Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ethics call for skiing steeps... it's about time.

Poster: A snowHead
I don't think that Nazi related puns are funny, Anne Frankly I won't stand for it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To be honest I'm pretty damned Führerious.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If his point is that how you go down something should be as important as whether you go down it all then its quite funny coming from him, as I recall he and Xavier de la Rue took a little stick for having a filming chopper watch them ski three or four turns on the Aiguille du Plan before spending, literally, hours rappelling down the rest of it.

Now I'm not critical of him doing that and I admire his safety ethic but what was the point of that? Well the point was to get publicity. Hence him bringing in a superstar boarder to do it with him. And he's there milking the publicity without publicising the fact that some other lads had boarded it without rappel around he same time, in much finer style, without blowing their own trumpets. So I think he's being a little hypocritical.

I do think he has a point though. I remember coming across a video of a well known mountain runner all but snow ploughing down the Gervasutti Couloir. It was patently obvious from the video he shouldn't have been any where near the place (and I speak as someone who also should be nowhere near any of these lines and probably cut a similar spectre sliding down the likes of the Grand Couloir) but it seems that as these lines are done more and more so that they become effectively run of the mill, the standard of people who think they can have a a crack at them falls. And I suspect the proliferation of gopro and youtube has a lot to do with that.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also, a lot of people who made (perhaps retrospectively) dubious decisions in their younger days may actually be the ones best placed to speak out about their own experiences, and of how their viewpoints may have changed. I'm not backing him up at all, it's just that I find it an interesting issue to be raised.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
8611, But yes... he may not be the best placed to preach lol.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Avalanche Poodle wrote:
And if people are not aware; in climbing there is a huge tradition of discussing ethics

The key debates in climbing revolve around actions that permanently change the rock for everybody (bolting, chipping). It's accepted that the style of first ascents should be disclosed e.g. redpointing (practising moves), points of aid etc. but that's about first ascents, which are a matter of record in climbing and therefore matter (to climbers). Nobody, except Billy and possibly his mates, cares if Billy places a side-runner on some route at Stanage that 10,000 people have climbed before. And if his mates care that much, maybe Billy needs to find new friends.

The parallel to skiing is weak.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It was a minor point saying perhaps we all should think a little. Nothing more from my side. I've stopped drinking now and may even get to bed. The only point I made was that perhaps people should think personally about their motivation. Nice to see so many self important cunts take a stance Wink Sleep well dog wanker.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Charmed I'm sure. Rest assured I won't be responding to your posts again.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Isn't it devaluing if not misusing 'ethics' - commonly understood to be about matters of morally principled or unprincipled behaviour, the values of good and bad actions etc - to use it of matters like how you choose to descend a mountain slope?

Just wondering Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow Avalanche Poodle, it is clear from your last post that you should have stopped drinking and went to bed a long time ago. You know you have lost the debate when you have to stoop to swearing and calling people names
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Seems like a bit of a stretch to invoke 'ethics', given the content of the article. Guy wants to do some particular ski-mountaineering objective, sees that it isn't in great condition, opts not to bother. That's fine. Then going on to talk about some sort of artistic notion of style and appropriate descent? That doesn't make you an ethical skiier, it makes you a pseud.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well the thread was certainly more interesting and entertaining than the article.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How come the swear filter censors 'bugger', but allows the c-bomb!? Oh. W**ker becomes 'funny fellow'.

What a load of poo-poo Be Nice please! (just testing)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd say that's a chap who needed an idea for some copy. I don't see much parallel with climbing or caving, both of which I'm familiar with.

Caving, you can back out, but hiding behind "ethics" would just make it worse. The excuse he would need there is that it's unreasonably dangerous to continue. Wimping out because it just gets tough would be disgraceful to UK cavers at least.

Why would anyone else care if the guy glissades it, side-slips it, or even if he wastes it completely by using a pair of skis?
snow conditions
J9, It's when you can barely see the screen that gives you a hint as well. I was getting quite silly but enjoyed all the banter. Apologies to anyone I insulted, dogwatch especially. Embarassed
latest report
Back to the original question - IMHO if you are not putting anyone else in danger, or potentially requiring rescue by being reckless, or destroying the natural environment, then how you ski a line is entirely up to you. I have to agree with meh that this seems like an attempt to impose an elitist view of skiing that unless you do it their way it doesn't count. In my view this is complete ballocks!

All this is said in the complete knowledge that I have neither the climbing, snow conditions assessment, or skiing skills to do these types of runs.
ski holidays
I have a season ticket for a ski centre a little over an hour's drive from my house... if i go and the conditions are poo-poo I will go home after a couple of runs.... If a film is poo-poo i will walk out the cinema or change the channel on the TV... no ethics if its not worth your time do something else....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy