Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski locks - do you use one?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello! I'm a university student from England and I'm working on a project which involves designing a new product. We'd love to get some feedback on our idea - a sturdy ski lock.

Do you use a lock currently? If not, would you consider using one if you had your own skis? Currently ski locks are all rather thin cables - would you buy a more secure, rigid one that clipped around your skis (+held the poles)?

Thank you!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes after some french pikey stole my hire skis.

your product should be smaller, lighter and cheaper than the ones you reference.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Renate, No - I have enough clobber in my pockets without anything else - if we are somewhere that we think is a bit iffy we might split our skis, then they are really a Little and Large pair. Always feel quite secure in the PDS - famous last words I know.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Renate wrote:
would you buy a more secure, rigid one that clipped around your skis (+held the poles)?

Thank you!

I'd like a Kevlar locking cable tie/handcuff type device with a combo lock. Has to be flexible to fold in a ski jacket pocket, no key to lose, stronger than existing cable locks which I use (the alarm versions).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use a skinny cable lock, in fact I use 2 as you can join them together. Normally they're being used to secure 2 or more snowboards, and a set of skis. Thats the benefit of a simple cable lock - they're simple and flexable in how you use them. We all know a thief will bypass them in very short order, but they will deter the casual thief or an accidental pickup.

Anything that clips around skis will have to take a wide variety of thinknesses and widths, will have to be easily attached to a solid object like a rack, be robust enough to withstand basic assault and the cold conditions on the mountain while being small enough to be unobtrusive when in a pocket, at a price people are willing to pay.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hobbiteater wrote:
yes after some french pikey stole my hire skis.

your product should be smaller, lighter and cheaper than the ones you reference.

+1 to both, except it wasnt hire skis it was my own.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pamski wrote:
Renate, Always feel quite secure in the PDS - famous last words I know.

It was in the PDS that we had skis stolen!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, because my insurance only covers skis that are "forcibly removed". I generally try to dine away from restaurants by bus stops, cable car/gondola top stations etc.
Loss of poles is less of a problem. Don't need them to ski, and most punters could probably ski better technique without anyway. Only cost €30 to replace.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I tend to use a cable lock, like the one in the link below. They are generally smaller than a cigerette lighter, so take up no space at all in my pocket. They may not deter the most determined thief, but it'll do enough to make them look for an easier a target (and it stops anyone taking your ski's by misatke).

http://tinyurl.com/prwx5ah

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 3-12-13 21:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
^ ^ that's what I use too, because it's small and light. My view is that a dedicated thief will be able to cut through pretty much anything and that this will suffice
to deter the opportunistic thief and keep the insurers quiet.

Please could a mod fix the page width caused by the above link? Thanks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
there's also this one a bit bulkier http://eu.dakine.com/p/snowboard/tools-locks/fall-13-winter-14/cam-lock?clr=BL1
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andyrew, that was a shame -

I think we are much more cautious if we happen to have stopped somewhere that has a quick getaway by road or gondola for example. I had a friend who was sitting in a deckchair somewhere in the 3V and her poles were planted in the snow in front of her and she saw this guy ski towards them and just pick them up and ski off before she could get herself out of the deckchair. And they were rather special ones, probably why. It would have to be a fairly midget size person who could get much use out of my skis.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tostop Page width problems people could use tinyurl dot com
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just use a cheapo bike lock that's got a long-ish coiled cable (key not combination). yes heavy-ish, but better than the 2mm wire-and plastic case things (seem v. easy to break).
It cost maybe 4 quid - i did need to remove some plastic so the metal end of the cable (a plug) is narrow enough to go through the bindings.
Does the job in as much as a thief will go for one of the un-locked pairs of skis next to mine.
I guess I could loop the lock though the hand loops of the poles - but never bothered.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

her poles were planted in the snow in front of her and she saw this guy ski towards them and just pick them up and ski off before she could get herself out of the deckchair. And they were rather special ones, probably why.

what a nerve! My poles are almost old enough to be verging on becoming valuable antiques. It really wouldn't matter if somebody knicked them. I would replace them with another tatty old pair. I can see the point in having expensive skis - or even expensive jackets, if they are nice. But expensive poles?

I've never used a ski lock, though splitting pairs is common. I did have a pair nicked, but I had rather foolishly left them by a bus stop and hiked off to find a friend in a restaurant. It was a Sunday and the police said that was always a bad day, as there were lots of visitors around.

I probably wouldn't use a lock, especially if it just held the skis and poles securely together, ready for somebody to ski past and tuck them under his arm.
ski holidays
I use a small coiled cycle lock, key operated to keep the size down and a 10mm braided cable so pretty difficult to snip. My touring bindings are worth three times what my skis are, so I don't like taking chances.
snow report
Avalanche Poodle, what do you find to lock them to?
latest report
Thanks you everyone, very helpful!
snow report
I use a small retractable cable lock that cost £8. More to stop people picking them up by mistake than security.

However, it also ensures my insurance isn't invalidated if they are pinched as it means I've taken precautions and not just left them unattended and unsecured. My insurance requires them to be secured to a ski rack.

I also split skis with friends.

I always thought a lock that somehow meant the binding couldn't be used would be a good idea. Not sure if there is anything out there like that?
snow report
Boosterfaceman wrote:
I use a small retractable cable lock that cost £8. More to stop people picking them up by mistake than security.

However, it also ensures my insurance isn't invalidated if they are pinched as it means I've taken precautions and not just left them unattended and unsecured. My insurance requires them to be secured to a ski rack.

Exactly this. I can pull mine apart with my hands, but it ticks all the other boxes.
ski holidays
No, don't use a lock with my own or hire skis. Too much far for too small a risk.
snow report
pam w, It's long enough to go round the wooden frame of a ski rack, and narrow enough to fit through the binding mechanism. Only once can I recall not finding anything and we split our skis and locked about 5 odd pairs together through the bindings.

It's similar to this but the lock part is smaller. I have an extension loop I sometimes use for motorbike helmets, if I used that as well I could lock about 6 pairs of skis.

snow conditions
I don't always lock them high up on a mountain though, it's mostly if we lunch near the bottom, or stay for some Apres.
ski holidays
I bought a lock, never used it and now can't remember the code Embarassed
snow report
I don't have a lock but if I ever did consider buying one, I would want one that electrocuted anyone tying to cut through it. That way you can keep the cable thin and light and give the thief a nasty buzz.
snow conditions
Quote:

I bought a lock, never used it and now can't remember the code

Laughing well that's better than forgetting the code after you've locked the skis outside a mountain-top restaurant.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 3-12-13 23:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I'm wondering if I've ever seen a pair of locked skis, round our way. Very few, for sure. There are some paying locking places at one of the restaurants but I don't think many people bother.
latest report
Quote:

I would want one that electrocuted anyone tying to cut through it.

Spot the Saffer Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A lot of the cheap combo locks can be picked fairly easily. Mosha Marc, PM me for details. I've tried it on most of the small ones I have and I can find the combo within a couple of minutes.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 4-12-13 15:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Avalanche Poodle, I'll see if I can find it again first Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Renate, this has been done many times - check out these threads:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2375646&highlight=lock#2375646

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66452#1582937

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=85963#1970538

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=60126#1432159

Those are some of my postings, but view the whole threads for lots of info
ski holidays
I always use a lock, had a pair of kids skis nicked in Courchevel once and had an entire skibag nicked from the back of a transfer bus once (where a ski lock wouldn't have helped) so am a bit twitchy about thieving gits in ski resorts. I use a small cable lock just as a deterrent and hope a thief would choose someone else's unlocked skis. They are my own skis too which replaced the last nicked pair. Tempted to onvest in a small bike lock now wink
ski holidays
Yeah I never remember combos as they are so easy to pick. Although the wire ones are trickier, too much play in the plastic I think.
latest report
5mm coiled bike lock with key . . . but make sure the lock is well soaked in WD40 'cos when they freeze rolling eyes Oh, and if they do a key without plastic can be heated in the lock to release. . . . Though anyone who wants to steal my knackered old Nomads and B'Bombers will have a job on their hands. Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

some french pikey stole my hire skis.

How do you know he (or she) wasn't a British citizen born in Kenya of a Russian mother? For example. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Lizzard, that Froome gets everywhere Shocked
snow report
Why can't manufacturers simply build a rfid into their skis, with the unique serial number also embossed into the top of the ski, and manage a simple database so that any stole skis can be tracked back to their owner? This should discourage professional thieves, while a lock should discourage opportunists and prevent unintentional removal of the wrong pair.

After some years of hiring, I have just bought a new pair of skis and so have invested in a Safeman lock to encourage any thieves to nick someone else's rather than mine. I shan't leave them outside a bar in the resort while I drink a glass or two of après-ski toffee lemonade, either Smile
ski holidays
Peterkct, I had this very same discussion about RFIDs (but using your own mobile phone to track them) with my sister 5 years ago but, at that point, RFIDs couldn't operate at such cold temps. Have things changed?

musher wrote:
Quote:

I would want one that electrocuted anyone tying to cut through it.

Spot the Saffer Toofy Grin

Laughing Laughing Laughing you can take the girl out of...
snow report
Zero_G, I guess the rfid would only need to work at normal temperatures. If the number was also embossed into the ski, a potential buyer could look it up to see whether it had been reported stolen, and the radio check would be be a confirmation for the police or whoever. None of that would stop the opportunist nicking skis for his/her own use, for which you need a lock. Rfid plus lock have been standard practice for motorbikes for some years. I have used the combination for mbikes parked in London streets and none has gone missing - though of course I cannot prove cause and effect.
snow report
Ski passes are RFID based these days so I don't see why temp should be a problem?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy