Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Espace Diamant

Poster: A snowHead
pam w, marmotte16, well I'm going to invite myself along on that day out too snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
anyone know what the situation is with the Gorge de L'Arly road at the moment?

http://www.ledauphine.com/faits-divers/2014/01/19/les-gorges-de-l-arly-fermees-pour-les-vacances-de-fevrier
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sorry, just to make that clearer. Does anyone know whether the road is closed between Megeve and La Clusaz or whether it is only the road after Flumet that is closed.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
charlie.wilkinson, still problems, it seems, but there is a deviation. http://www.savoie-route.com/routes_de_savoie-travaux-6.html Looking at google maps that deviation looks like being slow but probably very picturesque. wink

miranda, that would be great. snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks pam w, by my understanding that looks as though the section of road closed should not effect getting from Megeve towards La Giettaz and over the Col de Aravais?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
charlie.wilkinson, no, that doesn't involve the route from Megeve towards La Giettaz - the Gorge d'Arly is the section west of Flumet. The Col d'Aravis is sometimes closed by heavy snow but generally not for long - miranda would always be aware of any difficulties on that route.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, thanks for clearing that up, wasn't really sure where the gorge road actually started. Will give the Col a go tomorrow and see what it's like, don't think I've seen it shut at all yet this winter so fingers crossed.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Back on the snow today so did a bit of a tour to see how conditions were doing. The answer is that they're doing very well but I stopped at 2 pm when the south facing slopes were definitely getting grabby. Not slushy - didn't really see any slush - but sticky. I went over the "liaison" to Praz sur Arly, for a coffee in the Serrason Restaurant overlooking Megeve (it was too early for one of their delicious fruit tarts) then across and down to the bottom of Notre Dame de Bellecombe, at 1150. I was a bit hesitant about going down there but the piste - the blue Reguet - is delightful, and I was glad I did as the snow was absolutely fine, right to the bottom. That was at 1215. Almost all the pistes have very good snow cover - the only "brown" bit I saw was the piste down towards Notre Dame from the top of the Trois Coins drag - that's often a bit dodgy and it's not a pleasant piste. It's graded blue because it's an essential liaison to come back at high altitude but it's quite steep at the top and has a bad camber - which, along with the dodgy snow cover, isn't nice. It's short though. I didn't use it today because there was plenty of snow down in the Arly Valley and I wanted to come back that way to try the fast new 6 man Mont Rond chair - which is great, such an improvement on the interminable old one. The layout at the top of Mont Rond is now different - the only chair to the top is the Gueux.

There were people around, and Les Saisies village looked busy as I went over on the Chard du Beurre chair - lots of cars. But nothing even remotely resembling a lift queue - a very pleasant morning.

I know there are a couple of people coming to the Espace diamant this week. There's certainly no problems with snow cover in the bits I skied today (I'll go down to Hauteluce tomorrow to see how things are down there) but I suspect it'll be a week for packing by 3 pm at the latest because it's so warm. That sticky snow is hard work.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We are just back today from 4 days of skiing in the espace diamant, staying in Le Cernix. Was disappointed that I couldnt get any internet connection to contact you Pam to meet up as it would have been good to see you again, but I am sure we will be back again and will be more prepared before we leave. I just assumed I could get a wifi signal somewhere and message you through the site to make arrangments, but I couldn't get a signal anywhere. All the restaurants seemed to have a signal but were secured only.

We tended to stick to to les saisies and Crest Voland mainly because I like those areas the best. On Wednesday we decided to go to that restaurant we had went with you for lunch (near Mont Rond) but as we started skiing down the Aret, i was convinced that the restaurant shoujld have been there. A bit perplexed, we continued down the Vores run then down the Lac to the bottom. The snow cover was really in pretty good condition all the way to the bottom and even at 1pm wasnt too churned up. At the bottom we decided to take the Lac chair back up and head back over to the restaurant at the bottom of the Verdets button but I suspect that if we had of taken the Plan Desert button, we would have found that restaurant? but I find that the skiing on that side is not as easy cruising as Les Saisies and Crest Voland.

We had a glorious week basking in the sunshine. So much so that hubby didnt wear his ski jacket most days because it was so warm (I am not that brave lol - I did do one day without gloves and burned my hands lol) Most days the snow was great. By afternoon, as Pam said, it wasnt slushy it was just very sticky, sometimes a bit like velcro and for me going down runs which were half shaded, I had to watch my balance as I would go fast in the shaded bits then stick like velcro in the sections hit by the sun.

We particulary loved the Daoust and Ruine pistes and did them quite a few times as they tended not to be very busy (not that anywhere was very busy, we rarely had to wait more than 30 seconds to catch a lift) but the snow seemed really nice there too. We did the pechette run just the once. It was very chopped up at about 1pm (and was out of my comfort zone). We also did Sangliers which was in good condition.

The home runs into le cernix where we were staying were really hard work and very chopped up at the end of the day, but I suppose they wouldnt be much different to most home runs at that time of day. There was one section at the very bottom which was turning to mud (but no one seemed to use that section anyway). The piste bashers seemed to be doing an excellent job of maintaining the pistes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
polo99, There is free WiFi at the Tourist Office in Crest Voland.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, so much for Meteo France and their "quelques flocons" today. It's hammering down. Overnight we had 20cms in the village, 30cms up the hill and there's been a good few cms so far this morning.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
after the Shiite week I've had at work I'd so love to be in the ED now skiing fresh powder! I'm very envious of you pam w, enjoy!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jirac18, I'm not going to be skiing much, if at all, this week as I have visitors, including a 2 year old. I am on chalet maid and childcare duties. wink I hope the snow will still be good after I've driven them back down to Turin on Thursday.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pam - any thoughts on the runs holding up from this latest dump through to mid April? Can't quite make my mind up just yet....nothing like leaving it to the (very) last minute lol!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

any thoughts on the runs holding up from this latest dump through to mid April?

It's really difficult to tell at the moment, but much more optimistic now with some cold days and decent snowfall already, and more to come. I hope it'll be OK because my daughter and family are coming out in the school hols and will be v disappointed if there's not some decent skiing. I think it'll be OK up in Saisies but of course much of the lower part of the ED will be closed.
snow report
yep, am expecting the main Saisies area to be ok but i think NdB is shut, Praz will be closed and I suppose the links to Crest will be heavy if nothing else but I'm ok with that. Will keep a watching brief this week and then decide.

If nothing else, I'm expecting it to be fairly quiet as usual given the late Easter this season snowHead
snow report
skinutter, Crest Voland closes on 11 April. The linking drags have been replaced by a chair.
snow report

skinutter, after some doom and gloom about conditions I thought I'd post some pictures from this morning. This is a panorama of the Mont Bisanne side of the Saisies bowl.
snow conditions

This is the bottom of the Chenavelles and Girolles runs - on the south-facing side of the bowl, still looking good.
ski holidays

The top of the Carrets chair - and the green nursery run down
snow report

The Carrets lift and nursery slope in the distance - and the toboggan run on far left, which my 2 year old grandson enjoyed enormously last week.
ski holidays

not very relevant to snow conditions, but we've been entertaining the montgolfieres this weekend - a lovely spectacle.
snow report

Last but not least - still loads of snow in the cross-country area (this is at the bottom, on one of the easy green circuits).

As you can see the whole place is hideously crowded. wink
ski holidays
Snow depths are generally good but already dropped considerably from just after the last snowfall - 99cms and 166cms this morning. Another warm week will see those numbers dropping even quicker. Sad
latest report
Thanks for the visibility, seems to be holding up cover wise.
snow conditions
skinutter, yes, cover is excellent at the moment except on the "usual subject" pistes such as the south facing Bouquetins black run down to our place. In Les Saisies itself all the green, all the blue and all but 2 of the 13 reds are open. Apart from the Bouquetins the two steep narrow black runs (Cuberotte and Sapiniere) are closed but both are sun-facing and often sketchy. But no matter how deep the snow, you only ski on the top couple of inches and the sun is taking its toll!
latest report
Two great days in Les Saisies last week (good to see you again pam w having bumped into you just before my final run of the season Very Happy ). Great coverage on many (acutally most) of the pistes still, even on Friday though of course warm temps and sunshine doing their thing. We were able to get along the top as far as Douce. By the time we got to (2-3 ish I guess) bottom of Covetan lift, it was hard work in slush - what a comfortable chairlift though Laughing
latest report
Quote:

By the time we got to (2-3 ish I guess) bottom of Covetan lift, it was hard work in slush - what a comfortable chairlift though

yes - and fast. New for last season. The previous lift was a 2-man, both slow and uncomfortable. Nice to have been able to say "hello". snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

They're working hard on the pistes. This is just next to my apartment - south facing at 1550m, surrounded by grass and crocuses now.
snow conditions

I went for a walk above Flumet today. This was taken from my picnic spot.
snow conditions
spring has definitely sprung. We went on the Mountain Twister last week and the whole thing was surrounded by crocuses on the way up. Far cry from last season when the track was barely above the snow.

Still, rather be sat in Flumet in the sun than in the UK Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy