Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Equipment for test technique

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

The wife will be going for the test technique (the entry level slalom in the French instructor system) this season, and a question has arisen about equipment.

We were told by the ESF that her current skis (150 cm) were too short and that she needs 155 cm skis for the TT. I think this is because of the FIS minimum length for slalom.

Since our French is a bit ropey it was not clear if it was necessary to just meet the length requirement or to go all the way to FIS racing models. A search of Le Internet does not turn up anything definitive, does anyone know for sure what the rules are in France. Also since we will be shelling out for GS skis for the Eurotest, any information on that would also be appreciated.

cheers,

James
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try asking here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BASIMembers/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JamesHJ, I don't think anyone training in Tignes right now is using anything other than FIS spec SL skis.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ESF are correct - min FIS SL for Ladies is 155cm

http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/documentlibrary/Marketing/03/38/85/Competitionequipment_1314_30.09.2013_clean_English.pdf
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JamesHJ wrote:
Hi All,

does anyone know for sure what the rules are in France. Also since we will be shelling out for GS skis for the Eurotest, any information on that would also be appreciated.

cheers,

James

Forgot to say, it's not a rule for France, it's a FIS rule. Same would apply if your wife was racing in the UK. The document link I posted has GS info as well to help point you in the right direction.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think my confusion arose because SL skis are only limited in length and width underfoot. I guess this means that many skis qualify as 'FIS spec' even if they don't say so specifically. For example the wife is currently on Volkl race tigers, which sound like they would be OK (if they were long enough...).

Obviously for GS there are the additional restrictions on radius and many manufacturers list models as FIS XYZ. Anyway it will be interesting to see how tightly they check these things when she goes for the TT in the Spring as it all sounds rather informal.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
p.s. and rjs, what is going on in Tignes just now? A lot of Brits training out there for ski instructor courses?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I dont know if the skis have to conform to FIS for Test Technique but they no longer (this changed a year or two back) need to comply to FIS for the Eurotest. If the people from ESF you have talked to do no have the latest info their opinion may be out of date.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowrider, I'm pretty sure the Test Technique is a French system test, therefore the requirements they set are whatever they wish.

JamesHJ, most people training to be instructors will be in Tignes (and other glacier resorts) training for the Eurotest and Test Technique before the season starts. It may be worth sending Emma at Snoworks an email as she will probably know the requirements for the TT.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think we will be training in the mighty resort of Autrans in the Vercor Very Happy

http://www.autrans.com/

Not much in the way of nightlife, but a nice base for the kids and a really nice ski association. It sounds like the local ESF just put on a TT as and when they feel like it!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JamesHJ, There are Brits training for the TT in Tignes with Podium and a few with UCPA and Flaine Super Ski. UCPA probably have the most trainees overall.

There have been kids from Autrans in Tignes the last few weekends as well as lots from Villard de Lans/Voirons.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JamesHJ wrote:
It sounds like the local ESF just put on a TT as and when they feel like it!

The TT is arranged by the DDJS (DDCS) and is held in various regions of France during the season. You will have to look on the DDJS web site to find the actual locations, times, costs, rules etc.

The tests the local ESF's run are 'Chamoix' tests and are not to the same standard as a TT.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As ever the BASI web site has some useful information:

http://www.basi.org.uk/content/test-technique.aspx

Registration done!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy