Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ploughing.......Why?

Poster: A snowHead
Flet©h, Nail on head. Just what I need to sort out in my daughter's boyfriend's skiing.
Quote:

not skiing parallel but instead just going from hockey stop to hockey stop down the mountain
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
coddlesangers wrote:
Red Leon wrote:
coddlesangers wrote:
Thankfully my first time on skiis was at the top lift in sass fee in november (mittlealallin?), so it was a nice easy slope to get down without being able to turn. I used the "ski into the wall of snow" approach for the first 100 yards, then some simple carved turns and i was back down the bottom

Yep, it's that simple rolling eyes Shocked

Ok, you missed the rest of the post "Easy peasy, don't know what all the fuss is about *nb, there is a full post coming shortly describing the full horror of my first ever ski, need to get it down on paper before my mind fully heals*"

When you have to point out that something was a joke, it loses any potential humour it may have had. I'll stick to the day job.

My bad. I took it at face value and assumed you were serious.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fattes13 wrote:

Actually was teaching a 5 year old on Sunday who basicaly spend the whole class on his edges Twisted Evil His 2nd class I must be an amazing instructor Twisted Evil

Seriouly though he was actually railing, form edge to edge! It was brilliant.

Did you check his skis? My son's new (rented) skis had bases that were so concave it took me the best part of 2 hours to scrape them more or less flat across 2/3 of their length. If he had gone skiing on those, he could not have done anything other than rail. Shocked
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Red Leon wrote:
coddlesangers wrote:
Red Leon wrote:
coddlesangers wrote:
Thankfully my first time on skiis was at the top lift in sass fee in november (mittlealallin?), so it was a nice easy slope to get down without being able to turn. I used the "ski into the wall of snow" approach for the first 100 yards, then some simple carved turns and i was back down the bottom

Yep, it's that simple rolling eyes Shocked

Ok, you missed the rest of the post "Easy peasy, don't know what all the fuss is about *nb, there is a full post coming shortly describing the full horror of my first ever ski, need to get it down on paper before my mind fully heals*"

When you have to point out that something was a joke, it loses any potential humour it may have had. I'll stick to the day job.

My bad. I took it at face value and assumed you were serious.

NP - that particular piste is now a lovely piste for me to ski, but for me at the time it was like dropping down the north face of the Eiger.... Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fattes13,

I've got one of those in a class at the moment. Didn't get the plough, week three and he's railing, right posture, parallel shins and everything. If he can introduce a skid, he should be okay, as it is he's limited to the turn radius of his skis, which is admittedly about 5m. I'm just trying not to make him do anything that mucks it up.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, perhaps time to insert your youtube video shown in Tignes ???
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thecramps wrote:
Message to self, don't post trolls when drunk

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thirty06, Its a tough one as if he skis like that in resort imminent impact will not be far away Wink He is a good kid but as an instructor sometimes you have to just try and pull him back a little for the long term good. Trying to strike a balance right now is leadign to some very creative teaching

oldmancoyote, Brand new rentals that the club has only put out this season and probably have an hours use so nope, his Daddy is a French man and a skier, I guess he watches skiing on TV and has a picture in his head! He even has hockey stops down!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hobbiteater wrote:
useful down a narrow track - i mean one narrower that the length of your skis.

I was just going to post that. When skiing from the back of our apartment it is the easiest way to control the speed.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can think of a number of reasons (grateful for feedback from those better qualified):

(1) There's nothing wrong with snowploughing in 'real' skiing. As others have said, for narrow and/or crowded tracks, and also in tight spots off-piste, e.g. among trees, rocks, crevasses, etc. I don't know of any instructor or off-piste guide who would be ashamed of using a plough in those circumstances. So you should learn it sometime if you're serious about being a versatile skier.

(2) It's a pretty easily controlled and sensitive accelerator/brake pedal, which should give novices confidence in controlling speed.

(3) It allows turning without the need to get the centre of gravity outside the platform provided by the skis. So novices can get used to a little bit of speed and controlling their trajectory without demanding levels of commitment that many would find problematic until they have a little more confidence.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman, correct on all counts.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, thank you. Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm a plower and proud of it Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fattes13, "ours" were new too. In fact, they'll touch snow for the first time on Wednesday at the PSB. Or as much of them as two hours of scraping allows. wink

BTW - not implying anything on the skills of the 5 year old in question; I was just griping about the skis!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 28-11-13 18:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
foxtrotzulu,
Quote:

I'm a plower and proud of it

Perhaps you are even a 'Power Plower'!

Toofy Grin
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
I'm a plower and proud of it Very Happy

Are you a proud plower or a proud plougher? Which of these is correct?
latest report
emwmarine, that's what I was getting at too!! Laughing
snow report
We can always add value to a debate even when it gets technical. Very Happy
latest report
laundryman wrote:
I can think of a number of reasons (grateful for feedback from those better qualified):

(1) There's nothing wrong with snowploughing in 'real' skiing. As others have said, for narrow and/or crowded tracks, and also in tight spots off-piste, e.g. among trees, rocks, crevasses, etc. I don't know of any instructor or off-piste guide who would be ashamed of using a plough in those circumstances. So you should learn it sometime if you're serious about being a versatile skier.

(2) It's a pretty easily controlled and sensitive accelerator/brake pedal, which should give novices confidence in controlling speed.

(3) It allows turning without the need to get the centre of gravity outside the platform provided by the skis. So novices can get used to a little bit of speed and controlling their trajectory without demanding levels of commitment that many would find problematic until they have a little more confidence.
Sounds good to me. Of course, the other end of the spectrum is, "When it doubt, tuck it out...!" Laughing
snow report
thecramps wrote:
. Within two days I skied steep reds and on my third day a black....(blah blah twaddle deleted). I am not boasting in any way.

No, I haven't paid this clown to take the onus off of me Laughing

coddlesangers wrote:

That is some kick ass progression right there, I for one would like to subscribe to your newsletter. I also started late in life (39), but had nothing like that level of progression despite living 15km's from my local resort. Interestingly my first lesson was not from a professional, but from a work colleague who also didn't believe in teaching a snow plough. Thankfully my first time on skiis was at the top lift in sass fee in november (mittlealallin?), so it was a nice easy slope to get down without being able to turn. I used the ski into the wall of snow approach for the first 100 yards, then some simple carved turns and i was back down the bottom. Easy peasy, don't know what all the fuss is about *nb, there is a full post coming shortly describing the full horror of my first ever ski, need to get it down on paper before my mind fully heals*

This sounds like a good read ......So get on with it then.... wink

Re: The Plough/Plow
Not all beginners are equal!!........It is a safe and useful starting point on which to build awareness and skills. It contains the ingredients to be carried through into proficient skiing.
I skipped it too Laughing
latest report
ssh wrote:
"When it doubt, tuck it out...!" Laughing

Been there, done that (Mt Hood, c. 1983) - miraculously, don't bear the scars. wink
snow conditions
An apology. After several pints of Hen in the Golden Fleece celebrating a friends birthday, this post seemed like a laugh whilst I was nibbling my kebab. I did think it was obviously BS, but alas some seem to have taken it to heart. I am sorry. My ankle injury is genuine, but I do plough, but have had to tweek the method by facing 30 degrees to the right of my direction of travel. It took some practise to get right, but it is effective and means I can control my speed on narrow or crowded pistes and coulours, and happily for me it doesn't hurt.

Once again, I apologise to all those who took offence. Now I need some aspirin and a nice lie down. I am never drinking again! Sad
ski holidays
thecramps, good luck with the ankle, head, liver, etc!

I don't think anyone here minds being stirred up occasionally. snowHead
snow conditions
laundryman wrote:
thecramps, good luck with the ankle, head, liver, etc!

I don't think anyone here minds being stirred up occasionally. snowHead

I don't mind being stirred up, but not shaken.... Toofy Grin
snow report
Thankyou laudryman
snow conditions
thecramps, pure gold! Hope you feel better soon. Very Happy
snow report
thecramps, well at least you were big enough to own up Very Happy - I think we will probably forgive you, but the Hen is on you when you bump into a SH next time eh? wink
snow report
Full bore racing snowplough here
http://youtube.com/v/mgj_uW1fH3k&sns=em
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, Never seen that before, incredible run, must put that on my to do list.
ski holidays
Megamum, Yes I think the hen probably is on me, but as I said, I shall stick to orange juice as I'm never drinking again. The scary thing is that our plan had been to start at lunchtime and push on through to last orders. As it was by 8pm we were done, 3 sad forty somethings longing for a kebab and a comfy chair.
snow report
under a new name, Isn't that what downhill racing used to be? . . . love to do it
snow report
under a new name, thanks for posting this. It's less than an hour and a half from home for me - will try it later in the season!
ski holidays
under a new name, awesome! Simply awesome!
ski holidays
Amazing. The left ski went straight ALL the way! Shocked That's got to be one of the most beautiful places in the Alps.
latest report
Spyderman, oldmancoyote, ssh, I must note immediately that the skier isn't me, but a chum. Who has a significantly higher pain threshold and a much smaller sense of self preservation than I do. I was a few starts behind and a little slower.

In fairness, the "racing snowplough" is (most of the time anyway) [I think], a distortion artifact of the GoPro's lens.

Masque, they don't let you do it on a snowboard. - It's a softened version of downhill racing as of 1928 Twisted Evil

Pedantica, it is very pretty indeed, and we were totally blessed last year with amazing weather and conditions. The full course doesn't get run very often.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 29-11-13 9:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
under a new name, old pair of SuperG skis, or full on DH boards?
snow report
thecramps, all is forgiven, considering you had under a new name pull out this beauty. wink

rob@rar, I was wondering the same. Can't recognise the model, other than they are Salomon.
snow conditions
I used to teach the plow and the braking plow to stop when I was teaching more than one beginner.

It's essential in this instance to ensure the student knows how to stop independent of the instructor.

When I teach beginners now I only ever teach them one-on-one and I don't teach the plow.

I teach straight running and then parallel turning using the completion of the turn as the speed control movement.

It works for me and for my students.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Old SGs. 201cm IIRC. I have skied it on 210cm Rossi junior DH which were lovely and 218cm Sally DH which were vile and boring.
ski holidays
under a new name, respect. Those things don't have much interest in turning.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy