Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Thuile o Sol

Poster: A snowHead
right got it down to two holidays but cant make my mind up so please help...

is it

La Thuile in self catering in the planibel its next to the lifts so fall out of bed and off you go plus you can pop back for a cuppa if your strapped for cash lol

or

Soll in bed n breakfast you have to get a bus to and from slopes and i have read its busy on the bus.

two other factors been to Thuile before and loved it but never been to Soll so the sense of adventure is drawing my there a bit..and soll is £50 quid cheaper

please comment and try to help,,,, youve never let me down before.

oh if it helps i am intermediate level.

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've not been to either but I reckon Sol if you've been to La Thuile before. £50 cheaper, free brekkie, new adventure, sounds good. A bus to the lifts isn't perfect but I'm sure it will still be a great holiday and you might love the skiing even more?!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andybabes, I've been to both…

In La Thuile I stayed in a pleasant small family run hotel in the village centre which was a 20-min walk to the Planibel complex and lifts (equipment lockers at the base station), but far nicer than the soul-less Planibel. However if you prefer accommodation with convenience rather than charm, the Planibel will suit you. I guess you know the ski area already, for me the downsides were the many tedious flat bits, but there were also some interesting runs lower down through the trees and in the valley between La Thuile and La Ros. I found the village itself quite cute but very quiet.

Söll is a different animal, it's a large bustling town with plenty going on whether you want to shop, party, dine or browse. There are hotels to suit every budget and plenty of atmosphere. There are good equipment lockers at the lift base station so no need to worry about accommodation which is a walk or bus ride to the lifts, stroll back and enjoy a bit of après. The Ski Welt area is huge and great for intermediates with the option of going to Kitzbuhel too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been to both resorts skiing more testing in la thuile après better in sol but sol is good motorway skiing with the chance to put some good mileage under your belt
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andybabes wrote:
Soll in bed n breakfast you have to get a bus to and from slopes and i have read its busy on the bus.

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

The bus in Soll is no busier than any other. There were times when its virtually empty and times its full Puzzled I personally found the bus pretty easy and straight forward. The main lift from Soll is only a 10 or 15 minute walk in trainers for a adult of average fitness from centre of town. We used to bus up and then walk back down at the end of the day ahaving a few very pleasant stops at the bars en route. It really should not be something to put you off going there!

queen bodecia, I wouldn't describe Soll as a large bustling town. There are a few shops but not loads and a few decent bars and hotels. It's a pretty standard sized Austrian ski village/town. I agree the equipment storage at the gondola is excellent, very efficiently run and worth using.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jirac18, the bed n breakfast is at the guesthouse Obinghof not sure which side of Soll that is, I board not ski so easy to walk in boots.
Quite fancy cooking for myself but I do know there are take aways near planibel
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andybabes, I stayed at Hotel Fuchs which is a similar distance from the centre of the town and easily walkable into or from town. Guesthouse Obinghof is on the north side of town furthest from the gondola but it is manageable. Obinghof has csome pretty bad reviews on Trip advisor ranging from average to terrible.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have stayed in the Planibel apartments a couple of times. The cooking facilities are basic... Two small hot plates, utensils that seem to vary from one apartment to another, and a microwave. Can recommend requesting the Monte Bianco block, as it has what is described as superior apartments, and is closest to the slopes/lifts. Less than a minute and you are there. It is no different to any of the purpose built French apartment blocks, and much more spacious inside. We are Heading back for new year week... Can't wait.
Never been to Soll
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dode, don't think you can request a block I think you get what you are given .
How long since you were last there? Is that pizza shop still there , selling homemade slices of fresh pizza ....nom nom
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Was there last year, we requested that block and were given it, might a been coincidence but my step daughter was a rep with crystal and she says that they do their best to fulfill any request although none are guaranteed. Have requested it again and I'll let you know if we get it. Pizza place was still there mmmmmm..... Salivating now.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Never been to soll but La Thuile was perfect, no waiting for lifts, 1 minute from the slopes, and the best pizza on the planet made right in front of you.

If I can find the right deal that where I'll be going in jan again .

Happy days
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
not been to La Thuile but one of my first ever ski trips was to Sol, some 32 years ago Crying or Very sad where does the time go?

What I can say is that Sol rocked then, we were there for the new year & celebrated it 3 times, the apres is the best ever that I have experienced, the ski-ing was fantastic as well, from personal experience we seem to go back to places we have been before, but have booked for february i/2 term a completely new resort Les Meniures..........

Can't wait Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Soll apres was nothing to write home about two years ago. Few good bars had the six nations rugby on, couple of live bands all fairly standard but not as lively as was expected. Went to Sauze d'Oulx three years back and that was pretty quiet too compared to how people describe it previously.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jirac18, compared to La Thuile, Söll is a big town, trust me...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queen bodecia, last time I stayed in Thuile I too stayed at a small family run hotel called Hotel Du Glacier....I would highly recommend it very friendly and helpful owners and lovely lush bedrooms, but yeah about 15 - 20 mins walk to slopes
snow conditions
of to the Planibel for xmas for the second time, ideal for us the apartments are great for two adults two kids, bedroom is ensuite the kids have a seperate bathroom, cooking facilities are great as we just have breakfast in and eat out the rest of the time. its very close to the lifts, and the skiing is very varied as you can use La Rossiere as well, and if you like pizza........ Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
iskar, can you recommend anywhere to eat out , as it's a while since I have been.
ski holidays
Andy, our faves were Pepita, La Fordze, and the Coppapan. Also La Lisse does a great value tourist menu, it was recommended to us by an Italian bloke we got chatting to on the chairlift, and is about half the price of the others. Also there is a fine wee pub just over the bridge that the chocolate shop is next to, Brasserie de Barthod (I think) when we ordered a beer we got three side dishes of nuts, olives and crisps. On ordering a second out came French fries and more olives. Had we been going for the gallon I reckon we woulda eaten our fill Very Happy
latest report
Does anyone know if there is free car parking in La Thuile?
snow conditions
Quote:

Does anyone know if there is free car parking in La Thuile?

I was at La Thuile last Feburary. The parking just beyond the gondola at 45° 42.592', 6° 56.942' was free, there were plenty of spaces here when I arrived on a Saturday but it quickly filled with day-trippers on Sunday. The larger car park, just before the gondola, at 45° 42.736', 6° 56.971' wasn't free although it was common to see cars parked on the roadside, for free, alongside this car park.
snow conditions
There was free parking in la thuille just past the gondola when I went 8-9 years ago. Obviously double mobbed out at weekends but monday should be OK.

Between the two resorts I think if you want apres then Soll. No contest. At least 3 good bars there with live music. Great feeling in resort. village on flat valley floor. Buses are regular enough.

For skiing then defo La Thuile. I think it is higher than soll and personally I think drier/ crisper snow. Great runs back to resort.

Both great resorts. Tough Call. How about La Thuile with the wife/ kids, Soll with the lads?
K
ski holidays
There is still the A&O supermarket just down the valley on the ss26 in Morgex with the trolley escaltor. It is a must see ! Also all the food is far cheaper than the shops in La Thuile.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy