Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Freeride Salomon board shall I get?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a new Freeride Salomon board for the season: http://bit.ly/1cNp2am

Am I safe with a Derby or Powder Snake or should I go for the more expensive Sidestick or XLT?

Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cloudkicker, To be brutal, unless you're Craig Kelly it doesn't really matter a toss which you choose unless you have the chance to ride them all back to back and make an objective choice.

Height weight and skill will determine size and stiffness and if you're out for the season you'll be riding in all conditions and not just bоllосk deep powder, so regular camber with some tip rocker will be a nice compromise. All the marketing bull in the world doesn't disguise the fact that most decent snowboards are all within a gnats testicle of having similar performance.

edit: Hi snowHead and welcome to the asylum.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I rode the Sick Stick and thought it was ok. The model year I rode was directional and worked in powder, which is all I rode it in. On balance it wasn't quite responsive enough for my weight. The 160 was a bit too stiff, the smaller one was a bit too small.... we just weren't made for each other. Overall I thought it was probably a board for piste riders who like the idea of a fake "twin" and maybe dabble in powder. Not really for me, but perfectly good.

If you're going to buy without riding then obviously go for the cheapest, otherwise ride the boards and see if you can tell the difference. The Sick Stick was well enough made - what you'd expect for the prices.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers for the advice guys.

Yeah it might just be the usual chat but I heard Salomon spent the most on their R&D out of any other board maker. Is this legit?

I have a Burton Custom atm, but she's getting pretty outdated, so not good for the deeper pow or backcountry riding.

What do you think about the Derby?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Find an 2001 Jason Ford Fastback in 174 - now that was a freeride board

http://snowboarding.transworld.net/1000030592/photos/backcountry/snowboard-life-top-25-salomon-fastback/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cloudkicker, Snowboard design is not progressing in huge leaps and bounds and every year the marketing hype is just that 'cos all that's happened is a wee tweek here or there that you are not going to get any noticeable performance difference out of unless you have World class steeze. Just relax and buy summat that's a wee bit longer or wider for riding the soft stuff . . . seriously, just don't fret about it, buy whatever fits your size/weight, pocket and style.
That's got to be an old 'Custom' 'cos nipper's is 6 years old and still a fine tool.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's about 8 years old and too small for me now, so definitely doesn't float well enough for my liking!

Thanks for the advice though, really useful - I hadn't thought of it like that.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Snowboard design is not progressing in huge leaps and bounds

While the mainstream doesn't seem to be moving too far from what they know, there are quite a few new designs around on the fringes this year. Swallows, splits, snubs, spoons and stumpies... if it begins with 'S' someones playing with it. Whitelines did a small bit on it...
http://whitelines.com/snowboard-gear/news-previews/unusual-snowboard-shapes-whats-the-deal.html

Welcome aboard Cloudkicker.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
what sort of riding do you do? I know your say your after a freeride board, but very people actually partake in "freeriding"....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would consider it freeriding but I wouldn't know what else to call it! It's mixing up tree runs with small cliff drops and wide open powder bowls - weather and location dependent of course...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy