Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Waterproofing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Anyone recommend a good waterproofer for my ski pants that I wash in? I've used one before I thought would be good but...it wasn't! Anyone have any good ideas I could try that is cost effective?

Cheers

Colt
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nikwax
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go to a chandlers and get the Musto re-proofer. It out performed others in a recent test. Otherwise use Nikwax, it is widely available. Remember to activate it by either tumble drying, or at least hanging in a warn airing cupboard.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for Nikwax. I have a Montane eVent jacket (a derivative of goretex) which lost all it's waterproofing. Gave it the old nikwax treatment a few weeks ago and it seems to be back to how it was although I can't comment on how breathbale it has remained
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nikwax is the most environmentally friendly, as I understand it. This also means it lasts the least amount of time, because all those toxic fluorocarbons in the other brands make for a really good, long lasting DWR finish. There are plenty of good non-nikwax alternatives that are often cheaper (Grangers is good, but I haven't tried any of the others).

Hunt down some instructions before use, especially as regards washing in soap rather than detergent, and cleaning out your washing machine thoroughly first (unless you're going to do it all by hand, of course!)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dsoutar, eVent and Gortex are different products and go about their job slightly differently, not that it affectes how they should be washed.

You must clean your machine of all fabric softener traces or you may as well not bother.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I rate the Grangers 2 in 1, used it last 3 years and works brilliantly on my Jacket. Note that you have to tumble dry after washing to get the proofing to work to full affect.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/grangers-2-in-1-30c-camping-toilet-chemical-p119691?gclid=CJKh3YTXlrsCFfHMtAodBBYAAQ
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yup, I scrub the dispenser, pour hot water through and then do a wash of my mountain bike gear with no softener in to flush the system.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone, some things to try here. The stuff I tired before (and can't remember the name) was terrible and the waterproofing seemed to last about one light snow shower. Not good.
Thanks for the advice. I knew I could count on Snowheads!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for cleaning the dispenser and then running an empty cycle to clean machine out
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy