Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Style dilemma ;-)

Poster: A snowHead
Ladies, I have a (VERY first world) problem, can you help me?!

Which of these two ski jackets would you choose...

Hyra: in Black WP: 10,000mm/H2O, MPV 5,000,
http://www.hyra.it/prodotti.asp?codArt=HLG0360&IdCat=746&App=737

Or Bench: In turquoise. WP: 5,000, MPV 5,000.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bench-Breaker-Jacket-T%C3%BCrkis-green/dp/B006IAWGSK?tag=amz07b-21

Trousers are purple or black

I was happy with the Hyra till I saw the Bench one, now I can't decide. Major dilemma, lol!! Can't really justify buying both- am stockpiling ski gear at this stage!! But want something warm and dry for Dec & Jan, I already have light ones for the springtime.

Opinions appreciated! wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Humpfknick, Looks-wise, I prefer the Hyra - I have a different one of theirs and really like it. Technically good, warm and dry, looks pretty good. I'd think of the Bench jacket as more of a fashion item than functional

HTH Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Montana, yes I guess I'm doing what I said I'd never do- choosing a piece of ski kit for the colour, lol!! The Hyra also has a detachable hood, which I prefer with the helmet. Warmth was a concern with the Hyra because it's so streamlined, and I reckoned I'd fit more layers under the Bench one, so it's great to hear you've tried their stuff bofore. The Hyra also has more pockets wink

I want to try them both in the snow, lol!!

Thanks a mill for your response Happy xxx
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bench us a fashion brand , and chav.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hyra would be my choice easily. Will never go out of fashion. Flattering cut, black with a splash of colour means you can wear any ski trousers with it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bench is so chav it's even chav over here . . .
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Filthyphil30k, I'm just comparing the quality of the two jackets- errr the Bench one has a glove clip that's like something off Barbie's ski jacket, lol!! OK common sense is restored and practicality prevails- I'll choose substance over style!! (If OH saw this discussion he'd think I'd lost my mind, lol!) I've never given this much thought to the colour of a ski jacket before. I must be excited wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Definitely prefer the first one. Who would want the word 'Bench' emblazoned across them in large type? To me a 'bench' is somewhere to sit.

I agree with Filthyphil30k, these so-called 'designer' brands who advertise themselves in large type on every garment are for people who want to the world to think they have enough money to afford 'designer' gear...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PS by STYLE I mean COLOUR wink

Thanks eeryone- I was temporarily blinded by a nice shade of turquoise.

They'd no Burberry, HAHAHAA wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree 100% queen bodecia, I can't bear kids cothes from Next for that very reason!! Honestly. Temporary insanity. Am also pocket obsessed, and the stupid double zip on the front of the Bench one is just an obstacle Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, the black one - great shape, love the contrasting colours. Don't like anything about the other one including the colour. Peacock blue suits peacocks. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lol! There's also a lot to be said for maintaining a discrete presence on and off-piste. You're right pam w, in a peacock blue jacket every move would be noted and dissected over beers lol. wink

Masque, I've no idea where you are but that sounds bad, lol! I will avoid chav at all costs. I didn;t notice the print so much initially because it's the same colour as the jacket, but now it's all I see! Chavtastic wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you are to learn one thing today, that thing should be NEVER WEAR BENCH.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hahahahaa Fergus, lesson learned. Also, never allow colour to influence your choice of ski gear! Now that the colour blindness has lifted, I can accept that there is no comparison between the two jackets. Bench me back bottom. Lol wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OMG did that just change back bottom to back bottom?! AAAHAHAHAAHAA!! Omg that is hilarious!! Happy
snow conditions
Ar5e??!! Is that really such a bad word! Ohhh funny. Another lesson learned today!! Happy
ski holidays
TK Maxx on ice. wink
snow report
Also, never allow colour to influence your choice of ski gear! [/quote]

Wait, what? Shocked
snow conditions
Spyder doing some lime green saloppettes.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Humpfknick wrote:
Also, never allow colour to influence your choice of ski gear!

Wait, what? Shocked

Sounds like crazy talk.
snow report
Well, within reason- I mean I'd rather be dry than co-ordinated! Although I do try wink The Turquoise would have been the co-ordinated choice (but CHAV, I get it!!). I HATE skking in wet gear- i will suffer any style consequences if it means I am warm and dry Happy
snow report
Another vote for Hydra Toofy Grin Could never wear Bench-far too chavtastic Laughing
snow conditions
meribel46, haha!! Yes the emblazned writing is beautifullly chavtastic alright. Am delighted with the vote of confidence in the Hyra- my decision making skills were very poor today!! Happy
latest report
Filthyphil30k wrote:

Oh it's all emerald green these days daaahling wink
snow conditions
Humpfknick, The Hydra one is very stylish, sometimes less is SO much more Toofy Grin
latest report
Thanks meribel46! In fairness to the Italians, they certainly know how to do style- and in this case they seem to have nailed the practicalities too! Loads of discrete but spacious pockets, windbreaker neckline, hood is detachable, but also has a double lining to close right in around your face for waterproofing, snug snowskirt, stretchable, breathable, loads of really neat little design features. i can't believe i doubted it for one second! wink
snow conditions
Ah Humpfknick, you'll never beat the Italians for style Cool I Have to say things like the pockets & neckline make or break a ski jacket & as a girl who buys a new jacket almost every season (10 years of skiing & 9 jackets in the wardrobe Blush ) I know a thing or two about jacket purchasing Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Yes I agree Meribel! I'm the same, forever buying ski jackets but I've only ever had one I loved- but I hate the colour!! (It's a kind of pinky shade- I have issues with that colour, lol). I have another i love the colour of but its not warm enough for deep winter! So I bought a lovely warm down jacket last year but the waterproofing it terrible on it. I just want a jacket I can throw on without doing a weather analysis in the morning, that's still light enough for touring, warm enough for long skiing days and isn't pink Smile Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Definitely the Hyra - here's a thought though, why not get the Hyra in the blue? Pop on a white helmet/hat and you'll look awesome!
latest report
Humpfknick wrote:
I just want a moon pony

That's a pretty tough set of requirements! Some of the new hydrophobic down gear might fit your needs, though it seems kinda surprising that there's no decent synthetic jacket that would do the job. Not that I can make any useful suggestions there, as its kinda hard to judge what other people think is 'warm enough'. Might be worth looking at what the more mountaineeringy brands have to offer, if you've not already done so?
snow report
[quote="Serriadh"]
Humpfknick wrote:
I just want a moon pony

How did you know??! Haha, one who doesn't cost the Earth though!! I have a mini-skier w costs just as much to gear up every year...

Ah it's not really a tough set of requirements, more trial and error. I don't mind layering up/down for touring/cold weather, I'd just like to settle on something versatile. That was really the only draw of the Bench jacket (besides colour), the style is quite like the pink one, and it had vents. (the only thing I can find that the Hyra is lacking in).

If I splashed the cash I'm sure I'd have no prob finding exactly what I'm looking for! wink
snow conditions
Handy Turnip, Yes I have a white helmet- OMG it'll clash with the black, lol!!! The blue is lovely, but it's very bright- I was afraid it'd go dull pretty quickly?
latest report
Humpfknick wrote:
Filthyphil30k wrote:

Haha, you are a welcome addition to snowheads
snow report
Filthyphil30k wrote:
Humpfknick wrote:
Filthyphil30k wrote:

Haha, you are a welcome addition to snowheads

Haha! Why thank you. Glad to see my observations on the 40 shades of ski-gear-green have finally come good wink
ski holidays
I put you right on Bench gear. Xx
snow report
Filthyphil30k wrote:
I put you right on Bench gear. Xx

And I thank you. I shall forever remember the advice I got here today wink
latest report
Humpfknick, X-pond . . . currently Florida . . . which is home to septic chav. The black Hyra is cut and trimmed out with real style and taste, flattering and elegant. Some nice tight stretch sallys in any of the 3 colours and we have a winner Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Now there's another question Masque! Those soft shell salopettes- are they really warm enough? REALLY? Or are they more spring attire?
snow conditions
Humpfknick, depends on the quality, the good ones have a windproof membrane over the chest and arms but even if the don't there are great running and cycling mid and base layers with this. I layer with very light kit but I'm built with an internal furnace and often now ski without gloves or just very thin cycling ones. Remember that most of the time we ski we're in relatively benign conditions and it's only when the weather turns that we need to up our kit. I carry a good spare fleece and heavy gloves in my pack and also a basic emergency kit that includes air activated heat pads. A buff is pretty much an essential and if the conditions are soggy, spare socks.

If your soft-shell isn't or has lost its waterproofing then a good hardshell in your pack will suffice for sitting around in the cold and wet. That one you're looking at is a quality garment and will be fine for recreational skiing within a resort . . . a 50km trek into the wilderness might be more of a challenge for it. wink
snow report
Oh sorry when you said stretch sally's that's what I meant- trousers in soft shell wink

Re: the jacket I agree entirely- will layer it up in the colder weather, have a different jacket for those "trek into the wilderness" days!! Doing one of them on Friday... Then lifts open on Sat & I get to test the new jacket. Will report back!! wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy