Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marry her... or do a season....?

Poster: A snowHead
Ditto primoz, -- Mrs Ski and I did the register office (less than £50) + small group of freinds and family.

Did not get married in the mountains because a) too expensive and b) would have interrupted skiing --- imagine trying to explain that both of you were late because of a powder day ?

But it does take two to agree.... Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmmm.. some inferences here.

I thought that the comment bout the wedding budget being the cost of a season was supposed to be for comparison, not a suggestion for alternative uses.

There might be ways of diverting part of the budget. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-24624639 would be a bad way.

The OP could try becoming famous and getting an advance from OK, Hello or the Angling Times for the rights to cover the wedding, possibly in the form of a ski trip.

Alternatively, if the wedding budget is properly accounted for, he could raise some extra money by selling off all of his unwanted clutter. Sure it might not seem like unwanted clutter, but there's marriage on the horizon and there will be little use for a library of Lad Mags, cabinet of beer drinking trophies, sports gear, party clothes, car tuning equipment, photography kit or pretty much anything that doesn't fit in a matchbox or is directly useful for work, D.I.Y or looking presentable. eBay the lot and stash the cash.

If the time away is an issue, simply sit down with the loved one and have an honest heart to heart:

He: Before we are made of one in the eyes of GOD for all eternity, I feel that you should know everything about me.

She: But surely my dear, we have been open with each other.

He: Would that it were so my love.

She: Whatever can you mean ?

He: I am determined to devote myself to you heart and soul my angel, but you must know that par of me will always belong to another.

She: But who ?

He: My Queen and hence my country, for I am a spy and work for MI7

She: That... that's amazing.

He: I know it's a surprise.

She: Yes, I thought MI7 was the propaganda and censorship branch of the security services which ceased operations shortly after the first world war.

He: Ah, errr, that's what they wanted people to believe. In reality it is now so secret that even the other security services scarcely know of its existence.

She: So, you have been doing this all along.

He: Yes, deep undercover. The fishing trip to Brecon...

She: Yes ?

He: Cover for surveillance of radicalised elements of Plaid Cymru. Archie's stag weekend in Prague was an operation against old guard communist elements.

She: So those videos of you on YouTube with those ladies ?

He: Mere subterfuge. I have to allay suspicion by acting like a typical tourist and soon I shall have to do so again.

She: Oh, dear what will it involve ?

He: I need to go to the alps to investigate a shadowy organisation made up of the great and powerful of British society, the SKGB!

She: Is that like the KGB ?

He: Yes, the Secret KGB. The Russians have practically taken over the French alps and have taken control of this dynamic and thrusting young club.

She: Extraordinary!

He: I know.

She: Yes, you'd think it would be called the CKGB since the russian for 'secret' is spelled 'CeKPeT'.

He: They would never be so obvious. Anyway, I'll be off to Soll for a week with Larry, Barry, Gary and Harry; for cover of course.

She: And MI7 pay for all of this ?

He: Eventually. For security reasons I need to make my own arrangements and they will reimburse me by means of a series of winning scratchcards bought from specially selected newsagents. Obviously it would arouse suspicion if they all won, so we shall have to be patient. It should all be straightened out by the time of the wedding.

She: Oh, that all sounds perfectly reasonable.

He: I knew you were the one for me!

Can't fail.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thirty06, gold
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We organised our wedding in April then I took my wife skiing for first time on our Honeymoon.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kevinrhead wrote:
We organised our wedding in April then I took my wife skiing for first time on our Honeymoon.

"you are the man!" At least I think that is what the youth say when someone really impresses them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If the question was

"Marry her... ...or amputate my own finger with some rusty pliers...?"

...then it would take some thinking about. As it is, I think you know the right course to take...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mac22, You have to go and visit your family in Meribel urgently. In the winter, for a week. YKWIM.
You haven't said whether your intended skis/boards. If not why not and is she keen to learn?
If she's not at all keen you need to have the conversation with her now, separate holidays? Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowyowl, he has said that she does ski and they're going to Whistler at some point.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Suggestions that you run away and get married on a ski slope in the Alps are equally dotty. It irritates me when couples decide to get married in the Dominican Republic, or wherever, leaving their friends and family to choose between spending loads of dosh that they might have preferred to spend differently (e.g. on a ski holiday or some new mountain bikes wink ) or miss the wedding. And those wretched stag and hen dos - often putting moral pressure on loyal but impecunious friends to shell out on a long weekend somewhere far away and have to put their own holiday plans on hold as a result.

Selfish. Twisted Evil

Weddings have got completely out of hand. Marriage (as pointed out more than once above) is what's important and it will be more likely to be successful if you share priorities for use of scarce resources.

The OP, unless he is just joshing, is unhappy at the cost of the upcoming wedding but his bride-to-be might be equally unimpressed at any suggestion that all that dosh should be spent on skiing.

Some work to be done there, perhaps? Little Angel
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mac22, hasn't posted a reply in nearly 24 hrs now. I'm worried she has found this thread and he now can't reach his keyboard from his shallow grave. Please check in with us so we know you are ok
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
It irritates me when couples decide to get married in the Dominican Republic

I know, me too. There are a whole host of much nicer Carribbean Islands they could choose. How very dare they choose where to get married to suit their own needs and desires. Mad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We did the Mauritius thing but then my wife is a Mauritian Brit so it ticked many boxes, half way between UK and NZ and allowed Mauritian family attend who would never have been about to travel to NZ or the UK.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't understand people spending wads of cash on a wedding.

Reminds me of that saying about marriage;
"Find somebody you hate and give them half a house."
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Juddernaut, . . . The whole one . . . . . . twice rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This thread is useless without photos...
snow conditions
From the fact you said 'I' did you already answer your question (Thorneyhill style)
snow report
I agree. She found this thread and now he can't reach his laptop because he's impaled on his own ski.... Or else she enticed hmi into his skiboots and then threw him in a lake...
snow conditions
I'm alive, I'm alive (just a busy day at work!)

Some more background info which is key:

1) Mrs Mac (to-be) skis also
2) It's her family in the Alps
3) She actually got me into skiing
4) I did the maths again (properly) and I only have enough savings for 8 weeks of catered-chalet-ness
5) All my skiing gear lives out in France so quick get away is possible
6) we've been together 8 years so I reckon compatibility is no issue !
7) I was going more for the "bit-of-craic" angle with this post, as opposed to the "there's-more-fish-in-the-sea" outlook

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
So, a self catering apartment for the season then ?
latest report
Quote:

I only have enough savings for 8 weeks of catered-chalet-ness

FFS, how much are you planning to spend on this wedding? Shocked

Besides, that sounds like a whole season of self catering to me. Can you imagine how bored you'd get with eating exactly the same food each week for two months? I've had enough of it after two weeks.
snow conditions
Quote:

ow very dare they choose where to get married to suit their own needs and desires

Absolutely no problem for me if they want to get married at the South Pole, provided they don't expect family and friends to join them. A SH recently lost her grandmother but had very happy last memories of her enjoying the toffee vodka at the wedding. I suppose some people don't care whether or not their grandparents can make it to the Dominican Republic. Mad

And, don't forget, the whole point of the OP was that the proposed wedding doesn't "suit their own needs and desires". wink Mine is that it should be a joint decision which will almost certainly need some compromises all round.
snow conditions
I'm getting married in Chamonix next summer (well, apart from the registry office at home, and the party for 200 when we get back). Perfect excuse for a few trips in winter (including the annual friends' week) to taste food and wines!
latest report
jirac18, emwmarine, great stuff Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Mac22 wrote:
I'm alive, I'm alive (just a busy day at work!)

Some more background info which is key:

1) Mrs Mac (to-be) skis also
2) It's her family in the Alps
3) She actually got me into skiing
4) I did the maths again (properly) and I only have enough savings for 8 weeks of catered-chalet-ness
5) All my skiing gear lives out in France so quick get away is possible
6) we've been together 8 years so I reckon compatibility is no issue !
7) I was going more for the "bit-of-craic" angle with this post, as opposed to the "there's-more-fish-in-the-sea" outlook

Toofy Grin

I just went from sympathetic to sociopath . . . in one post. Who's got the tar, I'll bring the feathers for the smug booger.
ski holidays
We went to Whistler for our honeymoon and joint choice. If she loves skiing as much as you might be a viable option?
snow report
mini_mo, I think that bit's sorted!
ski holidays
The equations
Married man + expensive wedding = no ski
Single Man + understanding non skiing girlie friend = 12 weeks skiing this year.
QED
ski holidays
^ What's she up to in those 12 weeks. Might be a clue as to why she's understanding wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pictures, we need pictures !! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
adithorp wrote:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
You should only be getting married once. There will be many ski trips....

...cancelled in years to come for reasons you don't understand. then you'll be posting another "Not skied for years, what have I missed" thread.

Ha ha love that, so true
latest report
All great weddings I've been to, including my own, were memorable for the wonderful time we had with friends and not for how much money and detail were put into it.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 30-11-13 10:38; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, +1. I cannot bear over-orchestrated weddings. And if they're very expensive, all I can think about is the better uses to which the money could have been put.
snow conditions
You should talk to each other and have the wedding you want and prioritising a ski trip over a wedding should not be the opening gambit if you want to actually marry your girlfriend. I (being the Mrs in the relationship) had a registry office wedding at my insistence with only 4 guests and we had a meal at a good restaurant afterwards. Have you actually spoken to your wife-to-be about what she wants so you can agree it together?
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Pedantica, maybe it's our age! It seems to be The Young who want elaborate weddings and spend weeks designing twee labels to put on the backs of chairs, etc etc etc. My daughter's wedding was fantastic (they were lucky to have a friend with a small farm in Sussex where we could have the party AND a camping field so nobody had to shell out money on expensive accommodation if they didn't want to).

Cost was about £50 a head which included a hog and lamb roast (specially for Him, She was veggie at the time though now recovering), plenty of delicious food, a caterer who did salads etc, provided crockery, cutlery and glasses and served everything, a barn decorated with flowers, a ceilidh band AND breakfast next morning for all those who'd stayed at the camping field, which included all the immediate family. Lots of people said, genuinely I think, that it was one of the best weddings they'd been to. One of the guests lost his wedding ring down the Portaloo but the farmer came to the rescue with one of those Long Gloves and it was recovered. Fortunately that happened before he got blind drunk.

If the farm hadn't been available we'd have done it at our Sailing Club, also a lovely location but numbers would have had to be slightly restricted and overnight accommodation trickier.

My own wedding cost very little because it was entirely DIY with a reception in the Village Hall.
snow conditions
pam w, careful, Frosty the Snowman is a lot younger than us! Shocked
latest report
Pedantica wrote:
pam w, careful, Frosty the Snowman is a lot younger than us! Shocked

His knees sure aint . . . Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Frosty the Snowman is a lot younger than us!

Embarassed yes, of course. Sorry old chap. It's just that he has such a mature and sensible outlook. wink
ski holidays
pam w, He's Yorkshire. Don't mistake mature and sensible for grumpy misanthrope wink
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Just make sure you get the snip before getting hitched, once children come along, the skiing really will stop

Laughing

So funny, this is the start of the slippiest slope you will have ever ventured on & no amount of technique can help you:

1. marriage/wedding - expense!
2. Mortgage/job - 9-5 grind in something that you will most likely grow to despise.
3. kids...........argh! the joy & then the pain as they grow!
4. kids driving lessons/cars/insurance then perhaps university, student loans - need I go on?

But don't be disheartened would suggest low key wedding in the UK then hit the Alps.

We have skied with our 3 kids {19, 17 & 14 now} for the last 14 years & at the most expensive time of year, yes thats right February half term when the tour operators seem to feel the necessity to shaft us Sad

However the positive side is that ski-ing is an awesome sport which can be enjoyed with your family no matter the skill level & I have to admit when you see your off-springs flying down the slopes considerably quicker & with far more style it all becomes worthwhile Very Happy no matter what the financial cost.

So if this is the one go for it, enjoy your wedding & the hill Skullie

Michael
latest report
wee wee poor wedding budgeting. We fitted in ski hen/ stag dos pre wedding and a boarding honeymoon (part II of trip). Sack off the £100s of flowers and £100s spent on a cake et voila- budget is there Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy