Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Camera crash protection

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've noticed on these boards pictures that very much look like they've been taken by SLR type camera up the hill.

How do people protect those cameras in the backpack whilst skiing?

I don't have an SLR, I have one of these - http://www.sony.co.uk/product/dsb-nex-6/nex-6 but I don't want to break it if I have a little fall!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've always been put off carrying my SLR more by the worry that it will break me if I fall rather than the other way round!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i generally think it's pretty safe if it's in my pack. can't remember the last time I fell and landed on my back
if I am likely to be taking a lot of photos I keep my DSLR in a pouch attached to the waist belt of my pack. not particularly safe but I am OK with the trade off of ease of access versus risk of damage
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought a Peli case for my camcorder, absolutely bomb proof. Pictures, etc here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1597410
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I carry mine on the front. It may look ungainly but in fact it never gets in the way and makes the camera very handy. Even if I fall forwards I naturally curl around the camera.

I have a piece of accessory cord running down each rucksack strap and, with two baby carabiners, clip a LowePro TLZ mini between them. Like this:

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've used a Peli case when out with my SLR and a big lens and having to take it somewhere a bit camera unfriendly (like on a powerboat, or caving) but its a bit unwieldy for taking skiing. Better off using a chest pack and skiing carefully, I reckon.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I carried a DSLR pretty much all the time skiing. Either in a normal rucksack or airbag. Never had a problem. Never bothered with the plastic bag stuff either.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fstop Gear Loka and ICU is my out and about SLR bag for skiing, yacht racing and other such things, yes expensive but then no where near the cost of even one of my L series lenses. Plus given the camera is a 5D MkII and built like a tank I suspect if I did fall on it I'd come off worse.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I usually ride with a chest pack, which are popular with people who shoot with DSLRs all the time. The main thing is to have the machine accessible, hence it needs to be on the front not the back. Plus unless you fall on your face a lot it's very safe mounted on your chest. These are for "pro" size SLRs though. I ride a lot, some of it on piste, and sometimes I'll crash and burn. I've never damaged a camera from that.

For smaller cameras/ less gear... a smaller chest pack would be my choice, or if it's really small them stick it in a pocket.

You can fasten chest bags to shovel packs, but personally I prefer everything separate for various reasons.

There's a shot on this page. I think my own anti deep-link technology is preventing me linking it directly.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use one of these. There are lots of bags out there designed for the job.

http://www.evocsports.com/en/photo/cp-26l-camera-pack.html

Dakine also do a good ones.

http://eu.dakine.com/w/backpacks/photo-backpacks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the tips guys! It's all a bit more hardcore than I was expecting. I had in my mind something more like a beefed up sunglasses case than a foam filled solid suitcase!

Had't really considered a chest pack, but thinking about the crashes I had last season most of them were tips down face plants, so I might pass on that one.... Reassured to hear that just carrying it in an ABS pack should be ok.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
flaming, the NEX is small so I'd go for the smallest Peli case or padded camera case and put it in your pack.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My Mrs was in hospital for a week after an unexpected forward ejection. She landed on her camera and squashed her pancreas (against her spine AIR). Her retention of the said organ was in the balance for a few days. Take care.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, ouch...hope she made a full recovery.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've carried a full camera kit on skis before (2 35mm bodies with motordrives, several big lenses, various odds and sods) the trick when doing so is not to fall over, ever ! If you think you might fall then DO NOT carry a lot of kit, cameras can be replaced but the damage they can do to your body might be harder to fix, if you want to get good photos up a mountain a good digital compact can give excellent results, I have a Cannon G11 which fits nicely into a chest pocket in a small padded bag, cameras and really cold weather do not mix due to the effect the cold can have on batteries, carrying a smaller camera close to the body is one way to keep the camera a bit warmer.

If you must carry a bigger camera try not to carry lots of kit with you, and not long lenses, again if you fall both you and the kit are likely to be worse off, personally I'd not carry a camera kit on my back if I were worried about falling, it will alter your balance point and should you fall it means you are more likely to hurt your back, for smaller amounts of kit chest or belt mounts are best, easily accessible and less likely to hurt you in an accident though as Frosty the Snowman, reports its not impossible. Camera Care Systems make an excellent range of belt mounting bags, many of which include useful features such as internal draw string closure to help keep snow out, CCS classic range from personal preference but their Freestyle range may also suit.

Bear in mind when arranging kit on yourself that you may have to remove it or alter its position when on various ski lifts, backpacks are not good on chairlifts belt mounts can be an issue on drag lifts, both are a pain in gondolas and may require you to remove them, please remember to take them with you when you dismount wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy