Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

atomic panic/rival a good 1st ski to buy ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

winter approaches and yet again I'm thinking , why don't i buy some ski's instead of renting.....

SO, wasted a couple of hours on the web and hmm... 'all mountain twin tips' maybe that's for me ?

I tend to go sking with snow boarders, thus while I mostly end up on-piste skiing (france or austria generally), I also end up messing about in the snow park and flailing though trees / soft stuff on the piste edges etc.

These atomic twin tips sound fun, but should i get more of a piste-specific ski ? My thinking is :
A twin tip so can be skied a bit backwards (= messing about potential),
rocker tip and tail so I might be able to survive turning in soft snow and moguls,
not stupidly wide, so that I can turn them,
not too heavy or stiff that I get pissed off with them when I'm tired, (i think i need to avoid going too long as well)
Potential to try to learn to ski in soft stuff properly.
(also not too expensive)

Is this flawed reasoning ? anyone ski this things ?

Also, I'm a bit put off by the fact that they are flat skis, so I'd have to get bindings drilled- eek.

I'm a clasic crap intermediate, Embarassed can get down black runs, but can easily end up in 'survival mode', esp. steep moguls...

Gareth.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Getting bindings mounted is painless, though it may require some travel or postage considering where you live which will bump up the price and faff-factor a bit. Might be easier to buy from somewhere that'll mount em up for you. Lots of shops do that.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Lots of shops do that

provided you can tell them the sole length of your boots - though some won't do it without the actual boot (e.g. snow and rock last time I tried, and Decathlon). I once wanted to buy a pair of skis in Decathlon, in a sale, for a present - but they wouldn't put the bindings on, although I could tell them the boot size. It's a safety thing, I think.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Clearly it is time to find a more disreputable shop!

I know that both Sport Conrad and Glissshop will certainly sort you out without you having to bring them your boots, and they're both a splendid source for cheap skis.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi, thanks for the binding advice.

regarding continental shops - what do people think of this place ? seems very cheap (which may be good or bad !)

http://www.snow-how.de/atomic_vantage_panic_2014-34-1-7-2441.html

250 euro ski & binding for the panics !
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Of course, the more important question is, are these the wrong ski for me ? I've not found much on the web about them.

Rather unsure about the 87mm width (i've ski'd an 83 wide ski - wasn't a big fan, but I think that ski was a bitt too long and a maybe bit heavy so not necessarily a width issue)

but at 250 euro, maybe it's not a disaster if I don't get on with them...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
so no one knows about these skis ? that make me think that maybe they arn't popular, and that might be because they arn't much good ? the only reviews I can find on line are from sellers/ shop-staff saying 'these are great !'

maybe i should get antomic nomads or dynastar outlands rather than twintips......

confused as ever! Embarassed (also I can't quite work out if the price in snow-how.de is correct or an error on their website )
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy