, 119 South Street, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 2BU Phone: 01273 471018
http://www.thesnowdropinn.com

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewes_avalanche
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Lewes-Avalanche/140224212671822
Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/413902378731708/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll let my brother know about this, he lives just outside Lewes...sounds interesting.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sounds interesting, wish i could be there Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would go but we are skiing Very Happy If anyone wants to pop into my house a few miles up the road, and give the Christmas tree a drop of water......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
eddiethebus wrote:
sounds interesting, wish i could be there Smile

Oh yes, almost unmissable.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There a famous painting of the tragedy I think
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Yes, the painting is displayed at Anne of Cleves House in Lewes, along with a dress worn by a tiny girl called Fanny Boaks, who was pulled from the wreckage of the avalanche.

The Snowdrop Inn was built on the land between the horse and the building above it, where the seven cottages were struck.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's the one am I right in thinking it was the biggest avalanche in this country in this country with the highest number of fatalities.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
meandrew,

Are trying to wind David up?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nope why? I looked into this when researching avalanches in the UK .
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The other noteable one that happened was in chew valley near Saddleworth that killed some climbers,a place where you just wouldn't expect a avalanche.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Comedy Goldsmith, Isn't Anne of Cleves House in Ditchling?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mad-dogs/White_hell.html
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fabulous painting
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Swissie wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith, Isn't Anne of Cleves House in Ditchling?

It is ... but there's another Anne of Cleves House in Lewes!
The small collection of exhibits relating to the avalanche is on the first floor.

http://sussexpast.co.uk/properties-to-discover/anne-of-cleves-house
snow conditions
Best of luck, it sounds really interesting. I grew up just outside Lewes (in Ringmer), and I'm back there for Christmas but will probably have left by the 27th unfortunately, but I'll pass the information onto a few friends.

PS the Snowdrop is a great pub, and definitely recommended for food and a few drinks
ski holidays
Off topic - there's a Ringmer Avenue in Fulham - always made me chuckle.
snow conditions
Nice pub. But it does not look to be situated in a dangerous spot now. There is a tunnel between it and the cliff. Brewers Arms is another nice Lewes pub. Bonfire night in Lewes could be interesting.

Also Glyndebourne is just down the road.
snow report
Ah, a typical British memorial on the site, a pub!
latest report
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/23987303.story-behind-uks-deadliest-avalanche-lewes-revealed/
ski holidays
@davidof,
Careful, you'll invoke the spirit of DG.
snow report
For years I thought the pub was named after the flower.

We sometimes met there after flying on Mt Caburn. One of the local Hang Gliding Club members corrected my error about the pub name.
latest report
10 year old thread, but The Snowdrop Inn was my regular pub a couple of decades ago.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy