Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mountain Warehouse Kit

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Is this any good? DH and I are probably veering towards the geer snob end of the spectrum - but money is tight this year.

Can anyone recommend the quality of their stuff? The prices are certainly attractive. ALthough I am a little cynical about places that are "always" on sale!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used to have a cheap mountain warehouse shell (which looked a bit tatty after a couple of years frequent use, but still worked) and still have a pair of cheap insulated trews (though I don't use em a whole lot anymore). I think I had some ski socks from them too, but those weren't so good (the fabric was a bit thick, from recollection... might have changed now though). The gear was perfectly adequate. If you're on a budget they're worth a look.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It all depends on the demands you place on your gear.... If you're going to be high altitude skiing or touring then no I wouldn't waste your time there.

On the other hand, if you're the type of skier that avoids adverse weather conditions, enjoys plenty of coffee and cake stops and predominantly resort skiing then yes the gear at mountain warehouse is adequate.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was disappointed by how my daughters mountain warehouse stuff faired. I got her trespass gear this time which so far is wearing better.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tomb wrote:
On the other hand, if you're the type of skier that avoids adverse weather conditions, enjoys plenty of coffee and cake stops and predominantly resort skiing then yes the gear at mountain warehouse is adequate.

rolling eyes

I am not that kind of skiier. The insulated trews were warm, the shell was waterproof, and I got good use out of both.

Nobody needs four hundred quid jackets from premium brands in the latest high tech fabric in order to survive a ski trip.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree with Serriadh about not needing £400 jackets etc.

That said, my £25 salopettes (bought in April this year) from Mountain Warehouse lasted 3 days before the seams where the legs come together gave way, and I had to survive with a 12-15 inch tear - luckily just on the inside - for the rest of the week.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is of course always TK Maxx, or even ebay. Sportpursuit is also good for cheap kit, but it might be a bit late to use them to kit yourself out if you have a trip coming up soon.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have to agree with Serriadh here, I am certainly not that kind of skier either!! I wore wear MW trews for almost all of last season, and I'm packing them again right now to go back to the mountains this evening. Maybe they're hit and miss, but have a good look at the quality before you buy. Mine have a great cut, great pockets, fleece lined, waterproof and generally one of my favourite pairs I've ever found- I love them! The fleece makes them a bit hot for touring, but for skiing they're great, leggings underneath if it's really cold. I kit my son out from there every year, they're a GODSEND for kids gear, makes it ok to uy a whole new kit every year while they grow at a rate of knots!

I just had a look at the label, they say something generic like 'Extreme 1500', and I just discovered they have a little Recco, lol! Never even knew that (NOT that I would ever consider it a transciever- I'm just sayin!). And all for the grand total of €23.99, reduced in one of their random sales Happy

They're also great for light buffs, fleeces'/ soft shells & accessories.

I say go for it- just have a good look at the quality. And try TK Maxx first- they're better again Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Serriadh, I agree, I probably over generalised the point in my last post.

What I was getting at was.... that unless youre a ski tourer, work on the mountains or a professional of some sorts then the likes of mountain warehouse are fine.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've got a fair few bits of Mountain Warehouse kit, for me and my children, often bought off season when they're even cheaper. They're all fine and definitely good value.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bought a waterproof jacket at MW in the Summer when desperate. Never again - totally waterproof from inside and out, so overheated and damp when out walking. In winter no protection from cold so useless there as well. May be better for ski gear, but you would have to be careful if you want something waterproof.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've picked up a couple of their merino wool intermediate layers and based on a try-out at Hemel, so far so good. I'm a bit more wary of their outer gear tho'.

If you are on a budget then also consider Decathlon. I've bought skiing socks, jackets, gloves, glasses, and found all to perform very well. And it has lasted. Got two seasons out of the jacket before it needed a new zip and it kept me cosy in all imaginable weather. I see a lot of the locals in France using their gear - but generally from the upper end of the price range (which is still very reasonable).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Base and mid layers fine although the finish is a bit sketchy e.g. I have a fleece which isn't brilliantly stitched at the collar.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy