Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aldi Camcorder

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got any thought on this? At 89 quid it might be worth a punt, I just can't justify the 300 quid or so for a Go Pro

http://www.supra-elektronik.com/popups/Maginon_Action_Sports_HD-1_popup_uk/index.php?choice=techData
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The framerate of only 25fps means that any faster action is going to look jerky. My drift HD (not the latest tech by any stretch of the imagination) records at 30fps at 1080p but 60fps at 720, and I find I really need the 60fps to get the smoothness of action shots. Even the iPhone can handle 120fps now, as well as the latest Drift Ghost S and the GoPro

£89 isn't that cheap, you could probably pick up an early Drift, contour or GoPro for not much more and get better quality video.

The other thing that I think is often overlooked is how temperature affects battery life. It can cripple a camera in only a couple of hours if it's really cold, when it would normally last all day at normal temps. If the whole unit needs charged rather than having interchangeable batteries, then it might prove a waste of time to take it on the hill
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
feef wrote:
The framerate of only 25fps means that any faster action is going to look jerky. My drift HD (not the latest tech by any stretch of the imagination) records at 30fps at 1080p but 60fps at 720, and I find I really need the 60fps to get the smoothness of action shots. Even the iPhone can handle 120fps now, as well as the latest Drift Ghost S and the GoPro

£89 isn't that cheap, you could probably pick up an early Drift, contour or GoPro for not much more and get better quality video.

The other thing that I think is often overlooked is how temperature affects battery life. It can cripple a camera in only a couple of hours if it's really cold, when it would normally last all day at normal temps. If the whole unit needs charged rather than having interchangeable batteries, then it might prove a waste of time to take it on the hill

Thanks for that. Think I'll give it a miss
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try:

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/category/action-cameras
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The best that can be said is that it is the right shape for a colo-rectal examination and the body heat might help the battery life, splash resistance could be a plus in this environment.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:
The best that can be said is that it is the right shape for a colo-rectal examination and the body heat might help the battery life, splash resistance could be a plus in this environment.

wink let us know how you get on
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
feef wrote:
The framerate of only 25fps means that any faster action is going to look jerky.

I think you need to justify/explain that. UK TV is only 25fps and looks fine to my (oldish) eyes.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RobW wrote:
feef wrote:
The framerate of only 25fps means that any faster action is going to look jerky.

I think you need to justify/explain that. UK TV is only 25fps and looks fine to my (oldish) eyes.

Interpolation.

The conversion from 120,60 or even 30 down to 25fps allows for some 'smearing' between the frames to help smooth the motion out. If you record at 25fps you have nothing in between to smear.

This is my super-simplified understanding of it. I'm sure someone else will be along to elaborate or just simply correct me.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depends how long the 'shutter' is open:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_disc_shutter
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
feef, it works a bit like this. At 24/25 frames per second for the most part motion will be smooth to the human eye, if you're really concentrating or the image is in your peripheral vision then higher frame rates are noticeably smoother. Keeping the framerate lower obviously saves money but is a historical artefact but this is why we've not seen a push to higher frame rates as it's "not cinematic". There was lots of hoohah over The Hobbit using a higher framerate.

Each frame isn't a moment in time it's a small period of time exactly the same as the exposure time of a photograph. Typically the rule of thumb is to set the exposure time to be half the frame time. This gives "the most pleasant" smearing of motion in the frame. If you have a really low exposure time motion looks more jerky at lower frame rates. So conforming high frame rates to low frame rates can be quite complex if you want to end up with the same sense of smearing (you can't just discard frames). This is further complicated if you need to conform to a frame rate that doesn't divide exactly into the original (e.g. Going from 120 to 25). This isn't so bad though as you have lots of information to work with.

Higher frame rates essentially give more steps so there is more information that let's you slow down the footage easily. If you want to slow down footage at 24fps but keep the resulting video at 24fps then you have a problem as there is no extra information. You have to interpolate between frames which can be very difficult and often gives odd results. Plugins like Twixtor do a really good job but people really have to search for footage it will work with without doing some really weird things. You could just show the frames for a longer period of time but the end result quickly feels jerky.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TLDR; 25fps is fine for a video camera as long as you don't want to slow the footage down.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yet I've found a noticeable difference between 30 and 60fps in how a video looks for the same sort of action. It was noticeably more 'stepped' at 30 and smoother at 60, and that wasn't with slowing anything down. Granted that was on the laptop and not a TV, so I suppose there the difference is more visible?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
feef, probably because you are closer up but maybe because of how the camera is setup itself. If 30fps and 60fps have the same exposure time then 60fps will feel smoother as it'll be more contiguous with the motion blur.

Higher frame rates are generally better but can suffer in encoding quality if the max bitrate is limited. You need more storage space as well!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RobW wrote:
feef wrote:

UK TV is 25 Frames per second but is also 50 fields per second. This is because uk TV is interlaced and not progressive. Interlaced means a full resolution frame is built from two half resolution images (every other line), these two field images were taken at different times so although from a picture detail point of view we have a full resolution image every 25th of a second from the view of motion portrayal we have a half resolution image ever 50th of a second.

These action cameras are all producing progressive (not interlaced) pictures meaning every fraction of a second you get a full resolution image unlike uk this means a 25fps sequence is only sampling motion every 25fps and hence the poor motion portrayal compared to uk tv.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dan-b, it's definitely not the case that each field image was taken at a different time, if it were they wouldn't line up and you get weird artifacts like this which is particular visible with any motion:

^--- this is what you'd get and also end up with if your deinterlacing algorithm is crap.

Most modern TVs go as far as to rebuild the frames and display those in a progressive manner when handling interlaced footage.
ski holidays
meh wrote:
feef, probably because you are closer up but maybe because of how the camera is setup itself. If 30fps and 60fps have the same exposure time then 60fps will feel smoother as it'll be more contiguous with the motion blur.

Higher frame rates are generally better but can suffer in encoding quality if the max bitrate is limited. You need more storage space as well!

Got a 32GB card in my Drift, that can outlast 3 batteries on a cold day on the hill Smile

I just dump the content to my laptop each evening and start fresh.

I am tempted by the Ghost S, 120fps at 720 will make for some fun slo-mo stuff.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy