Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Instruction options - Bad Gastein/indoors/others ??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - was hoping I could get some thoughts on how best to approach getting some lessons/instruction this season.

For background: I've skied for the last two seasons only - around 3 weeks total. I think I'm a reasonably quick learner, but in that time I suppose you can't get that far. I probably get around more of the mountain than is justified by my skill level because I'm happy to give things a crack, but not always successfully. By the end of a week in L2A last year I felt reasonably confident getting down some of the blacks but not others - certainly not on the bumps - and generally fine on most reds. A couple of lessons had got me focused on carving turns properly and I could feel that starting to work on the easier runs, but as soon as it got steeper or icy I was fairly technique/style-less. Actually I think I'm probably pretty style-less all the time, so I'm hoping this season to work on improving technique.

This year I've got a week in Bad Gastein at Christmas and then a short trip with work to Cervinia in late Jan. Keen to improve as much as possible (and to show off massive improvement over my first ever day skiing on the last work trip two years ago...), but I don't think I'm prepared to spend the whole week in BG doing lessons - I'm there with the OH and friends and will want to spend more time with them rather than running off by myself.

So I was planning a day course at Hemel Hempstead through InsideOut sometime in Nov or Dec, but that's now not going to work because the OH has put the foot down on cancelling some other conflicting and long-standing plans.

So now I'm undecided on what to do - take a lesson or two in Bad Gastein? Try for HH in January? Try for alternative indoor lessons? Just watch a lot of youtube vids while I should be working and hope for the best... Actually I'll probably do that one anyway.

Anyway - would appreciate any thoughts on approaches/options/ski schools in Bad Gastein etc...

Thanks
JDF
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How about a mix - take some lessons at HH in Jan, and then have a 2hr private lesson in Bad Gastein on your first morning.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JDF, sounds like you've got some skills which will mean you won't need to spend all your time in lessons in Gastein.

I've been in similar situations in the past and I generally find private lessons on day 2 and 3 work well. I find a day on the slopes re remembering what I was taught helps the instructor see what level i'm at so they can take it form there.

If you need any advice about ski schools in Bad Gastein, let me know. I usually use www.schneesportgastein.com.

Cheers
Kersh
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Handy Turnip wrote:
How about a mix - take some lessons at HH in Jan, and then have a 2hr private lesson in Bad Gastein on your first morning.

Sounds like a good plan if you are local to Hemel.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok thanks. Am reasonably local to HH (London), so will probably look to mix up some local lessons and a bit of instructor time at BG.
Kersh - thanks for the reference on the ski school.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the information Man!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy