Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 hours from Eurotunnel

Poster: A snowHead
These are the latest averages.

http://fuel-prices-europe.info/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boris, were you using some 5p per litre coupons, as we've calculated often that it is still cheaper on the autoroute to the Uk. OUr French fill up in July was £61.00 (exchange rate was 1.16). UK one last week was £73 (and the fuel price has dropped here since then).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hells Bells, I think we have established I am mistaken Embarassed

Will still stop there as is convenient for us though!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boris,sorry, I went out in mid-post, and hit submit an hour later.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I went out in mid-post, and hit submit an hour later.

Laughing Boris, your loyalty to Tesco is touching.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, and gets Clubcard points wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, they pay for the Eurotunnel crossing wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Take care also with quality - more important I expect for diesel fuel. I've twice had problems with diesel jelling during cold snaps (-20s) on ski trips, and each was after filling up at a cheap supermarket filling station in Albertville. Never had issues when using premium branded diesel, which I'm told they take more care over to ensure effectiveness of cold-weather additives.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just buy it on the motorway but just filling half way. That way you are driving 60kg lighter all the time. It will be the same as filling up in a 3p cheaper pump.

E
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
have a 1/4 tank to get you to just south Reims, get off at Tinqueux, pop into Leclerc which is literally just off motorway. fill up, that gets you down to Chambery comfortably, fill up at Chambery Nord at Carrefour at Service Mottex or whatever it is.......this gets you easily to resort and back, on the return....repeat in reverse

Of course only applies if you are going 3V, EK areas
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

they pay for the Eurotunnel crossing

they pay for mine, too, but that doesn't mean I am prepared to pay a premium for their petrol.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hardly call it a premium, as has been pointed out probably a few quid difference when all said and done. I'll pay that for convenience
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some interesting points here. Following problems a couple of years back when we enjoyed weeks of -20c, I bought some diesel additive to stop it waxing, its the same stuff that the fuel companies use. One thing I do is try and keep the tank topped up to minimise condensation in the tank.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
difference currently on diesel is approx 20p per litre.......£15 or so a tank x 3.5 = £52.50

covers a half cooked cold burger and greasy chips up the hill!!!!!!!

LOL
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stefoy4me, it would cover 4 plats du jour in my neck of the woods, so if I add a picher of vin rouge at around €6 a litre, that's a nice lunch. But I don't use anything like enough fuel to make such a big saving!

I have frequently caught a train which I would have missed if I'd stopped off for fuel in that Tesco and paid a premium to top up a tank which was way over half full. What's "convenient" about making more fuel stops than you need, on top of the higher price Puzzled

It seems that a stop at that Tesco is part of the holiday ritual for some folks, like my dad and his pasties - it wasn't a holiday without home made pasties for the picnic on the outward journey. Whatever floats your boat wink. The extra cost of the petrol, and the time it takes to pull off the motorway and top up your tank is not a big deal in the context of a drive to the Alps.
ski holidays
agreed, especially the likes of Leclerc at Reims Sud and Carrefour at Chambery, they are almost as close to the motorway as pulling off into one of the service stations anyway!!!!
latest report
stefoy4me, a bit like the Super-U one at Nuits-St-George, it is closer than many of the autoroute ones are once you travel round their one way systems.

pam w, our little necessity is pork pies to eat on the tunnel crossing.
ski holidays
pam w, some of us are running on empty when we get to Ashford, I wouldn't stop to fill up there unless the red light is on.

I've never missed a train yet wink
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

We fill for convenience rather than a money saving exercise

Same here - though I don't see what's convenient about stopping to fill up after 75 miles! I don't know what my new car will do yet - around 50 mpg I expect. I start full from home then probably fill up again half way down. Always top the tank right up in Sallanches before driving up the mountain - it'll be "mountain diesel", a full tank is less likely to suffer from problems and there's no fuel up near my place.

We only stop if it is convenient, it just means we start on a full tank and, as there is usually time, it does no harm. Worst case, if we are short on time, we'd drive on to the tunnel, no great loss either way.

I certainly cannot understand anyone wasting time hunting for a few cents saving (probably equivalent to saving £5 - £6 on a full tank). Surely, no one is that sad? Although reading this thread ......... Laughing
snow conditions
FraserP, that £5-6 per tank adds up if you travel there 5 times a year though, but even then I do like to be on my way quickly once we've crossed over, detours are usually very short ones and saved for later in the journey.
latest report
stefoy4me wrote:
agreed, especially the likes of Leclerc at Reims Sud and Carrefour at Chambery, they are almost as close to the motorway as pulling off into one of the service stations anyway!!!!
Used these several times. We even overnighted at Chambery when we could not get our usual place in Albertville.
latest report
altis, Good spot with the Intermarche. Much better than the carrefour which is a pain to get to. There is an intermarche between Dunquerke and Calais too - well signposted to the north of the motorway. Rock-bottom price.

How much I care about he price/time/buggering about conundrum depends on which car (Disco runs on veg anyway, unless its reeely cold when I need 90 litres of diesel) or C4 (smallish tank), who I want to have a 5 minute break from being stuck in the car with, my need for caffeine, and whether the toilet needs to have a seat or not.

However, I strongly advise filling up in alberville/moutiers/elsewhere down the mountain as when you have a 200km round trip to collect your mother-in-law from the hospital in St Jean-de-Maurienne to do once you've belted it all the way back from Orelle on skis, the last thing you want to be doing is waiting for a fuel delivery to finish so you can use the petrol pump. Mad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy