Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Runs and restaurants to try off the Sella Ronda

Poster: A snowHead
Hyst wrote:
Ütia Las Vegas is great, specialy if go in to the left (fireplace) - but smal. :D

Stupied me, I meant : Refugio Ütia de Bioch. :shock:

http://www.fornata.it/rifugio/il_rifugio_uetia_de_bioch.htm
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Freddie Paellahead, we're also off to Canazei in Feb. I've been studying the piste maps and reckon I've worked out the route to Hidden Valley, it doesn't seem so bad but have read elsewhere that it might be a bit ambitious to do in one day from Canazei. Assuming early start with a couple of coffee stops is it doable in a day?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, we've done it (all experienced skiers but some getting a bit more "mature" and slower) but don't hang about. The main delays are with the queue for the buses at Armenterolla and walking up to the viewing point at the top of the cable car. On the way back, it is quicker to ski into Corvara to rejoin the Sella Ronda circuit than to take the "back" route.
And on the way back, make sure that nobody decides to nip into the loo at the bottom of the Arabba cable car just as it is leaving rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
agw, Canazei 19-26th
Ah well - I'll probably put up a little TR before you fly off.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tangledupinblue, Hidden Valley is easily doable in a day from Canazei. A cab from Arabba to Lagazuoi is more expensive than from Armentarola, but makes it even easier.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Freddie Paellahead, beequin, Thanks for the tips aside from being a skinflint I'm not keen an taking taxi's any more than necessary but good to hear that it is a reasonable trip in a day. There's me, quite experienced but getting on a bit and my two lads who whilst not so experienced do have youth on their side. I will look at the return journey via Corvara.
Can't wait to go now Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tangledupinblue, remember to hurry! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Taxi from Armentarola is about €8 each (I think), compared to (from memory) €12 each for 5 from Arabba. Not sure what the time saving is, but I would estimate it at 30 to 40 mins.

We started early, put in an extra run at Arabba, did not stop long for lunch, but were back at Canazei by 3.30 pm. My wife does not ski fast and we also had a third-weeker with us who was of similar speed.

P.S. Don't forget the €2 for the horse tow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tangledupinblue, we were a group of about 8 with 3-4 in their 60s. The men in their 60s seemed to need fairly frequent loo stops, and the queue for the loo at the the top of the Lagazuoi along with the walk up there took them the best part of 30 mins. We did also:
1. Not start with the first lift
2. Stop for coffees and lunch
3. Have one of the older chaps leave his poles on the bus up from Armentarola which made flats a "problem".
4. Have some poor route-planning from me which meant that we did return via the "back" way back to Passo Campolongo (which is longer and flatter rolling eyes )
5. Have the lift from Pont de Vauz to Passo Pordoi stop for 15 minutes while we were on it.

Other than that it went fine Shocked though we were one of the last up the final chair onto the Belvedere.

The horse tow is not to be missed and is surprisingly fast. We expected the horses to plod but they actually got up a fair canter!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have you tried Utia Malga Saraghes on run no. 9 from Pralongia down to Armentarola? It is in a lovely spot, does great food and an excellent hot chocolate with rum and cream! Also, Mister X down in Arabba (next to the chair lift), does great burgers and schnitzel and chips at really reasonable prices. Mickey's Grill next door is also very nice and food is always of a good standard. The best pizza in the area can be found at Bec de Roces at the top of the second chair out of Arabba (heading to Corvara). Get there early for a table on the upstairs balcony - the views are superb.

I've been trying to get my group to do a day trip from Arabba to Cinque Torri for years now (having done the Hidden Valley most years). I will definitely get them there next Feb!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Freddie Paellahead, one of our party fell as the horse pulled away and she was right at the front. It was total and hilarious mayhem.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is Ütia Malga Saraghes the one with the wooden mammoth (and other things) out side? If so, I agree. Only ever stopped there for coffee stop, never lunch. Might have to rectify that.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, Did anyone get that on video?..... Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mister X is often my first stop of the day.

Need a little break after the walk from the hotel according to ms boots
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And (the newly completely rebuilt) Rif. Burz as the 2nd stop?
snow conditions
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
Thanks everybody.
Very familiar with Friedrich August Very Happy
Am having great fun with the Dolomiti Superski website and ski maps thanks to you lot!
Very helpful and anticipation building very nicely - a day-trip to Santa Croce via Gran Risa and the Rifugio Sompunt (a place I failed to get to last year) looks good.
Another to Ortisei via Seceda and Rifugio Troier.
Cinque Torri may tax some of our group in terms of distance
Sad

Freddie - that Sumpont place recommendation may have come from me good self. Nb it is a hotel not a rirugio and is set back from the piste by about 100 yards. There are a few tables outside but in Jan you'd freeze yr arancini off. The pasta is fantastic, even for that area.
snow report
DoubleBombardino,
Quote:

you'd freeze yr arancini off.

Laughing Laughing
snow report
Just to say - fell in love with the Dolomites on our first visit there in March this year so loving this thread! Taking note of all these recommendations. Must get the ingredients for bombardinos to ply rellies and guests with the Christmas. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
agw, yes, the Dolomites are very beguiling.
We took some friends with us last year who have skied for many years in the French Alps - they are coming back to the Dolomites this year.
For me, it's the scenery, the food and the welcoming attitude.
snow report
Yes, it has a quite different feel to the French Alps. The Italian priorities seem to be -
1. La Bella Figura
2. An agreeable lunch
3. Nice pistes to ski on to and from lunch

No doubt we'll be going to a French mega ski area again sometime, but for now the Dolomites are perfect for us.
snow conditions
agw wrote:

Nice pistes to ski on to and from lunch
Laughing
ski holidays
Yes, Malga Saraghes does have the wooden mammoth (and frozen water fountain too, some years) outside. Our kids named the whole area 'Teletubby Land' years ago as it reminded them of the hills in the TV programme, so even now as teenagers, they still ask if we are stopping at Telebubby Land! The food is very good, but it does get very busy at lunchtime. Best go early or late if you want to eat.

Interested to see the newly refurbished Rif. Burz. above Arabba.
snow conditions
The lift up from Santa Christina to Ciampinoi was running this AM (I wasn't there, just viewing WebCam !)

It all starts up this WeekEnd !!! Smile Very Happy
latest report
Hyst wrote:
Ütia Las Vegas is great, specialy if go in to the left (fireplace) - but smal. Very Happy

And with some great pictures in the gents. Laughing
ski holidays
bertie bassett wrote:
Hyst wrote:
Ütia Las Vegas is great, specialy if go in to the left (fireplace) - but smal. :D

And with some great pictures in the gents. :lol:

Sorry would not be able to tell (to flat area):

Stupied me, I meant : Refugio Ütia de Bioch. :shock:

http://www.fornata.it/rifugio/il_rifugio_uetia_de_bioch.htm
latest report
Freddie Paellahead, some fellow guests from our chalet almost got to Santa Croce from Canazei last year... They said it was a very long way, but they may have just been faffing about rolling eyes I think you need to get a move on to complete it, anyhow.

I really like skiing in the Selva/St Christina area. It was great to be able to get in the trees when it snowed most of the week last Jan. There's some nice unpisted bits around Plan de Gralba that were quite soft and deep – maybe you saw the snow sculptures down there before?

Good thread. We are also hoping to return this season, but probably to Kronplatz and later than January. I'll join you on webcam watch snowHead
ski holidays
The first few lucky skiers on Ciampioni this morning
http://www.val-gardena.com/en/ciampinoi-live/page245.html
Lucky sods Smile
Our favourite rifugio is La Frania above San Cassiano, their spicy pasta is fantastic, and the views from the outside deck are pretty good too!!
latest report
Thanks Bartezki Evil or Very Mad
Now I'll have to keep repeating the mantra "I am not jealous, I am not jealous..." Mr. Green
Scarlet, thanks for that. I think that, well-planned, it doesn't look significantly further than the Hidden Valley - and there would be plenty of opportunity to turn back, so will probably give it a go.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"....The first few lucky skiers on Ciampioni this morning ...."

The Pisteurs have just built the 'Depart' hut for the upcoming Men's Downhill.... (The downhill should be on BBC - somehow I doubt it tho'.....)
ski holidays
The ribs at the Punta Trieste (aka the Owl bar) in the Pralongia area near Corvara are very nice
snow report
albob wrote:

The Pisteurs have just built the 'Depart' hut for the upcoming Men's Downhill.... (The downhill should be on BBC - somehow I doubt it tho'.....)

Well I believe that Ski Sunday is due to start on Dec 15th this year, so hopefully the Val Gardena Men's Downhill on Sat 21st Dec might get some coverage on the following day's Ski Sunday.
snow report
Have a read of this

http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/resorts/reviews/Had_an_excellent_week_staying_in_Campitello_di_Fassa_in_mid-January_2007._S/
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
albob wrote:

Well I believe that Ski Sunday is due to start on Dec 15th this year, so hopefully the Val Gardena Men's Downhill on Sat 21st Dec might get some coverage on the following day's Ski Sunday.

Yep - you are right --- Val d'isere downhill features next sunday (BBC2 17.55) ; so looking good !
snow report
Have you tried the WWI tour? 80km in a day.

I've done it from Arabba, anti clockwise takes you over to Malga Ciapela, down the Sottoguda gorge with it's ice climbers, via free bus to Alleghe and the Civetta ski area with great views of the 1200m almost sheer NW Wall of the Civetta and the helmet-shaped Monte Pelmo, another €5 bus trip up to Rifugio Fedare and ski over to Passo Falzarego to pick up the Hidden Valley run, horse-tow and ski back to Arabba.

The clockwise version includes a descent from the Marmolada, the highest peak in the Dolomites. Can be done in a day from Arabba, Corvara, San Cassiano, trickier from Canazei or Selva, but could maybe be done if you ate on the bus and skied very quickly.

Here's a pdf map detailing the route: http://www.altabadia.org/website/var/assets/pdf/391.pdf
ski holidays
andy wrote:
Santa Croce is the obvious one. Bit of a climb at the top (take skis - can ski direct from the rifgio). Nice church to look around, and walk up the extra 10 meters for the views. It's always busy - if no space, then ski down to one under the lower chairlift (name escapes me, but it's on the right and the only one).

That'll be the L'Tama I spent every afternoon there a couple of years ago when I buggered me knee up.

Surprized no one has mentioned Scottoni, but personally I think in reality it does not live up to the reputation. I say this after waiting for about 30 minutes to get served then decided to leave after I saw one of the chef's leaving the lavvy without washing Mad Mad
snow conditions
Kel wrote:
Surprized no one has mentioned Scottoni, but personally I think in reality it does not live up to the reputation. I say this after waiting for about 30 minutes to get served then decided to leave after I saw one of the chef's leaving the lavvy without washing Mad Mad

Not mentioned so far on this thread, but Rifugio Scotoni and the Capanna Alpina (both on the Hidden Valley route) were discussed in the Birthday Bash thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2397884&highlight=scotoni#2397884
snow report
Kel, I agree , it's too popular for its own good. I waited over 45 minutes for "OK" grilled sausages and fried potatoes and my wife's meal never came. I'm now thinking based on your comment, the chef was preparing the sausages in the lav Shocked (no intention to bring the level down wink )

My experience of the Santa Croce Refugio was much better in spite of it also been extremely busy.
ski holidays
Thanks luigi. I suspect I could manage it, but I lead a group that are not particularly fast (and like to stop for coffee, then lunch, then beer near the end).
Kel, that's helpful, thanks.
Alastair Pink, we tried to get into Scottoni's last year (glad I didn't after what Kel wrote Shocked ) and so stopped at the next one - which was more basic perhaps, but fine.
snow report
Quote:

The men in their 60s seemed to need fairly frequent loo stops

Laughing
ski holidays
They are all so good, it's prob quicker to list the 'less good'. Madeye-Smiley

Panorama on Dantercepies is a bit production line and expensive.
Ciampinoi lift top station restaurant is very self serve service station stylie.

Will go through the gems later. wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy