Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How often do you wash your ski trousers/jacket?

Poster: A snowHead
Just out of interest, why do so many of you not wash your ski wear in the washing machine along with other clothes as normal? I assume this is something to do with the technical nature of the high end stuff? I always just chuck mine in with my jeans and stuff after a week's holiday and never noticed any issues, but my ski gear is just basic stuff from Decathlon...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Layne wrote:
Looks like everyones on the same page with this.... NOT!

haha that's why I wondered!

Oh well, I will stick with the 'as little as possible' routine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have some techie stuff from Nikwax that I use to wash my ski jackets (and any other similar jacket needing a clean up. They go in on a Fine Wash cycle with a very low spin rate then I hang them over the bath to drip dry. I tend to wash my ski trousers more often than my jackets but as I have about 6 pairs I can always rotate them with the jackets. Jackets get washed once or twice a season depending on how ashamed I am of the dirt marks! Embarassed

I used to have some Patagonia stuff (nicked from my car in Bristol sadly) that I would throw in the general wash and then followed the instrctions to iron them with a medium hot/warm (not scalding) iron to reactivate the waterproofing. Never got wet nor was I ever cold in it!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia wrote:
Just out of interest, why do so many of you not wash your ski wear in the washing machine along with other clothes as normal? I assume this is something to do with the technical nature of the high end stuff? I always just chuck mine in with my jeans and stuff after a week's holiday and never noticed any issues, but my ski gear is just basic stuff from Decathlon...

I do that - don't think it's a techy thing - just that some people one here are a bit anal about kit
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Surely we all throw our stuff away at the end of each trip so we can buy the latest fashions Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ha. I've only just thrown away my Rodeo polo necks from C&A!

But anyway, I don't use detergent because I've read it destroys the breathability or waterproofing or both, and when I've spent £150 (or whatever it was) on a jacket, I want it to work properly.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HoneyBunny, I removed a couple of those to the charity bag at the beginning of last winter. I think they belonged to the kids though not me.

queen bodecia, I do so because I have more than one person to stick washing in for, so it is more worthwhile to do a separate load of ski gear when I can get it outside to dry. Otherwise it seems to drip all over the floor.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia, the 'optical brighteners' (bleach) in detergent blocks the breathability pores in technical wear. So does fabric conditioner. I use liquid wool wash for all my ski gear as that contains neither.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fair enough. I'm pretty sure my gear is not technical/waterproof/breathable or whatever.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Outer layers very very rarely. Think I washed my ski trousers once last season, and that was only 'cos I managed to fall over in a muddy puddle whilst running for a bus in ski boots in the city.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia, even Decathlon stuff will have a degree of waterproof/breathability.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Never, if it starts to smell that means I've had it too long and it'll be out of fashion so will need to buy new stuff. ~Every 2 years
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999, OK I can imagine needing to washing your trousers after a "touching cloth" incident, but what is wrong with mud?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE, nothing particularly, but I'd only had them about 4 weeks and the big brown stain on the front upper thigh somewhat detracted from my normal dapper appearance Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For all of you who don't wash your shell or outer layers regularly, you think you smell fine and dandy but you don't. I smell your ilk stinking up the top bin at Grands Montets and Aiguille du Midi. Shame on you. You deserve a poke with the sharp end of a pointy ski pole. Pah.
snow conditions
Zero_G, Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Interesting to see the rift between those in the know and those who just throw their gear in blasé. I guess it depends on how much you use it and how much you'll be pushing the kit, but personally spending most of my time in outdoor gear I've learnt that taking good care of it is a valuable task that repays itself tenfold. Regularly cleaned kit, washed in the correct manner in specific washing liquids and reproofed with the right reproofer lasts way longer than neglected gear, and it performs a hell of a lot better too. It's not being anal, just making sure that you stay dry and warm even in horrible conditions! Personally I'm switching up my gear a little this year as I'm using a Montane Extreme jacket (softshell), which will also be plied into trade when out working routes on the grit/other equally cold crags, along with various other aspects of winter mountaineering that I might find myself embroiled in - on that basis I plan on taking very good care of it, there's nothing worse than feeling cold and wet and rubbish when you should be enjoying yourself.

Arguably more relevant for lower level skiers too, as due to the nature of our wonderful sport they will doubtless come into contact with the snow a whole lot more than a more technically competent individual.
latest report
Never. My jacket and trousers are just shells.

The under gear always gets washed though. And if it stank my missus would tell me.

Had a pair of gloves once that we're not allowed in the gondola
ski holidays
I have never washed my trousers.
latest report
I made the mistake of buying cream ski trousers and am a klutz so they get washed every year. I use the Nik wax wash and reproofer and activate it in a warmish tumble dryer. Seems to do the trick. I always wear a base under mine though which is washed after every wear which is why I smell like an angel Cool
ski holidays
Whisky_priest, until I found gloves with washable liners mine would be banned in bubbles after about 10 weeks. My ski boots have been evicted from hotel boot rooms.

Seriously though, if you are using kit with a breathable membrane, doesn't it get clogged up after a while? and require unclogging?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

Seriously though, if you are using kit with a breathable membrane, doesn't it get clogged up after a while? and require unclogging?

Yes, and yes.
snow conditions
With most it's actually about keeping the face fabric water resistant so it doesn't wet out which leaves the membrane about as breathable as a plastic bag. You can restore that by tumble drying the item when it's dry on a warm not hot setting. eVent stuff comes with specific instructions to wash it often as the membrane itself does get clogged up. It's super important to make sure the washing machine soap tray is totally clean and to run an empty load to make sure any normal cleaner has been nuked otherwise the entire process is pretty pointless as the DWR coating will be ruined. First thing to check is what the manufacturer recommends.
ski holidays
rasmanisar, i was trying to be unconfrontational snowHead
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
rasmanisar, i was trying to be unconfrontational snowHead

Haha, no worries. I think honesty is the best policy however when it comes to caring for expensive kit! snowHead
snow report
Rarely, ruins it, only when actually visibly dirty...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy