Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Runs and restaurants to try off the Sella Ronda

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
We're off to Canazei for the fourth time this January.
We now know the Sella Ronda quite well and are looking for some of the must-dos off the Sella Ronda.
We have skied the Hidden Valley, Marmolada, Alba/Pozza, Sasslong on previous trips.
We do also like a nice lunch stop!

Suggestions please.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Freddie Paellahead, did you venture to Pedraces? If not then the top station and mid station are both very good eating stops. The top station has the addition of the Sante Croce Church. In mid/late afternoon when the valley is in darkness, but the vertical face of the mountain behind the church is bathed in sunlight, words struggle to describe the sheer beauty of the scene. Sadly this would be too late in the day to drag your old ass back to Canazei wink

It's a bit of a ball ache to get to, involving a horizontal chair, but if the snow is good the run down from Sante Croce is terrific and a good day trip out.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Santa Croce is the obvious one. Bit of a climb at the top (take skis - can ski direct from the rifgio). Nice church to look around, and walk up the extra 10 meters for the views. It's always busy - if no space, then ski down to one under the lower chairlift (name escapes me, but it's on the right and the only one).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman and andy, thanks. No, we have not been to Santa Croce.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Freddie Paellahead, you could try Cinque Torri and the Rifugio Averau. Thought the food and hospitality there was awesome.

http://www.5torri.it/rifugio-averau/?lang=en

Not sure of the logistics and timing for you if you are staying in Canazei though. The ski area is accessed via Lagazuoi.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You must do this one - Rifugio Friedrich August above Canazei on the way to Selva. They farm their own highland cattle and yaks - which make delicious gulaschsuppe. Probably too close to Canazei when you're off around the Sella etc but great if you're playing close to home.

eta - you can't quite see the rifugio from the main piste, you have to scoot over the ridge to the West. If you look it up on Google Maps you'll see what I mean. There's a little drag lift to get you back to the main route.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 2-12-13 11:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you go to Ortosei, make stop over here, its a littel of trek, but very nice: http://www.troier.com/ on the way from Seceda down to St. Christina (and keep very much left), not far from the Seceda top. Very Happy Very Happy

The run down to Ortosei from Seceda is very nice. Very Happy Very Happy
If you find it to long run you can take the buss back from Ortisei to Selva and save time.

And as you have been in the area often I guess you know the "oks" hut (name slipped me) northwest of Col Rodela. Very Happy Very Happy but very packed at lunch time. Use it often for afternoon stop over.
It is the abowe mention
http://www.friedrichaugust.com/en/
but it is not that close to canazei, but as I wrote north west of Col Rodela, and difficult to see (have to go over the riche.)

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 2-12-13 11:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Freddie Paellahead, as for runs - the Gran Risa into La Villa. A black GS World Cup piste but not too challenging, especially when the snow is in good nick.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Freddie Paellahead, Have you done the Colfosco area. It includes a very wide black run and a couple of nice eating stops.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Freddie Paellahead, Have you done the Colfosco area. It includes a very wide black run and a couple of nice eating stops.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have you done the bit the other side of Pozza? Youcan pick up a noddy train at the end of the run in Pozza, which takes you to a little two-man chair in a car park. Go up it!

Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everybody.
Very familiar with Friedrich August Very Happy
Am having great fun with the Dolomiti Superski website and ski maps thanks to you lot!
Very helpful and anticipation building very nicely - a day-trip to Santa Croce via Gran Risa and the Rifugio Sompunt (a place I failed to get to last year) looks good.
Another to Ortisei via Seceda and Rifugio Troier.
Cinque Torri may tax some of our group in terms of distance
Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Bish, no I haven't. Will look.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Bish, Is that in Pera?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Freddie Paellahead, If you group find the run to Cinque Torri (or even Cortina) to far - make a overnight stay in Refugio Lagazuoi - is fun and cheap, domotory style and good 3 course dinner.

Maybe Silvester Stallone is around NehNeh
snow report
agw wrote:
Freddie Paellahead, as for runs - the Gran Risa into La Villa. A black GS World Cup piste but not too challenging, especially when the snow is in good nick.

Loverly run - even when rob@rar from http://www.insideoutskiing.com/ makes you do your synchro pairs skiing down it. Laughing
snow report
Freddie Paellahead, another vote for Santa Croce here. We were advised by a local to get out there one day and were glad we did. The horizontal chair out there and back isn't that long and definitely worth it. Food at the rifugio at the top beside the church itself is good but small, so early arrival might be the way to go. The postprandial run back down from the church is excellent - a long tree-lined, rolling affair with intermittent steeper sections that you'll immediately want to go up and do again... Envy!
snow report
In Colfosco as you are going in the anticlockwise sella ronda direction there is a restaurant at the top of the gentle nursery slopes (just to the right as you get off the chairlift) called the Mathiaskeller, which does excellent local dishes, and has some very nice traditional interior decoration (including some amusing bar stools.) Wink Outside view of the Mathiaskeller Photos of Mathiaskeller, Colfosco<br>This photo of Mathiaskeller is courtesy of TripAdvisor]

Also in Colfosco if you go up the side valley called the Edelweisstal (take the gondola that goes up the side valley from the nursery slope) there is a nice mountain restaurant called the Rifugio Forcelles at the top of the Forcelles chairlift.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 3-12-13 9:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Thanks idlehands, Alastair Pink and bertie bassett.
snow report
Freddie Paellahead, when are you there? We're staying at Badia 5th-12th January.
ski holidays
agw, Canazei 19-26th
ski holidays
I am following this thread closely, in order to establish the person it would be most politic to foist myself on as a skiing companion on the Birthday Bash, my problem being that I am greedy but lack any bump of direction. So far Alastair Pink is in the lead. wink At least this gives him time to hone his avoiding tactics. wink
snow conditions
Pedantica, there's lots of Ladies wot Lunch on the birthday bash !! I'm sure we can find ourselves a restaurant guide with a good sense of direction.
latest report
Hells Bells, ah, true enough. el Hen is a top guide! Very Happy Sorry, Alastair, you may just have been sacked.
[signed Pedantica pp The Monstrous Regiment of Women]
wink
snow conditions
Good views from the Matthiaskeller too. And it's right on the Sella Ronda, rather than just off it. Only ever eaten there once, but was superb food. Forcelles also has the same stunning view, but higher up.

Any one got any top food recommendations in the Alba-Pozza area? Only ever eaten in the one at top of Alba cable car.
ski holidays
Pedantica, I would be honoured to lunch with you (and other Ladies wot Lunch)! Madeye-Smiley

Edit: I have just seen that I may have been sacked. Shocked Sad wink

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 3-12-13 11:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Alastair Pink, Very Happy
snow report
Was also a good place near Corvara, heading in to the San Cassiano side. Again don't remember the name, but it was near one of the very few drag lifts that had a kiddie slalom nearby (not the one near San Cassiano with the obstacles that you have to duck and can crash in to). Thinking it might be Capanna Nera?

Think I might play in the San Cassiano area more this time, rather than clock up 100km days again. Need to practice my skiing on the wrong ski skiing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy, Il cam back to you on that one. do not remember the name right now Puzzled - but they used to have a sauna out on the terrasse (just if it should be to cold). Madeye-Smiley

And do not worry - it is mixed. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

You may be in the competition for Pedancia now! wink
snow report
andy, here it comes: http://www.rifugiobaitacuz.com/en/ Very Happy

With the sauna offer you are probably in the compatition for Pedantica, s guide. Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

As I come to refugion Baita Cuz on the 8th of febr.. I do not hope I will be kikked out of the place - coming as a Snowhead, so no scandels please.
ski holidays
Hyst, Baita Cuz is between Alba and Pozza (and is delightful). Is andy, referring to one called something American? (can't remember the name Nevada? Hollywood?)
snow report
I don't knwo what one I'm talking about. Will have to scour the maps. And I'd only recognise pictures of the inside.

And the one you're probably thinking of is the Ütia Las Vegas, which I think is at top of San Cassiano? And is also a favourite place to stop.
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
Pedantica, there's lots of Ladies wot Lunch on the birthday bash !! I'm sure we can find ourselves a restaurant guide with a good sense of direction.

Stick with Mr Pink whose guiding skills are highly recommended. Otherwise, I'm sure Maggi will oblige Toofy Grin
latest report
Red Leon, perish the thought. But Thumbstruck will and has. wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 3-12-13 14:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
andy, yes that's the one I thought you were referring to - but obviously not Embarassed
snow conditions
Freddie Paellahead,

Andy asks a lot, so you have to find det right place: (if he can remember himself Shocked )

andy wrote:
Good views from the Matthiaskeller too. And it's right on the Sella Ronda, rather than just off it. Only ever eaten there once, but was superb food. Forcelles also has the same stunning view, but higher up.

Any one got any top food recommendations in the Alba-Pozza area? Only ever eaten in the one at top of Alba cable car.

It was a kind of highjacking. Eh oh!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 3-12-13 14:41; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Maggi..... Navigating..... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Skullie Skullie Skullie Skullie
ski holidays
Ütia Las Vegas is great, specialy if go in to the left (fireplace) - but smal. Very Happy
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Maggi..... Navigating..... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Skullie Skullie Skullie Skullie

Toofy Grin rolling eyes
snow conditions
Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy