Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner Lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon all.

I am trying to find the best place to take my girlfriend for beginner ski lessons in the UK. I tend to go twice a year and really want her to get involved. Just not sure of the best place or way to go about helping her get started on snow!!

Were based down in surrey and don't mind a drive.

Just after some advice on whether to do an all day lesson, a couple of 3 hr lessons or a few 1 hr ones!!

Thank guys
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm guessing, given your location, Hemel Hempstead is probably your best bet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
benpudney, Bowles Outdoor Centre has a dryslope. Located just south Tunbridge Wells.... www.bowles.ac is the website
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd definitely choose Hemel any day over a dry slope, especially for an intro to skiing of the female romantic variety wink
People will say I'm biased cos I ski at hemel so much, but theres a brilliant viewing gallery where from she can admire & photograph your prowess on the main slope, likewise you can see how she is doing under the instruction of some really friendly instructors. Open til 10pm. There's also a restaurant with huge windows overlooking the slope & a Snow & Rock shop on the ground floor.
It's the nearest thing you'll find to an alpine'ish atmosphere.
She'll love it

Check it out
http://www.thesnowcentre.com/about/virtualtour
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hemel, no question! She'll get a much better feel/understanding/platform and franzClammer's, advice about the gallery etc are all valid. That's not to knock any of the fine dry slopes or instructors.

If you do go the dry slope route, Aldershot's set up certainly used to be OK.

As to length of lesson? My sister had her first experience at Hemel - private 2 hour lesson seemed to work very well. Much more would have been a little tiring and intense, much less would not really have been long enough once the basic equipment chat etc had been taken care of. If you do want to stay longer (given the journey) than perhaps 2 x 2 hour lessons with a break for lunch.

If going for a group session, then longer would be fine with the reduction on personal attention.

Personally, I'd go the 1:1 route for maximum learning and progression.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Guys.

Yeah was thinking of doing a 1:1 lesson for her. progression in my mind is quicker that way! Hemel seems the way to go then!

I cant let her in on my prowess yet! Need to save that for a mountain cant be contained to an indoor centre!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
benpudney, good luck...hope either one or both of you have well paid jobs Laughing

Do come back and let us know how it all goes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well just looked at 1:1 lessons!!! might be a group one for a taster first!!!

Tell me about it Skiing for one is fine been doing it years and with a season in tignes under my belt I feel I can get down most things! But the cost for a newbie is crazy!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When have you booked for ?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
benpudney, talk to scooby_simon. Seriously.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
scooby_simon,

Not booked yet! Will be waiting to the new year to see when I can get one in???
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
benpudney, Have sent you a message; don't delay in booking; Last year we ran out of space from Mid Jan for most of Feb!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
scooby_simon,

Excellent I will wait for your message to appear

Thanks again
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
you should have it Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would agree with going indoors but bear in mind those places are very cold. The temperature is minus a few degrees and unlike skiing in the mountains you will not have the sun overhead to make it more comfortable.

The last thing you want is for your girlfriend to be put off the sport because of the cold. As she is a beginner I assume she has not yet bought ski clothing. Do make sure she wears plenty of layers and of course a warm hat.
snow report
richjp wrote:
I would agree with going indoors but bear in mind those places are very cold. The temperature is minus a few degrees and unlike skiing in the mountains you will not have the sun overhead to make it more comfortable.

The last thing you want is for your girlfriend to be put off the sport because of the cold. As she is a beginner I assume she has not yet bought ski clothing. Do make sure she wears plenty of layers and of course a warm hat.

Disagree; for a beginner they will be working fairly hard for the first hour or so.

Most people are way to hot on the first lesson; ski trousers; shirt; fleece, gloves and ski jacket will be more than enough; Hemel provide Helmets.
snow conditions
scooby_simon, just trying to sort out why I can send or receive PMs!!
latest report
Hemel is obviously the best option - but if she chooses to have a serious of group 1.5 hr lessons then don't dismiss having the first lesson on a dry slope. Essentially the first lesson will be learning about putting your ski's on, and only a small amount of sliding and a few metres of snow ploughing- you won't gain huge amounts from having that in a snow centre and it'll cost you a lot more than a dry slope. Then after that head to a snow centre - and the money you've saved can go towards having an extra lessons at the snow centre.
snow conditions
benpudney, Much much cheaper on the plastic --- and you won't have to drive all the way around the M25...... The carpet surface most slopes have now for beginners is safe, and easy to start.

I would book the traditional 3 group lessons for 2 hours. That way she'll be turning and using the lift before you go away. It's very very unusual to get that far in 1 hour -- even with a private lesson.
snow conditions
Thanks guys. Were not booked to go away anywhere yet I just want to get her started and into it!! So that she can come in future and enjoy the Hills!!
snow conditions
benpudney wrote:
scooby_simon, just trying to sort out why I can send or receive PMs!!

Top right hand corner of the screen. "Send/Read messages".

If you have not got it I can resend.
ski holidays
scooby_simon, can you resend I don't have anything in there and I cant send messages as im "down a crevasse"!!!
snow conditions
I can highly recommend Aldershot, they are friendly helpful and often only have a few people in group lessons. Daughter and I went last week and we were the only people on the slope. Plus once she masters linked turns and the lift you get unlimited skiing for £30 a month.
ski holidays
benpudney appears to be 'down a crevasse', that might hinder him from receiving PMs?
latest report
queen bodecia,

Help im stuck!! How do I get out from this Crevasse!!!
ski holidays
benpudney,

Have you got a valid email address set in your profile?
snow report
musher,

Yeah I get notifications of replies to posts via email!!
latest report
benpudney, Got the message yet? now that you are out of the crevasse !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Will be waiting to the new year to see when I can get one in

Well yes, you might get lucky, but meanwhile, don't forget about organising the skiing lessons! wink
snow conditions
pam w,

Thanks!!

scooby_simon, Nothing received yet tried sending you a PM as well!!
ski holidays
benpudney, replied Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy