Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski trip ~5-12 Jan 2014 - looking for buddies / suggestions!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi- I'm looking to head to the slopes first week of Jan before starting a new job.
I am an intermediate skiier having only skii'd a couple of seasons after a late start in life (34y.o.) - but managed to get out 3 times for each of the last 2 seasons and going to try and do the same again in 2013/14 season wink
Thinking about getting some professional tuition either 1-on-1 or part of a small group for at least part of this trip to improve further...

My general routine is to get on the slopes relatively quickly after breakfast, ski the whole day with a light lunch and then hit the apres reasonably hard from the last lift well into the evening! Repeat again next day and so on!

Looking to stay somewhere close to a lift or a ski-in/ski-out but not far from night life in an area with a lot of runs - e.g. skiwelt, 3 valleys etc.
Totally flexible on budget and also open to holding out for a last minute deal, so that may mean sharing on a 2 person package.... so if there are any willing skibuddies who ideally live in London area up for the same and for sharing cost would be awesome!

Any suggestions on best place to go and find good tuition and a lively atmosphere also appreciated!
Matt
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dear Matt. Did you not see my post??!!!

We are looking for someone to replace a freind that cancelled at the last minute. Becuase of this, we're putting it out there on a budget price. Matthew, my step-dad, said that he was skiing a few years back and met someone on his trip who found something last minute because of a similar situation, and that we have posted something online.

Alpe d'Huez ist great. We've been there a few times before. Always tons of snow, very sunny, and you ski straight on to the lifts in the 1st week of January beacuse it's pretty empty. That's why we've always gone there in the 1st week of Jan.

The pistes are great and well groomed, we're going exactly the week and day you want to go, and everything you described about how your holiday should run suits us perfectly also. The chalet is only 50m from the lifts and in the centre of town. I won't be out as much or as often as you in the bars but will join you a few times definately. I personally think the diversity of difficulty should be enough for you, I will do 'la sarenne' at least once (the longest black run in Europe) but will mostly stick to the tricky blues and reds. Matt is a better and more adventurous skiier than I, and the advantage of joining us means there'll be other Chalet guests to hang out with. I'm looking forward to the social aspect of being in a chalet and having dinner with the same group of people each day.

Let me know your thoughts!

best wishes,

david.

here's my post on snowheads...

booked in August through Inghams.

5th - 12th Jan 2013, Alpe d'Huez, flying from Stanstead.

room 6 (Twin room) sharing with me in Chalet Pregentil. 2 minutes walk to the lifts. Room 5 is a double (My Stepdad and mother) and we have our own floor in the chalet with a small living room, balcony, our own bathroom in the chalet (with a tub).

All inclusive. Catered chalet, breakfast, light lunch and evening meal (including wine). So, no trudging to the expensive supermarket or washing up dishes, or climbing over people on a sofa bed in the night to get to the bathroom. There is a sauna, wifi, and the chalet is in the centre of town. Check it out for yourselves using the link below.

Also included, lift pass, intermediate standard skis poles and boots, all transfers etc.

We paid 920 pounds each and are looking for someone to come up with 550.

Do as much or as little as you want with the 3 of us and the other Chalet guests. I am an Actor/Dancer/Singer, 34, have been living the last 6 years in Berlin, and my Step father is a stage manager. He is an advanced skiier, I'm beginner/intermediate and my dear mum will probably only ski 2 or 3 days for a couple of hours. She didn't even book a lift pass because she'll just do the bunny slopes where you don't need a pass. I want to get up early and have a decent breakfast and get the most out of the day, but you will find me in the bars every now and then aswell. Matthew and Lesley will probably hang out in the chalet most nights and drink wine and chat with the other guests.

Here is a link to the Chalet and resort alpe d'Huez.

http://www.inghams.co.uk/ski-holidays/hotels/item344221/chalet-pregentil/

http://www.alpedhuez.com/en/winter
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi David - yes I did see the post but thanks for pointing it out just in case i hadn't Wink

In principal this looks great as the dates are spot on and an excellent priced package for what you are asking for - my only issue is that i skii'd Alpe D'Huez last year so would really like to try and do some different places. Nothing specific against Alpe D'Huez as the ski area is pretty good but thought the night life was a bit lacking on and off-piste but i know they are looking to improve that for the upcoming season.
Where do you live in UK out of interest?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Matt,

I've booked that week to go to Mayrhofen with Neilson. I have a couple of friends that have booked themselves a twin but still looking for ski buddies to expand the group. I'm from Notitngham rather than London and already booked so can' t share but we are similar in age (35), experience (4th Week) and outlook (there for ski and apres). Mayrhofen sounds good for apres. Let me know if you fancy hooking up.

Cheers,

Ed
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Matt, we're in East Finchley. Shame you've done Alpe d'Huez already Sad Let us know if you're still interested.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you fancy skiing the Dolomites (Sella Ronda, Colfosco) 4th - 11th Jan then I am looking for someone to share. I can offer a transfer from Munich or Innsbruck - I live in Germany and would drive down.

-R
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi rkms - that sounds like a really good option and from some googling I'm very tempted!

Innsbruck i guess is a lot closer to get there than Munich (depending where you live of course). Does the 5th-12th work for you at all or are you stuck on the 4th-11th - the flights seem better 5th-12th and would let me attend a family get-together that i'm going to get in trouble for if i miss it ! Wink. I could for example get a really early flight out on the 5th to be Innsbruck for 10am, so skiing by lunch maybe Wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Matt, unfortunately its the 4th to the 11th, mainly down to the hotel: that's the way they play it in the Sudtirol.
For what its worth, my journey takes me past Munich airport and darn close to Innsbruck.
Believe me, I sympathise with the family get-together thing and I wish I could be more flexible. Sorry.

Richard
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hey mattyh! Looks like we have about the same ski/apre-ski routine! I'm planning to do at least 3 weeks of skiing in January, preferably in Austria or perhaps Switzerland. I found a group to join for the 2nd week (Jan 11 - 18 ) but so far haven't found anything for the first week. I'm kind of an intermediate (about 4 - 5 full weeks of skiing), okay with most reds and can ski easy blacks on a good day. I'd be interested in taking a few improver lessons too. Unfortunately I am a girl so sharing accommodation will not be possible, but perhaps we can share the tuition. I am thinking to spend a couple of days in London to do some essential shopping before skiing, so most likely will be flying out from there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hey Cucumber & Mattyh !

Have you found a ski school or instructor for improver lessons? I have come across an Improver Clinic on the Ski Instructor Austria website:

http://www.siaaustria.com/programmes/item/improver-clinic/

I've called the uk number and have been potentially promised a room für mich allein. snowHead

Let me know your thoughts.

Brgds,

Snowblades

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 6-12-13 9:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mattyh,
Hi if you want to ski the skiwelt, join our solo group heading to Soll on the 11th Jan, myself and the starter of our group thread have the same idea about skiing all day and look forward to apres ski.
See here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=103089
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy