Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A friend is going to Les Gets 14th dec.

Poster: A snowHead
A friend is taking his 2 kids (9 and 12) to Les Gets on 14th Dec.

I have never been there before but I thought that it was a bit low for skiing this time of year. He mentioned that it connects to Avoriaz which apparently is usually fine at this time of year.

I am going to my apartment in Val Thorens from next week and have been avidly following the snow threads and the snow looks like it should be fine there but looking at the freezing levels and the fact there doesn't seem to have been any snow yet in Les Gets will my mate be ok there?

Does anyone know Les Gets/Avoriaz well enough to comment? If it looks like he won't get any decent skiing then I think he probably has time to change bookings.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I thought Les Gets usually opens a few days before Christmas?

If there's no snow, and the lifts should be open, then i think they run a bus to Morzine so you can access Avoriaz. The Les Gets to Morzine link will be closed before Les Gets or Morzine (in my limited experience of 1 year where the rain washed all the snow away)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
emwmarine, PITA to have to haul ass up to avoriaz and back every day.

He should change it if he can - or perhaps join you in VT Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Indeed, Les Gets scheduled opening is 21st, as is PdS area pass. Impossible to say what Avoriaz is doing, since french ski resort websites are useless.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
He needs to check when the lifts are opening, I thought they were as of the 21st. Its a bit of a trek up to Avoriaz. Snow looks ok at the moment, but they also seem to be having a heat wave.

I assume he has got a great deal.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
emwmarine, very likely only weekend skiing in Les Gets (there is a good covering already and snow at village level) at that time. It would be worth checking with the tourist office as they sometimes lay on a ski bus up to Avoriaz. If not, it's a very easy drive to Ardent with plenty of free parking.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Avoriaz is due to open weekend of the 13th and I have read on FB that les gets is looking to do the same, however not sure what will be open. Mt chery seems to have some good cover but what it's like in town I can't say, pam will no doubt be along in a mo to enlighten us on the state of the other side that links to Morzine.

Getting the bus to Morzine, then the s-m lift when everyone else is using it will be a pita.

Better off driving, and using the Ardent lift maybe. Will take about 10 to 15 minutes from les gets, so no big deal.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmm. The TO he booked with have upgraded him to a better chalet as they said no-one else was in the chalet he had booked.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and now we know why!

Are they driving? As others have said, a car makes the trip to Avoriaz much more relaxing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No, not driving.

I did suggest they choose carefully if going before xmas but he was happy that the TO had assured him all would be OK. Puzzled

I guess it might be.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fingers crossed Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
emwmarine, as it's a TO, any chance they could transport?? I would go to Les Gets then but probably not if it was my one and only skiing trip. Though as I said before, and as red 27 said too, a car would make it easier.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The year it rained (1st week in new year), Les Gets was shut, Ardent was shut (some days), Morzine was shut. Access via Super Morzine and Zore was possible, with download via chair officially, although there was enough leftovers to get back. Snow up top end of Avoriaz was ace. Snow down to goat village was like skiing in knee deep wet cement.

Then it snowed, and they opened everything, but had to bash the snow when it was too thin, so Les Gets was like skiing mostly on stones and pine cones.

Fortunately we had chalet minibus and they dropped us in to Morzine and agreed pick up time.

Sounds like TO might have sold something not fit for purpose? I'd be pushing for a change of destination personally.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Depends who the TO is, Skifamille sort you out I think.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
just had another check on the webcam, and cover looks ok (from a long distance!) down into Les Gets. The actual village cam is still showing a shot from October so obviously no snow!! lol

Check on a chalet TO transfer to S-M in the event of a LG closure, but I reckon you'll be fine!!
snow report
We are driving out to Les Gets early next week - I think that some of the Avoriaz lifts will be open from 14th December, Les Gets maybe at the weekend. Its always kept a bit fluid up until the official lift opening dates. We would expect to drive to Ardent and if we can ski a bit in Les Gets before the 21st then that is a bonus. I am sure that any TO taking bookings for the week of 14th will be expecting to transport their guests to wherever the lifts are open.
snow conditions
dennisp, check out the cams from the tourist office

http://en.lesgets.com/tools/webcams.html
ski holidays
Thanks folks, he won't change. Happy that the TO has said they will sort him out so sounds like they will bus them around if they have too.
latest report
emwmarine, Very Happy
snow conditions
Looks ok from these webcams.http://en.lesgets.com/tools/webcams.html.
snow report
halfhand, x2 posts up wink Yes it looks good to me too Very Happy
ski holidays
Also from their website...

The Les Chavannes ticket offices will be open on Saturday November 30th and Sunday December 1st for the sale of the season ski passes.
Hours of operation: 9.00am to 4.30pm
Season Les Gets-Morzine Skipass prices (-40%):
- Adult: 340€ (instead of 567€)
- Child (5 to 15 Y. old): 244€ (instead of 406€)
- Senior (65 to 74 y. old): 290€ (instead of 483€)
Season skipass can also be ordered online at www.lesgets.com/pass

The snow conditions do not allow an opening of the lifts and slops for this week-end.
ski holidays
marmotte16, Embarassed
latest report
Forecast doesn't look that promisiong for my mate in Les Gets Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
I'll be in Morzine the same week, think it's too early to be worried about the forecast yet. A few days ago the 7-9 day forecast at Bergfex was for around 50cm over 3 days, now it's just 3cm on one day.

So if it can change that much in a few days then surely this mostly sunny and warm current forecast can change too! Smile

Plus with the base that's already there and lots of cold temps for snowmaking, there's definitely going to be skiing... right? right? Wink

If a few days out the forecast is for a freezing level of 3000m and thunderstorms then I'll be worried!
ski holidays
Well he should have changed rather than believing the TO emwmarine, who sells weeks when the resort isn't open??
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Well he should have changed rather than believing the TO emwmarine, who sells weeks when the resort isn't open??

they would have been very cheap
ski holidays
blahblahblah, for a reason!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee, me for example. We sell accommodation, not skiing. If someone wants a holiday in the Alps, who am I to question their motivations? Puzzled
snow report
However, look on the bright side. Les Gets is a darn sight closer to the Alps than anywhere in the UK. So once you're there, if there's no snow, grab a hire car, take a bus and go somewhere in the Alps with snow. I bet there'll be decent skiing within 2hrs drive of Les Gets and probably less. So you get a cheap holiday in the Alps, you can't ski back to the Les Gets main road big deal. Tell you what , I'll swap with your mate - I'll go skiing in the Alps and he can sit in my house and produce a portfolio of evidence and linking text for my LPA certification NehNeh

Laughing Laughing
snow report
andy wrote:
Indeed, Les Gets scheduled opening is 21st, as is PdS area pass. Impossible to say what Avoriaz is doing, since french ski resort websites are useless.

+1. The French ski resort websites are like their cars; completely useless. Like tits on a bull.
it should be a piece of wee wee to bang out an easily locatable page that tells you what is open and when.
ski holidays
Juddernaut, the information is pretty clearly available on the PdS website. The domaine as a whole opens from 21st with some partially opening 13 - 20th. The Avoriaz website says they are exceptionally opening some lifts this coming weekend. I suppose lack of crystal balls means they cannot tell in advance exactly how much they will be able to open early as it will depend on snow cover. I find the resort websites actually rather good, these days - it's never been so easy to discover what's open, though you do actually have to wait for the ski season to start before the pages like this one http://www.avoriaz.com/en/skiing/all-about-skiing/operating-lifts will be much help. rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy