Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Knee injuries for women skiers - survey

Poster: A snowHead
Came across this survey today: seems worthwhile to post it. For lady skiers only!

"Hi

I’m a product designer doing a research project on knee injuries in skiing for women. I have found that women are 2-3 times more likely to injury their knees than men. If you could complete my questionnaire, it would greatly help me in trying to reduce knee injuries in skiing.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1mCbAnJBz9hC2QlOOMhr4wFTszrkZVtXWP2PBqQCSceo/formResponse

Cheers

Aaron Oxenham"
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mr brain cheat, where did you come across it? who is Aaron Oxenham? What is he doign with the data? (content is blocked at work so can't look)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought of you holidayloverxx whilst completing the survey. There was no mention of the inherent dangers of storage heaters… snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hah Hah - ask a professional about the concept of "protection" re knees and the number of "braces" that are little more than warming sleeves. Can o' worms. Plus I'm not sure I believe the 2-3 times stats
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If they stopped planting their knees in our gentlemen's veg every time we make a minor faux pas there might not be as many injuries snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia, Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski mojo isn't knee protection...is it?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx, I suppose it is, in that it reduces the pounding taken by the joint and the work the muscles have to do - in the same way as losing 3 stone would. I don't see it as something which reduces the risk of trauma, more as something which reduces the kind of longer term wear and tear and inflammation. And it reduces fatigue. My OH didn't wear one because of his knees - which were fine. But because skiing could be exhausting for him, because of his heart condition. But I really don't know. Maybe it does reduce the risk of trauma (though I'm not sure how).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The daft thing is that I haven't injured my knee skiing yet, but I have injured my ankle which everyone says shouldn't be possible rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx wrote:
mr brain cheat, where did you come across it? who is Aaron Oxenham? What is he doign with the data? (content is blocked at work so can't look)

There's a website http://www.aaronoxenham.com/ - so from that info I think he must be a UK designer or design student. Neat design for a long handled toe-mail clipper Very Happy I don't know any more than that - sorry!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, well I did my ankle and can verify that it certainly is possible! Lots of funny looks from skiers who said that my boots must have been too loose rolling eyes Laughing I fell forward after a naff turn, probably because I had pain in my other foot big toe (from a hiking injury Toofy Grin ) and ripped ligaments and avulsion fracture on the front of ankle.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I didn't realise this was likley to be such a problem:

Quote:
Young female athletes tear their ACLs, the stabilizing ligament in the knee, at rates as high as eight times greater than their male counterparts.

Appears it may be one for sports in general, not just skiing/body part specific.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marmotte16, That sounds identical to my injury and method of obtaining it - I also got told the same thing - boots too loose. I did it several years ago and the injury still twinges - I don't know what an avulsion fracture is, but I will look it up though I did get an xray once back in the UK and they didn't spot a fracture at the time. The twinges I still get are horrid though - like someone stabbing the front of my foot around the ankle and across the top tendons.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, the avulsion fracture was very small (bit of bone shaved off if you like from the ligaments over it). Locum GP here didn't spot it but I already knew it was there from French doctor. That bit healed very nicely with rest and strapping. Having physio (ultrasound, acupuncture and more typical physioterrorism too) again at the moment but I think much of the stiffness and trouble I still have is due to a chronic Achilles tendonitis which sadly is the same foot (or maybe that's a good thing). First two to three days of a ski trip are.....painful.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marmotte16, Ouch, I hope it gets better, I did in about a year of plantar fasciitis following (though I don't think related to) my injury. I've been right-ish for only about the last 8 months so I know how long these things go on for and how soddin' painful they can be. Fingers crossed it heals up at some point for you - my heels did and I did lose faith that they ever would at one point.
ski holidays
Hello everyone

I am sorry this is a bit late, but thank you for filling out my questionnaire, it helped me a lot for my University project, where I have now graduated with a 1st Very Happy

The initial start was reducing knee injuries, I found from research and the questionnaire I put on here at the start that most people only buy knee protection after a knee injury and not as a preventative. I decided to design a product that helps skiers improve their technique, to minimise the chances of falling over as beginners are one group that is most at risk.

I'd really appreciate it if you could provide feedback, about what you think of the product, by clicking on the link below.

I have started a new forum post here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2559939#2559939

Thank you again!

Aaron
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy