Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you do on a chairlift?

Poster: A snowHead
Snowbird wrote:
Paul Mason wrote:
I lick the metal to see if my tongue freezes !

you forgot to mention that it stuck to the metal bar and we had to get the emergency medics out to release you Blush

Oh forgot to mention.......I had to get the emergency services out to rescue me...... Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RachelQ wrote:
There's a very long civilized not overlooked gondola that goes back up from les Brevieres .....
Sometimes we can be given just too little information.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Caspar, have you never met Paul Mason, ?? he's an animal Little Angel
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Blow a tune on my mouth organ, sometimes the national anthem of whoever Im on with - God Save the Queen and Deutchland Uber Alles (Ode To Joy) are my favourites. The Marseillaise is trickier.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Blow a tune on my mouth organ
Speaking of which doess remind me of an experience a good friend of mine had on a chiarlift in la PLagne.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowbird, So I gather. But what kind? Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, are you sure it was a good friend ????
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chat mostly, often in bad french to confused looking brits. Like the other diabetics here I have also done a fair number of blood glucose tests , and then usually gobbled fudge/mars bars/mentos to get me back to a sensible state before the next mad leg burn blast .
Ogling the "knickers tree" in vail was always a good laugh - I am sure there is some kind of game you could play regarding how many types you recognised rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So, most snowheads do get out something when on a chairlift:
Hip flask, insulin syringe and glucose meter, chocolate bars, ciggies, ski pole rifle, and tongue have all been mentioned.
But the only thing anyone has admitted to dropping is a “stinker”.
Are snowheads really so careful? (or lucky)?

And I have to ask - what is the Knicker Tree?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A friend of mine in StAnton this year managed to pull the mouthpiece from the end of his Camelback tube. In the ensuing panic, a fair amount of water spurted down the front of his jacket. By the time he got off the lift, the whole front of his jacket was ice. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Paul Mason, If it had been me it would have been my first post on SnowHeads.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim wrote:
So, most snowheads do get out something when on a chairlift:
Hip flask, insulin syringe and glucose meter, chocolate bars, ciggies, ski pole rifle, and tongue have all been mentioned.
But the only thing anyone has admitted to dropping is a “stinker”.
Are snowheads really so careful? (or lucky)?

And I have to ask - what is the Knicker Tree?

Jonpim, I am afraid to say I have dropped the odd sweetie wrapper, and I managed to drop my first lift pass abroad out of a gondola in Flaine in 84. So I do drop litter ( hangs head in shame) but I try not to ( cold fingers don't always help).

There was ( in 97 or 98 when I went ) a tree down in one of the back bowls in vail covered in all sorts of lacey and frilly ladies underwear. Not sure the purpose Laughing but it kept me amused ( small mind ) and my wife annoyed as I suggested items to her every time we took the chair that went over it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nothing to do with Tom Jones then?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonpim wrote:
Nothing to do with Tom Jones then?

I didn't see him there - would it be unusual to see him skiing there?? Smile . I also never noticed/had the guts to ask if any of the women we met in restaurants/ on chairs were "going commando" !
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The lure of google was too strong to resist - the story is here Not all litter thrown from chairs is "bad" snowHead
snow conditions
I have to confess to having dropped a glove once... in the last few yards before getting to the top of a chair. I thought it was gone for good, but a friend in the lift behind told me it had landed a few feet away from the plunge down the cliff face so I intrepidly waded across the (bloody deep!) snow under the lift to retrieve it. little realising that the ground underneath the snow was loose scree and very stony. Had a few (with hindsight) comedy wobbles on the edge of a rather nasty 30ft drop as I retrieved the glove, much to the amusement of the people passing above my head flinging down (mostly) good natured abuse...

Talking of abuse from chairlifts above, why is it that all spectacular falls I do always happen immediately underneath crowded chairlifts and never on the nice quiet pistes away from the madding crowds...?
snow conditions
Quote:

Talking of abuse from chairlifts above, why is it that all spectacular falls I do always happen immediately underneath crowded chairlifts and never on the nice quiet pistes away from the madding crowds...?

It's a known fact that gravity is actually stronger under or near chairlifts and restaurants. You are therefore more likely to crash in these places. There is also the added effect of bored people on lifts simply willing you to fall. NehNeh
latest report

A picture speaks a thousand words, right...?
snow report
re bubble antics - when I worked my ski season, two our ski guides (male and female who were an item) were caught by guests making amorous use of a long bubble journey. They were sacked! It was a real shame because they were good people
snow conditions
Re: Lingerie in the trees.

I've seen this decorative art form somewhere else in the US/Canada - may have been Panorama or Stowe, is it common in the US?
latest report
jedster, I presume that was in the USA - in France they would have been given medal.
snow conditions
From now on, look more closely at what other people are doing on the other chairs Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
jedster, how amorous would that be?

My boss when I saisonniered had worked for Bladon Lines previously. They were forbidden any amorous contact whatsoever. Like, how realistic is that? "You're going to be a chalet girl and you can't have any cuddles".

Unlikely.

More oddly, the BL corporate rules didn't forbid burning all the chalet furniture for warmth when the central heating failed. Just as well really...

Anyway, I believe Mount Snow (VT) has similar undergarment foliage. As does Whistler. And Blackcomb.

I think it's a North American, "Look we really can do apres ski!", effort.
latest report
I usually have a swig of water, or a nibble on a mars bar. Either that or just enjoy the view

Oh, and try and get some feeling back in me legs and feet, being the athletic kinda guy that I am Wink

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 22-11-05 0:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I usually sit as standing, hanging, lounging etc would be a bit unstable. Skullie
While I sit, I look at the view, other skiers and weld quality on the pylons.
And the odd passing sticker advert. We did sticker sticking on a previous thread . . .
latest report
As well fiddling with myself - Goggles, gloves and the like... I also take in the suroundings. Normally advertising on the slopes realy annoys me but one ad for Evian in Meribel (La Tournette I think) had a picture of the bottle and the headline:
"Welcome to our factory." Class!
ski holidays
lampbus, I quite often check the quality of the welding - although I have no qualifications to do so !?!?

My stepson is a welder at Swan Hunter if that counts ?
ski holidays
Paul Mason, I know what bad welding looks like - I watch it cooling through the mask and think 'that went well' - then I take the mask off . . . Sad
I now leave it up to those with the required skill and experience.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
are those pics from Vail, carled??
snow conditions
We normally do three things:

1. Comment on the last run and why the bunch of geniuses we nearly mowed down were stood in the middle of the piste.

2. Play guess the amount of bubbles/cars on the lift - by a fairly haphazard method of counting how many we see coming down and multiplying it by two. Along the way we comment on how worrying it is that the chairs are in by no means numerical order and how likely that is to mean that at one point they all just fell off the cable..

3. Dismount with ease and then watch our snowboarder friends either a) make a pigs ear of it - invariably taking each otehr out in the process or b) fill the next half an hour with tightening and retightening of bindings!
latest report
There is of course only one thing to really do on a chair lift .... bad renditions of cheesy songs !

If you've ever heard the strains of Janis Joplins 'Mercedes Benz' song, chances are it was me or one of my pals !

I have to admit to dropping a glove once in la Plagne - I have the so-called 'idiot strings' on my gloves and make a great play about how great they are and how I don't run the risk of losing a glove when I am on a lift.. blah blah blah..

More fool me... the stick i got when I'd forgotten to put the strings on a let go of my glove as normal ...... doh ! rolling eyes
snow report
Richie_S, remeber chortling to myself seeing a french dad surounded by his french kids singing the full version of 'always look on the bright side of life'.
snow report
"Moo" people
snow conditions
Caspar, I hope you don't strawberry moo people ala Cravendale
snow report
saxabar,
Quote:

As well fiddling with myself

wink
My nephew managed to drop a ski (typical child - banging skis together on chair-lift as legs were hanging free). He learnt the hard way that it wasn't clever as he had to wait for his Dad to ski down to it, ski to bottom of run and take lift back up again. He was frozen Skullie the highest temp Tremblant mangaed that holiday at any time was -9C. He now sits beautifully still rolling eyes
snow report
Nick L wrote:
He now sits beautifully still rolling eyes

Is that because he's not thawed out?
snow report
Mrs Z lost a ski on a chair. She jumped on and somehow a ski detached as she sat down. She panicked a bit wondering what she was going to do at the other end with only 1 ski. Fortunately I was on the chair in front so could shout at the liftie at the top that he had a potential problem on his hands arriving. In the end Mrs Z just stayed on the chair and then had to lifted off. Her ski followed up a couple of chairs later.

At Hopfgarten, because it is south facing, you often can't ski down and one particular year we always had to take the couple of chairs back at the end of each day. The chairs had racks on the arms to take your skis. Except one didn't and as I put my skis on it and sat back to relax, I saw my skis tumbling to the ground below. Whoops Blush
snow conditions
laundryman wrote:
Nick L wrote:
He now sits beautifully still rolling eyes

Is that because he's not thawed out?

I remember my first time on a chair lift. For some unfathomable reason I didn't work I had to pull the bar over me so hence sat 'beautifully still' thinking what a ballsy lot boarders and skiers are. rolling eyes
snow report
My better half lost his board on a chairlift... as we pulled the bar down he caught his heel on the footrest which undid his flow bindings and wahey off flew that board. Luckily it was Plan des Main lift in Meribel valley which does not go over any piste. It happened about 20m from the start and the baord just rolled on down and lifties kindly put it on a chairlift all by itself to the top.

Needless to say we check our bindings as we mount chairs these days.... Blush
snow conditions
Mouth, Let that be a lesson. Don't buy flows!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy