Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quickest Route to Bourg

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Whenever I drive over to Bourg I take the route via Bourg en Bresse - Bellgarde sue Valserine - Frangy - Annecy - Albertville - Moutiers - Aime - Bourg.
I drove back a few weeks ago on a Tuesday leaving Bourg about 4PM and hit pretty horrendous traffic all the way up to Bourg en Bresse - if memory serves it took circa 3 hours to get to the motorway network at Bourg en Bresse. Looking at google maps there is another route via chambrey and then north to lyon which might be quicker and certainly avoids the slower roads from BSM to Bourg en Bresse. Has anyone done this route, and is it quicker?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Going from Bourg to Chambery then on to Lyon takes about the same amount of time as going via Annecy, but is significantly longer and more expensive (fuel + tolls).

Traffic around Chambery and Lyon can be bad too, but generally better than Annecy. If you are going to hit bad traffic along the lakeside and through Annecy then going via Lyon is definitely quicker.

In short - if the roads are empty, go via Annecy. If there's any chance of traffic problems, go via Lyon.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always take the motorway from Bourg en Bresse to Lyon airport and hence the Chambery, Albertville and hence Bourg St. Maurice. It is quicker, but I doubt by much
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ILuv2Ryde, I have never tried the Frangy route.
According to Google Maps this is the shortest route (197 km) but takes the longest: 2hr 41mins.
My usual route is via Lyon: this is the longest at 229 km, but takes the shortest time: 2hr 14mins.
All routes can be plagued by horrendous traffic.
We've usually been coming in on the Lyon route late afternoon/early evening, and the only bad snarl up is the peage station when you come down onto the A43 after going round the East side of Lyon.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll definitely give the lyon route a try if it's only 30K longer. To be fair I think I just had some bad luck on the last journey as its usually fine and I do the journey year round but have just followed the sat nav without giving too much though to which route I am taking.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I never ever go via Annecy because of the heavy traffic either side of the lake and rarely go via Bourg en Brasse. We avoid Lyon altogether by using the recently opened A432.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
An alternative to the A342 and the Annecy Route is to take the Tunel Du Chat North out of Chambry and follow the road to Belly this spills back on to the A42 at Aberieu en Bugey. G Very Happy enerally no quicker than going by the A342 but shorter and quieter Watch out for the possible property redevelopment oppertunity!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do the journey four times a year and always try new routes in the summer , Annacy is shortest but massive jams around the lake so forget it , spent 2 hrs there this summer . The chicken run is preferable if heavy traffic but since the opening of the A432 , A6 to Lyon and turn for Chambrey on A432 the only way I now consider
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy