Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What would you most like to improve?

Poster: A snowHead
A certain blue pill can help with altitude sickness Shocked

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/06/060624120556.htm
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Daishan, It may help with pole plants too Wink

I remember a bit of info on this floating round the climbing sites.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
More confidence/consistency off-piste - been putting it off for far too long and probably need more lessons plus push myself.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A common trend appears to be wanting to MTFU, I'm in this boat too. I hate the way I try and turn my arms into wings and flap like a lunatic if I'm airborne for any length of time. I wanna look cool, not like some modern version of Icarus sans wings.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Raceplate wrote:

Agreed.

I often use Suisses (longish Black in Courchevel) as a fitness yardstick. After a couple of weeks on snow I can ski that non-stop in short turns with no problem. In the first week I'll need to break it into 3 sections. I don't believe my overall fitness level has changed dramatically in that period but what has changed is my body's ability to assimilate what oxygen is available and process lactic acid more quickly.[/quote]

I find this - first few days of a season to ski well will be ski pitch, rest, ski pitch. After 4-5 days I'll be doing top to bottom. I just call this getting ski fit but I'm not sure it automatically means multiple technical steps back. A lots of course depends on where you're at, how many days you get in, what you're actually doing. Mrs New Name is no doubt at a vastly different performance level to the 1 or 2 week a year intermediate, if you've crossed the line to a level of unconscious competence(no matter what flaws remain) I'd suggest you are more likely to be able to replicate it without extensive requisition.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob wrote:
Raceplate wrote:

Agreed.

Laughing Laughing

+1
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I only really feel the effects of altitude when hiking above about 2500m. The effects are much more marked above 3000m. I don't really feel that much difference as regards skiing stamina as dropping from the top of the resort below the 3000m threshold only really takes a couple of minutes.

Overall ski fitness takes about a fortnight to develop from cold. That's about getting the weight right as much as it is about developing tone I suspect.

In terms of improvement, I don't think I'm going to get any better. I'd like to be faster and more fluid in broken snow and to be less intimidated by some aspects of couloir skiing. Probably not going to happen, though. Those things are just not realistic aspirations for someone skiing c. 10 days a year.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For air time, rather than taking the MTFU approach, why not join a local trampoline club and get used to being in the air ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AndAnotherThing.., +10
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
First time I skied for more than one consecutive week was when I did my L2 instructor exams. I don't think that an inability to get away for extended trips (more than one week at a time) is a major bar to improving your skiing.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

why not join a local trampoline club and get used to being in the air ?

indeed. all the guys and gals who are good in the air are gymnasts, aren't they? Most unlikely that a manoevre you can't manage in your bare feet is suddenly going to become possible with gurt heavy boot and skis on. No need to be anywhere near snow to practice your feel for rotation (I was no gymnast, but used to be able to do simple somersaults on a trampoline though the simplest head over heels now leaves my head spinning, much to the amusement of the grand-children).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
For air time, rather than taking the MTFU approach, why not join a local trampoline club and get used to being in the air ?

Doubt it would work me at least; we had a trampoline in the garden when I was growing up, and I'm pretty composed in the air when kayaking (biggest waterfall I paddled is around 9 metres). For some reason I just get a bit freaked out at jumping off anything over a few feet high with skis on. Not fussed about kickers or freestyle, just want to hit some bigger drops. I know I've got the ability, it's just the mental/mtfu side of things I need to fix.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999, thing to keep reminding yourself is that the drop is actually about 6ft less than it looks. Also Japan should be excellent for helping with that as there's nothing better than a nice deep landing. I'm not one to talk though as my biggest drops on skis are only around 15-20ft and again it's balls getting in the way of going bigger.

Trampolines strike me as pretty useful for spins and flips in a progression with water/foam/airbag jumps but not so useful for straight airs off natural terrain.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gdizzle wrote:
A common trend appears to be wanting to MTFU, I'm in this boat too. I hate the way I try and turn my arms into wings and flap like a lunatic if I'm airborne for any length of time. I wanna look cool, not like some modern version of Icarus sans wings.

I still laugh at the video where I can see my shadow doing that when I inadvertently caught way too much air off piste Laughing Laughing Laughing

I get scared more than a couple of feet off the ground.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anything and everything for I am crap.
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
For some reason I just get a bit freaked out at jumping off anything over a few feet high with skis on. Not fussed about kickers or freestyle, just want to hit some bigger drops. I know I've got the ability, it's just the mental/mtfu side of things I need to fix.

That's me too. I love the steep snow on the scarps underneath them but it's the airborne drops off of the cornices above them that are my Bete Noir.

There is a solution for everything though ... http://www.wildsnow.com/2202/backcountry-skiing-cornice-cutting/ Laughing
latest report
meh wrote:
clarky999Also Japan should be excellent for helping with that as there's nothing better than a nice deep landing.

+1

Even a man of mature years with a dodgy knee like myself can hit 10 footers in the Hokkaido pow.
ski holidays
under a new name, I guess "as well" is an interesting concept... I would say that I am not skiing as I would like, and that I have lost some of my awareness that has resulted in what I consider to be "lazy" skiing. Why? Well, my son took video for Jeff Bergeron to review to get an idea of how the new boots were working, and when I watched it, I was pretty disappointed with what I saw! Now, I have all kinds of excuses (new boots, crowded run, second run of the season, etc.), but I'm still not happy with what I saw... And I think I was doing those things considerably better late last season...
latest report
meh, Mike Pow, I hope so! Powder makes everything easier!
snow conditions
Quote:

Even a man of mature years with a dodgy knee like myself can hit 10 footers in the Hokkaido pow.

Providing there is not an errant bit of rock in the middle of what looks like flat snow surely? It always seems to me a bit of risk to rely on snow depth for a landing without knowing exactly what is under it Shocked
latest report
Megamum wrote:
Quote:

Providing there is not an errant bit of rock in the middle of what looks like flat snow surely? It always seems to me a bit of risk to rely on snow depth for a landing without knowing exactly what is under it Shocked

which is why people scope landings of material drops and local knowledge of lines is important. If you're just jumping off something big without either of the above you're in the blind faith camp.

Heavy snowpack over the season can however render even fairly sizeable boulders "safe" and pillow lines you kinda expect that you'll be scraping something at some point.
snow conditions
fatbob, Don't know about faith but mine was defo blind lol. Not high but got more distance than I wanted.

30+ secs in
http://youtube.com/v/1s0sn2sOR3A
snow conditions
Avalanche Poodle, oops
latest report
That was awesome, did you intend to hit the windlip?
snow report
meh, It was totally accidental. I meant to turn before the edge, the drop was totally hidden from view from above and I thought that the rock band was out to the left. The snow hit me in the face and before I knew it I was airborne Smile
snow report
This was on one of Phillipe's off piste days on the EOSB. He picks a very safe line, but after 7 years I sometimes think that I know better Embarassed He did help me to find and dig out my other ski though. I have much respect for the guy. Sometimes enthusiasm gets the better lol
snow report
I've spent 30 years working on my technique and I'm now not too bad. I think the key to further improvement for me would be to know what I know now but be 30 years younger and 2 stone lighter!! Diminishing returns. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
stevieb, hmmm, i'm 47 and have skied since 4-ish. Last year I reckon I skied better than ever... Can always improve... snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Avalanche Poodle, glad you had a nice soft landing! Very Happy
ski holidays
I'd like to work out whatever it is that's causing me to wind up with my weight on my right ski when I'm just past the fall line when turning right thus losing edge grip on my left ski and so slipping it out into an ineffective plough configuration leaving me insufficiently turned on my next transition (which isn't really a proper transition as my weight is already transferred) gaining speed and generally mucking the whole thing up.

That.
snow report
thirty06, I had a similarish problem a few years ago - the reason for me was that I had started to drop my uphill arm back. Just a bad habit that crept in. Net effect being that just past the fall line, left ski was less stable. Ten minutes into a lesson (taken because I hadn't worked out the problem), the instructor explained what I needed to do to correct. End of problem.
snow report
Hmmm... that might explain why it goes away when I am doing positive driving forward of the outside arms drills, Also possibly excessive inner tip lead.
ski holidays
as for me - just generally MFP in off-piste. I have finally learnt that speed is your friend, and to just go with it. Still a bit of a mental block though...
latest report
Lilledonmarco, I don't know about off-piste, 'cos I don't do that, but I have discovered that on-piste I should be able to go (what I would call) fast.

I've been experimenting in the 'safe' environment of Chill factor-e. Top to bottom steered turns I'm really starting to get the hang of (I think!!). However, I can now also do steered turn, steered turn, mmmm..........novice skier/boarder ahead......needs lots of space...... I can pass on the opposite side of the slope to them if I go fast enough to complete it before they get there.............edges!! where's those edges?........., wallop the skis up onto them and it's like two rails have engaged Shocked ...... take a spring push off this solid wall of snow that has miraculously appeared under the ski edges and before I know what's hit me I'm suddenly motoring!!! Shocked I almost jump them onto their opposite edges and take another push off the next bend - ye gods!! Thank heavens I'm in a dome and have to slow down!! Now the thing is how long do I want to ski at that speed for when I get on the mountain? Perhaps if it's hero pisted corduroy I might give it a go, but I tell you at that sort of speed I think I'd do serious damage if I lost it - now how do you get over that if you assume that Rule 5 needs a bit of a shove?

NB. In reality it might not 'look' that fast, but its fast enough for me Laughing
latest report
thirty06, yes - excessive inner tip lead also a bit of an issue here - as pointed out on last year's EoSB.

Driving arms forward and facing just outside the turn reinforces the message for me, usually.
ski holidays
More confidence in the air might be a good thing. I'm fine on steeps if I don't have to jump much.
snow report
Megamum, Funny enough, on hard snow and high speeds you just seem to spin and slide when you crash and only get the odd minor bruise. I just tuck my legs up so the skis don't catch and do a turtle impression. It used to be very common indeed Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy