Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs for the day

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Considering a day trip to Les Arcs during Feb Half Term - by car coming in from Moutiers direction.

Where's the best point to park car and access lifts? Funiculaire @ BSM?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@landbeach, Yes! Car Park right next to the Funiculaire and nice little cafe too.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agreed. It's a 10 - 12 km drive uphill if you decide to take the car up (20km if you want to start in 1950/2000) which takes far longer than the 7 min funicular; you pay for parking up the top just as you do at the bottom; the funi is included in your lift pass price; it runs way later than the lifts so there's no issue about being caught out; the shuttle buses between the different villages have a co-ordinated timetable with the funicular, so even if you end up in the 'wrong' vilalge - ie any other than 1600 - you know you can get back.

Snow-brainer.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@landbeach, certainly park at the funicular. Why drive all the way upto 1600 and really struggle to find somewhere to park? May I suggest getting to the car park very early because the car park will fill up very quickly.

Alternatively just get the train from Moutiers
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have you considered parking at Champagnay which is joined into La Plagne and getting to Les arc that way? It's on the back side of La Plagne. You would have to use the Vanoise express. Just an idea.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If access works for you ok to get where you prefer, then Villaroger offers perhaps the calmest entry point with ease of parking adjacent to lift.

A good ski down at days end, just get to route above 2000 to ensure you can make it. Or plan route around LA during the day to end up at Aguille Rouge peak, then run the ridge all the way down to Villaroger to finish.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kind of related. Is the run down to Villaroger usually open late in the season? Early April?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@landbeach, any particular reason for going to Les Arcs and not La Plagne or Courcheval?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sbooker wrote:
Kind of related. Is the run down to Villaroger usually open late in the season? Early April?

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/oct/14/villaroger-les-arcs-redevelop-green-ski-resort-france-french-alps
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne,
Thanks. I will be sure to do that run at some stage in the next year or two.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You'll get to use the new funicular as well - opening Dec 19
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all.
So yes the funicular definitely seems the most logical place to go from. Have skied a couple of times based in 1800 and was aware parking can be a pain and pricey up in the high villages.

Layne - reason for Les Arcs is that I’ll have been in 3 valleys the week before - and have done La Plagne a lot - and prefer the slopes over at Les Arcs. Will have my lad with me and he hasn’t skied there so thought a day trip would be good to introduce it to him.

Ski 3 - I’ve skied down to Villaroger before - isn’t it quite a long/slow ride up to 2000 from there?

Anyway - thanks folks!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Layne,

Courcheval? Puzzled

Is that anywhere near Maribal? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Ski 3 - I’ve skied down to Villaroger before - isn’t it quite a long/slow ride up to 2000 from there?

Yes - there are 2 very long very slow chair lifts required before you can drop into 2000, IMO it's not worth the trip down their other than to say you've been
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boris wrote:
Quote:

Yes - there are 2 very long very slow chair lifts required before you can drop into 2000, IMO it's not worth the trip down their other than to say you've been

I actually really like the skiing down there but granted the schlep back is a bit of a bind so I wouldn't be doing it every day until that is the new lifts are installed (from the article linked above Sat 14 Oct 2017 - within three years a faster, more efficient system of ski lifts will open)

With new snowmaking facilities and new lifts I can see it becoming much more popular. Would be good in bad weather to be down there also.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy