Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What size first powder ski

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Thinking of getting my first off piste ski.

I'm 5'9 ish (176-7cm)tall and 82-84kg (12.5stone).

What length would behest for me?

Cheers
Bob
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PS I normally ski rossi zenith 10's on piste at 170cm
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well for just adding rocker you can easily go 10 -15 cm longer so 185ish? Don't get suckered by anything less than 180 if you easily ski 170 in a purely piste ski.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about a 190?

Would that be too big?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am 6' and 13 stone. I have two pairs seeing regular use - one five point sidecut job with tip and tail rocker clocking in at 185 and one touring ski at 179. Do not be afraid of the longer end of the rack.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a pair of 186 Rossignol S3s. I'm about your height, and a little lighter. They're an entirely reasonable size for me. Considering selling them, if you're interested.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
glasgowcyclops, you can 'over-egg' the puddin' though . . .
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not really powder skis.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Many manufacturers offer guidance on length choice for their skis on their websites. Some will even answer a personal query. It would be worth checking the maker out once you have decided what ski to get. Better, demo a couple, and try different lengths to see how you get on.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
meandrew, . . . . . . . . . . rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, yeah I know sorry couldn't help myself.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.odysseyskis.com/fatskis.html
These should do ogre Vll
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
meandrew, why the SoH fail, bad day?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A bit was sat waiting for customer for two hours in my van bored and mad but home and my fire is now lit so I'm a happy chap again,Soh restored.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh and your van is fatter than mine ; ) in a good way.
snow conditions
glasgowcyclops wrote:
Hi all

Cheers
Bob

Have you ventured off-piste?

If not, then your money would be better spent taking lessons to help with the transition.
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
glasgowcyclops wrote:
Hi all

Cheers
Bob

Have you ventured off-piste?

If not, then your money would be better spent taking lessons to help with the transition.

Hi mike

I will be taking lessons but having a 2minute off piste in VT at the EOSB I realise that my piste ski is not suitable.

Would you suggest an intermediate all mountain to start me off? IE something about 95mm width? Or go for the full width 105mm ski
snow conditions
I'm a little shorter and lighter than you and do a bit of off piste but am not very good, I'm doing a week off piste course in January and skiing a lot this winter. Towards the end of last year I bought a pair of Line Prophets, 98mm wide, in 179cm. I used them a couple of times at Easter and found them pretty easy to ski, both on and off piste.
ski holidays
About equal or slightly over your height max +10 will get you there. It you have the choice and you do need to work at your technique i'd say away from anything with a load of tailrocker. a bit is okey but don't go wild, about 95-110 under foot is fine. It used to be that 100 under foot equalled crap on anything except powder, but that is no longer allways the case. Even my 128mm wide planks work surprisingly well on piste (it's still no RC4 though).

Flex should be not too stiff ( it will eat your legs leaving you tired to soon in the day), but not too soft ( that will make you feel like a superhero in pow but will be a bit like a rodeo ride when it gets choppy, and you will get away with bad technique) and preferably even flex.. so no floppy tip with hard tails ( you are looking for a swiss army knife ski not a specialty monster, and while it can work, the VW golf approach is beter for now.. might be a tad dull but it just works)
snow report
I usually say go long but for your stats and a first powder ski, 190 seems longish. Won't be a real problem if you get something like a DPS 112 with big tip and tail rockers, but you probably won't need all that length since you're unlikely to go Mach 2 just yet.

If you get a stiffer ski with less rocker, 190 is definitely too long. But don't go below 180 either.

Width? since you already have a piste ski, you might as well get something around 100-105mm.

It's more about overall geometry. I'd bet that you would find it easier to ski on my DPS 112s at 190 length than on my Tankers with 93mm waist and 180 length, or my Praxis Freerides (107/184). But probably none of those is your ideal first offpiste ski.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy