Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What poles?

Poster: A snowHead
I've had a couple of pairs of anonymous v.basic aluminium poles in the past 3 years and wonder what the value in upgrading , although I never seem to remember falling or catching the poles but as the weeks go on I notice them getting more and more distorted, So whats a good ski pole for a 6'3" male? or should I resign myself to buying and chucking away every season...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unless you're touring, just get whatever's cheap, in a cool colour and has a comfy grip. A small bend doesn't mean you have to chuck them either, btw.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I assume by distorted you mean bending? I've never had a problem with poles bending - are you just doing normal piste skiing or as Clarky asked are you touring? Out of interest what length poles do you use? johnor
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
6'3" probably 130 cm poles. Once poles start to bend they can carry on doing so more easily. If you are happy to bend them back no real problem, but they are getting weaker. My basic alu poles from pre 2000 seem to last for ever - it is the others that seem to be problematic. Stick to cheap, however, agree with getting something with a good engaging grip - usually £25 plus Scott or Atomic.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 3-12-13 21:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999 wrote:
Unless you're touring, just get whatever's cheap, in a cool colour and has a comfy grip. A small bend doesn't mean you have to chuck them either, btw.

This. I started off with carbon telescoping poles and, over time, have downgraded to a pair of cheap non-telescoping poles. They are fluorescent yellow so that they are easier to find in deep snow off piste. I honestly don't notice the weight difference.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you are just skiing on piste and you find that you have a problem bending them,just get some composite poles. You have to go some to break those.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
These are probably the prettiest ski poles I've seen in a long time:
http://www.blackcrows-corp.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=389%3Afurtis-13-14&catid=25%3Apoles-detail&lang=en

Shame they cost a bazillion quid.

I like the idea of the longer handle rather than having the poles collapsible as I rarely adjust the length of my poles (mostly so they take up less room in the car!).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I started with basic carbon composite poles, but they are often actually heavier than alloy (in the telescopic versions anyway), I found that banging snow from your boots with them causes shards to detach, plus I once snapped one. These days I have basic alloys and some nice touring poles for the off piste.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Surly you want a pair of these: http://www.coldpole.com/home.htm
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
just walk round under the ski lifts in late spring and pick a few up. The farmers use them as fencing posts for their electric fencing. Insulated rubber handles yet stick in the ground very nicely.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
musher, not really... if you manage to bend alu pole, you will certainly break carbon one (even expensive 100% carbon ones) with that. Carbon poles are stiff and all that, but they break easily... really easily. Personally I wouldn't go with alu poles myself, but thing is, if I would need to pay for these poles, I'm not sure I would be ready to pay 150+eur for decent carbon pole (those cheap ones for 50eur or so, are worse then alu, so I would stay away from those). But let's say I don't need to bother with calculating how much poles cost, so yeah, I'm staying with carbon ones Very Happy
For xc skiing on the other hand, I would go with 100% carbon poles only, even if I would need to pay for them (250-300eur/pair). But xc skiing is completely different thing then alpine, when it comes to poles.
Thirsty, for lenght... I'm 181cm and I'm using 130cm, so 130 would be a bit short for you I would say. But it also depends a little bit about how you are skiing.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jeez, poles are poles, get ones with a grip you like and big enough baskets. Buy the right length or longer and be prepared to cut down. Or buy BD alu flicklocks then don't worry about anything til you snap a tip off after 300ish days. Guaranteed mogul improvement if you play with shortening your poles a bit too wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob, or jam them up with volcanic ash. Am currently 'working' on my poles in order to unjam them. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Make sure they reach the ground. Pointless if they don't.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
meh wrote:
These are probably the prettiest ski poles I've seen in a long time:
http://www.blackcrows-corp.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=389%3Afurtis-13-14&catid=25%3Apoles-detail&lang=en

Interesting concept. Wonder how the lack of ergonomic grip performs, though?
ski holidays
Zero_G, first time I've seen it was on even more expensive poles. The Panda Poles guys do two kinds of long grip. There's probably more though.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy