Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arabba Hotels

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any recommendations for Arabba Hotels - Half Board, cheap to mid price (ie 60 - 80 Euros/person /night- Mid March.)

I have been to the area before but due to unusual requirements of splitting our stay did not get a proper pick of what was available.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hotel Portavescovo that we use for the Birthday Bash in Feb is very nice. Everyone seemed top love it and the food was great.
Although it might, just be outside your range.
In the last week of March it's 79€pppn although the rest of March it's 89€pppn.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hotel Portavescovo is well located for the lifts which is not the case for all Arabba hotels
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If the Portavescovo is too dear, how about the Garni Bellavista at 64€pppn. It's not as convenient and you eat evening meals at the Portavescovo and can also use their facilities. Ski storage is at the portavescovo too, so don't have to lug it all back up the hill to the Bellavista.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've stayed in the Malita and Mesdi and would recommend both. However I think they are nearer €90 but I still think excellent value
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks.

Is Genziana any good?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I stayed there for one night when I went out on a recon trip.
It was perfectly pleasant. The food was fine, although not in the same league as the Portavescovo IMHO.

It's only very slightly less convenient. It's actually very very close to the PV but, as there's a stream between them, you need to walk 100m extra to the snow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks. Difficult, is it worth half as much again - I'll have to consult the people on the trip. Or Albergo Pordoi is another cheaper one.
I previously stayed in Cesa Padon which was far out of town but extremely good and very cheap because of its position (however, with the guide's van it didn't matter so much.)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Half as much again eh? Well the answer is clearly 'yes or no' depending on values Wink
As I say, the food is better. There is a small pool, sauna, steam room. Two bars: one 'pubby' and lively, the other very much the relaxed hotel lobby type bar. As you know Arabba sits directly on the Sella Ronda circuit: in the clockwise direction, the Portavescovo is virtually ski-in. These things may be of little or no value to your group in which case 'no' it's obviously not worth it.

Half our group was perfectly happy at the Garni Belavista which is 5 minutes amble uphill from the village. Not so plush as the Portavescovo, they still ate dinner at and had access to the facilities of the PV. The other half of the group snapped up all the beds in the PV within 24hrs of release! Shocked

How big is your group? PM me the details if you like. I need to speak to the PV anyway, about the S8BB, this week so if there are a fair few of you, I could test the water, see if they might knock a few Euros off per night.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks - not sure: I'll PM you.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Want to revive this thread a bit in the hopes of attracting the Selva / Arabba accommdation guru's.

Looking to book something for a group of families in either place. Qua skiing, Arraba suits us better, though there could be a couple of fairly new to skiing joining the group. As per my usual, looking to make it as affordable as possible whilst being doorstep skiing, or virtual doorstep skiing.

Anything come to mind? I saw some smaller type Garni's in Selva where they state you can also use the kitchen. To spare myself some possible cultural embarrassment, could one of you kind folks possibly help interpret what that means? Does it mean, that should we occupy all rooms in said Garni, and it states we can use the kitchen as well, does that mean we could self cater an evening meal? I don't mind asking, but given this would be a first impression, I wouldn't want to come over too cheeky...

Didn't see any such thing in Arraba, though perhaps I need to search further.

Also, does anyone know about the Refugio Capanna Bill, seems to be 360 EUR for a mid term week per person, half board...

Or then, perhaps just Portavescovo and ask for a group rate, if they would consider that for the last week of Feb.

Not in the mood to go back to France, protesting in my own little quiet way by marching off somewhere else with my quiver... I reckon too many Dutchies and homeboy's will be in Austria, can't find reasonable accommodation in the places I like in Swizterland (Jungfrau)...and I've skied the Dolomites for 20 years, reckon it's time to go back. Looking forward to the circuit.

Hope the skiing would not be too difficult if beginners came along, on the other hand, can't please everyone.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
Want to revive this thread a bit in the hopes of attracting the Selva / Arabba accommdation guru's.

Looking to book something for a group of families in either place. Qua skiing, Arraba suits us better, though there could be a couple of fairly new to skiing joining the group.

In which case I'd personally look for somewhere other than arrabba, e.g. colfosco as it's much more 'newbie friendly' - on the portavecovo side, the first pitch down from either the cable-car or the bubble, is a key part of the sella ronda, as as such get's lumpy and busy and can be very off-putting for a nervous newbie. This section is avoidable by taking the double chair and then the new chair, but when I was skiing there in March the double chair wasn't running.

similarly coming back round the other way both the reds down towards plan boe have their 'lively sections' - indeed the red down from the top of boe bubble to canpolongo can be tough late in the days when it gets chopped up..
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bertie bassett,

I guess I"m not necessarily bent on catering to the newbies, for myself in the first place, and those that can and will follow suit. Having said that, with all things being equal, newbie comforts would trump the decision.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The beginner area in Arraba looked like a reasonable proposition for learning. The opportunities to progress and travel (ski) further are, IMHO, very challenging unless one is quite confident.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just wondering if anyone has stayed at the Tyrolia hotel in Malga Ciapela? It has a nice price, with amenities.

My concern is the uploading off of consecutive tow ropes, apparently they take with a car up to the second rope, if you wanted to go that way.

Upside being you could be first up on the Marmolada, which is likely amusing for one or two days... or am I wrong about that? Is it so awesome you could do it everyday?

If anyone knows anything~
ski holidays
HeidiAmsterdam, stayed in the Hotel Evaldo in Arabba in January. Absolutely excellent IMV, especially the food. Ski buddies who've stayed there quite independently rate it highly too.
snow report
HeidiAmsterdam, no idea about the Tyrolia but as you say the location is perfect for getting to Marmolada. I wouldn't want to go up every day for a week but the advantage would be to get up there first on the day(s) when the weather is clear, and probably have time for a quick descent and to the cable car again before the crowds arrive.

There's a bus from Malga Ciapella to the Civetta area, which would be worth a day. You may find it a bit tiresome doing the drags/etc to link over to Arabba and Sella Ronda too often, but if you have a car you could drive to whichever area you wanted easily enough.
latest report
Thanks laundryman, and 1gunsalute,

The point being, during peak season, Hotel Tyrolia is 440 EUR full board, with wellness, indoor swimming pool, some disco and cozy lounge... trip advisor reviews are stellar, seems to be a cracking price, with the only drawback being that whilst on the slopes (the two tow ropes), those actually aren't slopes we'd enjoy skiing, so rather worthless, but being at the bottom of the Marmolada, IS interesting... and if we hit some nice weather, it will be epic! And we CAN get over to the Sella Ronda easily with skis albeit tiresome.

So, good price for great accommodation (not fussed about apres-ski, a nice quiet one by the fire suits me best) with access to the Sella Ronda, and being first up on Marmolada on a bluebird day. And if I get tired of the tow ropes, I get in the car and go to Civetta... of course the idea being, not to get into the car to ski, but a day or two of that won't be a train crash.

I think if I stayed in Arabba, it would be the Hotel Portavescovo or Hotel Mesdi, less dear than Hotel Evaldo. Perfect would be Hotel Tyrolia, with the same price in the location of the Hotel Mesdi snowHead

Couple of questions: How long to hook up with the Sella Ronda from the bottom of Malga Ciapela, and from the Marmolada, do you hook up at the chair, or the second tow rope? And apart Malga Ciapela itself, I'll be doing the tow ropes to get to the interesting skiing (apart from the Marmolada). And I've seen people ski with guides on the Marmolada, what's that? Why do people do that? It's perfectly safe without a guide, right?

Do I have this analysis about right?

Edited to add: Budget is a driving factor for us this year... world wide economic recession hasn't been kind to us, I'm quite pleased to get the ski holidays in that I do.
latest report
HeidiAmsterdam, If you were to stay at Malga Ciapella then as has been said you can go by bus to ski the Civetta area (well actually the bus goes to the lakeside town of Alleghe from where you get the lifts up to the Civetta ski area) and if you then ski down to the far side at Pescul there is another bus which takes you to Fedare to join the Cinque Torri ski area (well worth a visit, and all part of the WW1 tour ski circuit).
latest report
Alastair Pink,

How long are those bus rides? And then can you ski back, or bus it back all over again? Would love to do the WW1 Circuit... that would fit perfectly into my plan for my kids' education... that's how I justify to father and husband this little trips to Rome and what-not....dear, it's a learning vacation... we're teaching them learning is fun. Now, if I can manage that on ski's, I'm happy as clam in water!
ski holidays
HeidiAmsterdam, just stumbled upon this thread, how is the snow record in April for this area? Hotel sounds like good value!
ski holidays
Yeah... it seems the Dutch Amsterdam Ski Club (hadn't realized until today that it even existed!) has been having an annual trip there since 2005...

It shows up on the same piste map as Arabba - - therefore we are on the appropriate thread.

Base, where the hotel is seems to be 1466 meters, which is decent enough, not sure on the aspect though

Are you going to join us at half term kitenski?
ski holidays
HeidiAmsterdam, nope, too busy and expensive at half term hence the April question.
latest report
kitenski,

I would have thought much like anywhere else in the Dolomites, first part of April should be good, unless it's a crap snow year, but then it's crap everywhere... Elevation is right though.
snow conditions
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:

And I've seen people ski with guides on the Marmolada, what's that? Why do people do that? It's perfectly safe without a guide, right?

We were doing just that in Feb.
From the top of the Marmolada there is just one red piste to the bottom - the word most commonly used to describe it is "relentless" as it just keeps on, unabated for a vertical drop of about 1400m.

What we used the guides for, was to ski other routes down - 1400vm of completely untracked powder over and over and over... relentless joy snowHead
snow report
OK admin,

You've been in Arabba multiple times... What would be the BIG drawback to staying Malga Ciapela, knowing the plus is that nearly half the price of Arabba with the same services...

I save loads of money, that's obvious, but what am I giving up?
snow conditions
Arabba is on the Sella Ronda circuit.
This means you take off in the morning, on the 'usual route' in one direction or the other for a few lifts and then branch off into your 'adventure for the day'. Marmolada, Cinque Torre/Hidden Valley, La Villa/Santa Croce, Selva/Ortisei, Canazei/Alba etc. These are all within reach as day trips for a mixed ability group based out of Arabba - far fewer would be doable from Malga Ciapela for any but the most adept in the group.
I've come to realise that this is one of the elements that seems to keep building the Birthday Bash's popularity: U can spend a whole week doing a different 'favourite' mission each day and still, on the way home, be thinking, "Bah, we never went there this time... oh well: next year!" snowHead
latest report
Got it.

Thanks admin.

So, I search out some routes out of Malga Ciaplea to see if I think we will like it. And we are adept skiers, mostly blacks, reds we ski fast, and the odd itinerary, no off piste with avi equipment, so our range is on the wider side of things.

I already know that 2014 will still be tight financially, and saving that money is important, without sacrificing pleasure, and then hope for 2015 we can stay in the Hotel Portavescovo and be like you say. Or perhaps Jungfrau in 2015, but for 2014, a trick to find that sweet spot that ticks all the boxes.

Were money less of an issue, it would be Arabba Village all the way.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A mid-way option that might be worth considering is the Garni Belavista which is very much cheaper than the Portavescovo. Owned by the same family, it's [literally] 5 mins walk away, but you get to stash your skis in the PV ski room and use its facilities so no trudging around in ski boots.
We use it for the Birthday Bash and it's very popular as a lower cost alternative, giving the same convenient access to the full Sella Ronda area.
snow report
admin,

Yep, that is 85 EUR per person for the week more than, the MC option, then multiplied by 4 people, 340 euro...

something to consider..
ski holidays
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
Alastair Pink,

How long are those bus rides? And then can you ski back, or bus it back all over again?

I've only done the bus ride from Malga Ciapela to Alleghe - that was 15 -20 mins and is free with the Dolomiti skipass. I skied down to Pescul to see where the bus to Fedare (Cinque Torri) went from but didn't take it, that one is not free but costs a few Euros and judging from the distance on the map should also take about 20 mins. To return from Cinque Torri to Malga Ciapella you could either just go back retracing your tracks and using the same 2 busses, or if you set off early and have enough time from Cinque Torri you can then ski to Passo Falzarego, take the cable car up to Lagazoi, do the Hidden Valley and then return on skis via Armentarola, Piz Sorega, Pralongia and Arabba back to Malga Ciapela - that is the entire WW1 circuit in the anti-clockwise direction - the skimap for which has the following statistics:
Total length of circuit: 84.5-99km
Total length of pistes: 34.5-43km
Total length of lifts: 20-26km
Length of horsedrawn tow (Hidden Valley) 1.5km
Total length of skibus links: 28.5km

Hope this helps. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Thank Alastair Pink that sounds awesome!

Then return to the hotel, and promptly place myself in the sauna Smile
snow report
I have only skied the Marmolada once (from Arabba) - I would say getting to the 'ronda' from Malga is a 'pain' (i.e. several lifts needed..)

As an alternative have you looked at Canazei : It is just off the 'Ronda' meaning cheaper Hotel prices than Selva/Arabba ; downside = One lift up to the skiing ; only beginners drag in village ; one piste back to village, but it leaves you on the edge of village
ski holidays
thanks albob.

I'll scope that out. I'm getting myself geared scoping out different routes from Malga. Apparently, the hotel owner will take you to the second tow rope, leaving one tow rope, and one chair before you're skiing...which isn't a train crash.

Alternatively, we can ski the Marmolada in the morning, and when the crowds come head to the Sella Ronda. We can also use the ski bus and do the WWI itinerary outlines by Alastair Pink.

It's hard to be Goldilocks when budget is such a driving factor! But I know a lot folks can't afford a ski holiday, much less 2 or 3, so I'm fortunate, but I have to be thrifty with how we spend the ski budget.

*googling Canazei now*
ski holidays
HeidiAmsterdam, It's worth knowing that as Canazei has an 'unusual' layout for skiers (i.e. you can't ski between the end of the piste and the lift as there's a town in the way), the electric road train comes round every 10 min and will take you between the piste and the lift, and also your hotel if it's on the route. It's free, and driven by a very enthusiastic Italian!
snow report
HeidiAmsterdam, For more info on the WW1 ski circuit, see this site (which also has a link to a pdf skimap of the circuit). Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Scarlet, That is worth knowing... I don't know that is trumps being at the bottom of the second tow rope in Malga Ciapela though...and being driven to the second rope by the owner. I mean that as a authentic inquiry...

Being at the base of the Marmolada in Malga Ciapela, is definitely a compensating factor, as that is skiing we will really enjoy. Being able to get up there before the crowds, is a nice little 'plus' against the long haul back over to Arabba.

Which by the way, does anyone know how long that takes from the second tow rope? And from the Marmolada, can you ski back to the chair, or do you have to go down to the second rope? Piste maps can be so deceptive Twisted Evil
snow conditions
half hour or so to Arabba? not timed it. edit: may be a bit more - chair takes quite a while.

after Marmolada descent, you can go straight to the chair. There is a sign at the top of the drag lift which says Arabba. Everyone ignores it, and goes the wrong way, and has to take that drag when they realise half way along it that they messed up.
latest report
Alastair Pink,

So, is the WWI tour better down clockwise or anti-clockwise? like less buses vs. more skiing?
snow report
andy,

sorry to be daft, but to get back to Malga Ciapela? that is likely more my issues, at the end of the day, my legs are tired, and not up to a double black bump field...

I'll have to make sure I've had all my coffee then, lest I be too grumpy! Just trying to figure out to be in this hotel in Malga and make it work
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy