Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Traffic Question GVA to Ste Foy on Sat December 28th

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Being an American in London, the whole Saturday transfer day issues in the Alps didn't really cross my mind when booking a holiday. So we have a flight that arrives into Geneva at 1120am on Sat December 28th, picking up a rental car and driving to Ste Foy. Now looking at past threads about GVA and Tarentaise traffic, it looks like I'm going to learn the hard way about not starting a European ski trip on a holiday week Saturday!
Can anyone give me a rough idea of how long the drive will take, assuming no inclement weather? Have a car booked through Avis and have an Avis preferred membership, so hopefully that will keep things moving as far as picking up the car goes. So if we can get out of the airport by 12:30-1, would 4-5 hours be realistic to Ste Foy?

We're staying 10 days in Ste Foy before driving up to the Swiss Alps on a Tuesday, so not worried about the drive back.

Thanks in advance,
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marcs44, Welcome to Snowheads. The drive without traffic is around 2.25 hours. Saturday 28th will be fairly busy, especially once past Chambery, but shouldn't add another 3 hours unless there is a real problem (accident, bad weather...) so 4-5 hours is realistic IMO
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marcs44, 4 - 5 hours should see it, although it might be a little bit longer as that will be a very busy changeover day. The traffic will be pretty nose to tail.

Check you get a winter package with snowchains or you might not be allowed up the hill if it dumps on the day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
p.s. practice putting on the snow chains in the carpark. Take gloves as well.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marcs44, It took us 7 hours on the very same day last year...

Given that all of our travelling party have residences in Geneva or elsewhere in the Alps and didn't have to drive that day, it was a particularly stupid decision to travel on the busiest day of the whole year.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all the replies.
7 hours is pretty painful. I'm assuming the worst of the traffic is from Albertville to Bourg? Maybe we should ditch the car at the train station in Albertville, take the train to Bourg and have our chalet company pick us up, and then I can get the car on Monday. Train takes 1 hr and 15 min. A bit of a far fetched plan but maybe worth it....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marcs44, if you're away from the airport by 12:30 you should be ahead of the worst of it. I was also driving on the same day last year and it didn't take me anywhere near 7 hours. 3 and a half tops.

There are ways and means to avoid the worst of the traffic. I am not going to say any more on a public forum!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Steveomcd. That makes me feel better....
Any chance you could send me a message with some of your tips??
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevomcd, well, we just blindly followed the satnav and everyone else's satnav...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name, I live in Sainte Foy, local knowledge is king!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy