Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What would you most like to improve?

Poster: A snowHead
As the season cranks up in the northern hemisphere, I got to wondering: what would you like to improve in your skiing? What about improving it would be most beneficial and in what way?

What is it for you?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ssh, frankly, I just want to be faster. Self preservation kicks in way too early.

There is some talk that it's because I don't fall often enough, I've forgotten that it might not hurt.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Better timing on transition. I feel that mis-timing the transition is what most consistently messes up my skiing at the moment.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm rubbish off piste. Going to crack it this winter hopefully. 3rd week of 1st trip is an off piste course with easiski, that leaves the 6 weeks of my 2nd trip to practise Happy That should open up more of the mountain to me.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I'm rubbish off piste. Going to crack it this winter hopefully

and me - I'd doing Charlotte's course too. And on piste, short radius/long arc turns.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
More mtfu and better ability to be smoov in funky snow e.g wind crust, rain crust, sastrugi.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My Winter mountain safety knowledge, it's been 35 years since I dug a snow hole and transceivers needed the valves to warm up (bit exaggerated . . . but not by much) before they could be used . . . Then there's the need for aerobic fitness to probe line a debris field . . . just lots of relearning/learning/updating all the stuff we should know before we set out on the hill.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, I didn't know you were doing it, will be good to meet and ski together.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Continue to work on pole plants, and keeping the stem disappeared, I think my next goal is separation.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GS turns on steep pitches, three weeks of training and they still suck big time
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Claude B, yes, was supposed to be doing it last year but stopped by injury. I wondered if I was too old last year..... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, Could be a grey course by the sound of it wink My friend Simon is on it too, he's staying with me. He has skied (or his kids more) with Charlotte for well over 10 years. She's been dying to try to sort the 2 of us out for ages Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Everything...from top to bottom!
Skiing is such a black art, lesson after lesson an I still look around and wish I could ski like that!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd like to improve my technique for skiing the slushy 4pm snow in April.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bank balance and annual leave so I could have more skiing holidays...
ski holidays
Falling off stuff with more style and grace.
snow conditions
Quote:

Could be a grey course by the sound of it

Excellent! snowHead
ski holidays
I'd love to learn how to pull off a 360. I can pirouette while skiing on the flat, I can jump 270 degrees with my skis on, on the flat when stationary, and I can jump 180 when skiing along on the flat, but I can only ever seem to managed a 180 off an actual jump!
ski holidays
I can get down most of the slopes that I want to? No particular interest in off piste, none at all in becoming a park rat, but I really would like to do what I do a bit more elegantly. Most of my skiing FEELS quite elegant and effortless, but I always think that I look like some vast spider thrashing down the mountain.
ski holidays
More confidence off piste.
latest report
More mtfu, especially relating to cliffs and air. Having watched some comp mogul skiers training recently, I'd like a bit of that too.
snow conditions
Quote:

frankly, I just want to be faster

I was going to say the opposite.

I keep picking up speed, so want to have better speed control. That's what's on top of my list for next week anyway, followed by icy steeps, and bumps, then better piste-side powder technique.
snow report
Fix my broken feet.
ski holidays
ssh, how about you?
snow report
Quote:

Fix my broken feet

good point. Puts things into perspective.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
ssh, frankly, I just want to be faster. Self preservation kicks in way too early.

There is some talk that it's because I don't fall often enough, I've forgotten that it might not hurt.

That and being able to tackle boiler plate piste.
snowHead
latest report
Being able to decide what I would most like to improve.

Possibly the PSB will help me decide.
ski holidays
mastering nasty moguls. not that I particularly enjoy moguls, but it will help me be more confident in trees
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob wrote:
More mtfu and better ability to be smoov in funky snow e.g wind crust, rain crust, sastrugi.

This.

And to get my head past the "I'm in the air!!!!!!!" barrier. Tbf, that's mostly driven by an old injury but the physics of it all suggests that, given a suitable gradient on the landing, a small straight air should be no issue!
snow report
Access to helicopters and guides Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Again, I need to MTFU a bit and start jumping off some bigger things
latest report
My German
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
My German

This and my carving I think. I've been trying to ski harder terrain to push myself but I think I need to go back a bit and ski easier terrain better so lots of carving practice on flat, empty blues.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
ssh, how about you?
Thanks for asking!

I will continue to focus on moving my body more inside the turn, and getting more pressure on that outside ski while guiding the inside ski with greater separation of my skis on the snow.

That said, I hope I have virtually no time to play with that because the snow is so deep that I'll be busy playing with my soft snow antics! snowHead
ski holidays
harrim51 wrote:
Everything...from top to bottom!
Skiing is such a black art, lesson after lesson an I still look around and wish I could ski like that!

Exactly how I feel. Plus I need to get the belief that I can do it, I know I can because I have, to an extent, but lack of confidence is a big issue, married with a need not to get hurt as others rely on me for care - but I love it too much to give up skiing, so I battle on!

And +1 for needing a bigger bank balance and more time, but I guess that goes for most of us Cool
snow report
harrim51 wrote:

Hmmm, (n.b. I am not an instructor),

* how skis work is not really so hard to understand, although rarely explained. For some people this understanding alone helps remove some of the darkness. A dumb robot can "ski" - there's a video on here somewhere...

* "lesson after lesson" - sounds like you need a different instructor?

* how often do you ski? e.g. many (esp. UK-based) "skiers" ski for one, maybe two, weeks a year and do nothing else about it. I don't think I would ever expect to be able to play tennis or golf (not that I can anyway) with any real competence with only 6 days a year of practice and tuition.
snow report
harrim51,
Quote:

Get another instructor wink
latest report
Quote:
MTFU
This Laughing
Though without any particularly gnarly expectations. Looking "cooler in the carve" would do me fine wink
ski holidays
There's a lot of truth in learning by play . . . one of the biggest restraints to improvement is the feeling of being foolish or being seen to be performing at a lesser level than you think you should be. It can be that one step forward results in two steps back but a step back can result in two steps forward.

One of the biggest problems I encountered as a coach was when a athlete 'locked in' a particular body movement . . . it's both a physical and mental symbiosis, one triggering the other & visa versa. You almost always have to go backward and relearn the skill in a different way to break the habitual response and progress from that.

It's also a reality that as we age and experience the pain of doing summat dumb we shy away from repeating it so we stop pushing against boundaries and often actively regress . . . inhibiting both our ability and desire to learn new things.
snow report
feef wrote:
I'd love to learn how to pull off a 360. I can pirouette while skiing on the flat, I can jump 270 degrees with my skis on, on the flat when stationary, and I can jump 180 when skiing along on the flat, but I can only ever seem to managed a 180 off an actual jump!

Exactly this!

There just seems to be some invisible forcefield that stops me spinning at 180 degrees
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy