Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Squats - helping or hindering a poorly knee

Poster: A snowHead
HammondR,

I would not advise skiing with a displaced fragment in a knee that is locking.
You will risk , permanently, damaging the arteriolar cartilage.
Sorry

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jonathan Bell,
Advice taken & followed. Trip postponed to the end of March. MRI scan appointment arrangement letter arrived this morning, & GP arranging for an arthroscopy ASAP, so things should be sorted fo better or worse in a reasonable timescale.

For information, UCPA, & their UK agents Action Outdoors, are fantastic. With a week notice they were able to rearrange our course for any other available week this season. We opted for 29th March. Should I get to a stage when due to the timing of any surgery (or lack of), it becomes clear that I/we cannot make it, then we can change names of one or both of our party (i.e. Give away or sell the holiday).

Cheers
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
HammondR, good result. Hope you make it
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
HammondR wrote:
Jonathan Bell,
Advice taken & followed. Trip postponed to the end of March. MRI scan appointment arrangement letter arrived this morning, & GP arranging for an arthroscopy ASAP, so things should be sorted fo better or worse in a reasonable timescale.

For information, UCPA, & their UK agents Action Outdoors, are fantastic. With a week notice they were able to rearrange our course for any other available week this season. We opted for 29th March. Should I get to a stage when due to the timing of any surgery (or lack of), it becomes clear that I/we cannot make it, then we can change names of one or both of our party (i.e. Give away or sell the holiday).

Cheers

That's a fantastic service. I just wish, when they take people off piste skiing in Chx that they would ski in groups smaller than 15! Good luck with getting knee sorted
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We'll
I've just had my knee operated on ( Wednesday) & will shortly be asking a couple more questions. It is stinging a bit, but at least I did not succumb under the gas as I feared.
Hammond R
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
HammondR,

Glad to hear you survived he anaesthetic.

I'm relived to report that is commonplace Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonathan Bell,
Jonathan

Not only have i survived the anaesthetic, it turns out I have no signs of superbug infection either. I only requires the operation to emerge as successful & I will be the poster boy for the NHS.

If I may impose, I would like to check out a couple of things. I would do this with my consultant, but it is easier to have a discussion with Lord Lucan. He has arranged to see me 2 weeks AFTER I return from skiing. Through his secretary he has advised me that I "could damage the knee again, & should wear a knee brace".

As I was still asleep when he visited after surgery, I could not check out the questions on my little list. So, 7 weeks & 2 days (51 days for any Snowheads reading) after surgery I am due to ski. Thus far I have been doing the rehab. exercises as set out on the bits of paper I have been given. Lots of it. After 9 days I am almost walking as before the op, & same for up & down stairs (with a hint of occasional discomfort).

My discharge notes state "partial meniscectomy". That's all.

For timescales, you helpfully suggested earlier "A straight forward medial meniscus ( no osteoarthritis found ) & you will probably be ok at six weeks. Four will be pushing your luck a bit.

Lateral menisectomy, again no wear, think eight weeks.".

Where in that might a partial miniscectomy fit? I asked if there was any indication of osteoarthritis - all will be revealed mid April!

I suppose i am just checking that a 7 week recovery period doesn't sound too radical? I was intending to start incorporating the exercises from your ski fitness information on an accelerated basis from this weekend. I have a bioskin knee brace.

Regards
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HammondR, I skied after a meniscus trim with my surgeons OK at 3 weeks, but was not allowed to return to ski teaching for at least 6 weeks. He just told me to rest when I felt like it which I would not be able to do if I were instructing clients. My surgeon was Professor Mayr of the DSV Olympic Medical team and my rehab was at the DSV Olympic Centre in Bad Wiessee with really "sadistic" physios Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samerberg Sue,

Thanks for that Sue. I suspect you are a year or two younger than me, but informative none the less.

I certainly envy you having such top class rehab support. I have a few pages of illustrations & a lot of enthusiasm. My rehab will be taking place in my front room in Northowram.

Going back to the title of this thread, I must try and resist reintroducing squats too soon! Then again....

Cheers
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
HammondR, have you not seen a Physio yet?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NickyJ,
Well there's another tale! From November to Christmas I was working on avoiding surgery through exercise (including those squats).

I had an initial session with a physio through the NHS who gave me a number of exercises to work on. I was due for weekly visits in the New Year, by which time I was back to zero, & going through the process of arranging surgery.

I will find out on Monday if I am able to return or if I need to make private arrangements.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The day of my knee operation the phsyio came to see me, gaffe me a printed list of exercises and gave me an appointment to see her after the op iirc it was within 2 weeks of the operation.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
HammondR, Way out! I'm probably quite a bit older than you, but thanks for the thought! Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
HammondR,

Partial medial menisectomy is what 95% of people have. It just means a small part removed from the back if the meniscus , usually about 20-30% of the total .

Return to ski after arthroscopy at 7 weeks should be fine. At three you would almost certainly still have an effusion which would increase your risk of re injury, but you might get away with it.

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonathan Bell,
Fab

Many thanks
ski holidays
Jonathan Bell, Twice daily 1 hour sessions of Lymph Drainage Massage had the swelling and effusion out of the way before I went. That was Mayr's only proviso. I also had to elevate, compress and ice every evening after skiing.
latest report
Amazing what a difference icing every evening after skiing makes, even to normally hurty (but uninjured) knees. I was good to go every morning, for a fortnight. Oh, icing, and sleeping in my boil-in-the-bags aka compression tights aka passion killers. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue,
I would like to compare notes. You clearly had some super dooper rehab support. Was your progress linear in the weeks immediately after the operation?

For 10/12 days after mine, with diligent rehab as per instruction, I improved every day. This last week I have been in increasing discomfort in the joint where it hurt with the original injury. When I get any discomfort, I stop whatever I am doing (i.e. I don't "work through the pain"). This now means I am doing less than a week ago, & feel as though I I going backwards.

By this stage (op. 3 weeks ago on Wednesday) I was hoping to introduce some of Jonathan's ski clinic exercises. Did you have such ups & downs, or am I clapped out? I see my physio next week.
snow report
HammondR, Yes I had superb rehab, both in the facilities and the people working with me. The whole purpose of rehab here in Germany is to get you back to being active as soon as realistically possible. There are no hard and fast rules and each case (even on the same person) is treated uniquely. Age is something they do not refer to unless you are particularly inactive.

All rehabs go in phases of fantastic progress then a knock back or two for whatever reason. It is never a nice neat straight line back to normal. If you are having problems that are impinging on your overall progress, then you need to get someone to assess you in the real world. Either while you go through the exercise programme you are following (sports physio is the best for that) or a practitioner to evaluate whether your meniscus tear has reopened - it does happen and for the weirdest of reasons sometimes. I had one trim done and was making really good progress but slipped on a wet floor the night before I was to be discharged from the rehab centre and tore the same meniscus again. This was 3 weeks after the first trim! As the wet floor was the responsibility of the hospital I was in, they operated as soon as the MRI showed the tear and gave me even better rehab the second time around! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Here is an update for all those kind enough to have provided help and advice.

Just back from skiing in Chamonix. All the effort before & after the operation was worthwhile. I skied for 7 full days of our 8 days, with my son. That included all but one of the off piste days with UCPA. Skiing began 52 days after the surgery.

We took it carefully at first. Morning 2 & 3 we had private lessons from the excellent Shona Tate of BASS in readiness for the grizzly stuff to come. Under the fantastic guidence of our UCPA instructor Manu, I was able to visit some territory that would have seemed impossible 7 weeks earlier.

Not only was I fortunate physically, but also in terms of our stay. As it was a quiet week our group (which should have been 10) comprised of 5 for the first half, and 4 for the second half of the course. It was like a private lesson.

What advice could i offer anyone else suffering a similar injury in similar circumstances? Don't ski the home run (in this case from the GM) at the end of the day in slushy conditions. I had vowed not to do this, did it anyway on our fourth day on that hill & tweaked the knee half way down. The first real problem of any sort. Could not ski the final day. What a dope. Also, avoid button tows. They don't help.

So if I can get going again at 55, most of you youngsters out there can.

Seeing my doctor next week. I wonder if I will be allowed to resume squats.......?

Cheers.
ski holidays
Thanks for the update and to all who contributed. My problem is different but lots of parallels. Helpful reading. Btw, i am 58 and have done 30 days on snow this year, 18 continuos with a seriosly comprimised knee, so let's hear it for the old people!
snow report
lynnecha wrote:
Thanks for the update and to all who contributed. My problem is different but lots of parallels. Helpful reading. Btw, i am 58 and have done 30 days on snow this year, 18 continuos with a seriosly comprimised knee, so let's hear it for the old people!

You are only old when you can't ski anymore😉
latest report
Jonathan Bell,
Quote:

You are only old when you can't ski anymore😉

oh yes, I do like that Very Happy Very Happy we have just done our 80th day this year - and in a couple of week's time will be back in the UK making full use of our bus passes and things like that. But as I posted somewhere else last week I consider myself to be a founder member of the Knee Preservation Society - so I certainly treat mine with a great deal of respect.

Having been 'quite' successful last year on the old 5:2 regime I really felt a difference in the knees when I got back on my skis in December.
snow conditions
I once tried doing squats... at first I had a clicking in my knee but after a while (if you do them correctly) it all stopped for me and my knees strengthened up.. though you got to be careful that your pain is related to overuse injuries.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy