Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What have I missed? 15 yrs off skis

Poster: A snowHead
So it's 15 years since I last stepped on skis, for various reasons I got into snowboarding but over the last couple of years I've really been getting the urge to ski again and this season am taking the plunge. Can't wait! Very Happy

Looks like skis have got wider and shorter (last skis I owned were Salamon Super Force 9s in 196cm!) and clothing fashion has moved on (thankfully!) - what else have I missed?? A couple of people have told me that techniques have changed loads but surely the fundamentals are still the same?

Anyone remember what it was like skiing 15 years ago and can draw some comparisons? Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dashed, welcome to snowHeads!

On average skis have got wider, shorter and stiffer (especially torsionally). The new shape skis make learning to ski off piste a bit easier, and allows you to ski a different turn shape compared to the old skinnies (think GS turns rather than Powder 8s). On piste the more pronounced sidecut compared to skinny skis means you can more easily carve a turn on gentle terrain. But as you say, the fundamentals are the same.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You'll also find a lot more freestyle/park skiing going on, as skiers followed the moves pioneered by boarders. I'm told that modern ski technology has a lot to do with snowboarding technology and techniques...this seems to make sense - is it true?

I've only been skiing 10 years, so missed the skinny ski thing, as my first skis were carvers.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Due to the new shape of the skis, we now ski differently- no more feet stuck together or standing up straight
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fast lifts, especially 6-8 seat detachable chairs
chundolars
no drag lifts - see above

massive exchange rate realignment

handsfree skiipass and skiline etc

mobiles on the slopes

no onesies
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers guys - really looking forward to it. After an hour on a pair of Line Sick Days, I can certainly understand the GS versus powder 8s comparison. That makes sense now Madeye-Smiley

And I'm not that old that I used to stand bolt upright and have my feet locked together NehNeh
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lordy, this makes me realise I have now spent over half my skiing life on these 'newfangled' skis and still don't ski em properly.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hobbiteater wrote:

no onesies

Heh - not true. They've come back, if 3V in Feb last year was anything to go by. The more tasteless, the better!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar wrote:
Lordy, this makes me realise I have now spent over half my skiing life on these 'newfangled' skis and still don't ski em properly.

Yep. Me too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you've been slowboarding a lot then you've already picked up a lot of modern technique and natural expression without realising it unless you're a freak to reverts to stick up their backside as soon as you get on skis wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dashed, I missed 14 years myself (damn paying off student debts, then buying a house, sadly no snow fun involved) during which time skis and skiing changed dramatically. I've sort of relearned how to ski albeit with reduced health and fitness from my younger days. Still continuously trying to remind myself not to go old school, back seat, knees/ankles together, etc. However, it might be more fun than before, I'm sure I'm more obsessed now than I was then...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dare I mention the H-word..?

Nowadays 10-20% of skiers wear helmets.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Its a bit more difficult to ski tidily with feet together, but not impossible. Edge to edge is now slower (because of the huge width of modern skis) and this makes fall line skiing harder. The ability to ride draglifts has all but disappeared and you'll hear lots of mobile phone chatter. All the moguls have gone Shocked

Its not all bad news however......... Narrow pistes, lack of snow and rocks have all but disappeared replaced by terrain moving, snow making and comprehensive grooming. Todays very solid skis and boots will have you flying around at huge speeds in long arcs.

Needless to say everyone now wears a helmet snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All sounds more than acceptable! Always worn a helmet when boarding so no concerns there. Guess the slower edge to edge thing will take some getting used to, but like the idea of being better able to use the mountain and terrain in the way you can on a board (one of the reasons I swtiched to a board in the first place)... Roll on Christmas and the mountains Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not much has changed in 15 years for me, my new skis are 10 years old, my cloths 15, my boots 20 and I still ski with feet glued together although ever so slightly wider due to the wider skis. Will never wear a helmet either the only new things are all these rails and jumps oh and these grey hairs that keep popping up wink

I think with skiing like most things in my life Im well and truly stuck in the 90's
ski holidays
These carver skis allow loons to ski faster than they should for their technical ability, so watch out !
snow conditions
Quote:

old school, back seat

Puzzled Surely "back seat" was never right?
ski holidays
Sarge wrote:
These carver skis allow loons to ski faster than they should for their technical ability, so watch out !

Loons have always done that and always will - it's the nature of the breed
snow report
Dashed wrote:
Guess the slower edge to edge thing will take some getting used to

You can still have quick edge to edge if you stay with relatively narrow waist skis. The shape of the ski means they hook up easier and earlier. So in theory it should make up for the slightly wider tip and tail given similarly narrow waist. However,
Quote:
like the idea of being better able to use the mountain and terrain in the way you can on a board

In that case, you might want to go with somewhat wide planks for that after all! Laughing

So edge to edge quickness be damned (it'll still be quicker than a board Toofy Grin )
snow report
"still ski with feet glued together "

But surely your skis must knock off each other.... Puzzled

And isn't it a bit unstable?
snow report
2.0m straight skis are still being used. So you haven't missed much Toofy Grin
ski holidays
medlington, Your one peice must be pretty thread bare by now then eh? Twisted Evil
latest report
I think carving skis have revolutionised piste skiing for the average holiday skier - so much easier to get away with it. Trouble is, by day 3 the gung ho brigade are bombing down the blues - I'm sure it's become worse. I'm glad I don't have to go in peak weeks anymore.
ski holidays
Does all this mean that stem turns are out of fashion now? Puzzled
latest report
Stem turns are now a sort of building block to parallel skiing.
ski holidays
thepistepanther, they were 15 years ago as well! Very Happy
ski holidays
Blimey. I am surprised stem turns are still taught. They tend to give you bad defensive habits that are difficult to get out of.
snow report
They are taught to be a very smooth action and require proper pressure distribution, only made available with correct body position - that's the building block anyway when mastered the student moves on to parallel turning. But I do agree, people find it difficult to get out of the stem turn, and can spend weeks and even their whole lives doing these turns, we tested going straight to parallel from snowplough a couple years back, but the results although in some cases successful were heavily out weighed by failure.

People often revert back to stem turns in times of fear
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The only thing you have missed is 465 pages of posts in the SCGB chat forum thread that was clearly started before you gave up skijing.
snow report
Dashed, Don' t cray over spilled milk, just go on with it. And do as much as you can. snowHead
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:

But surely your skis must knock off each other.... Puzzled

Yeah they do abit so they are slightly apart but as close as the skis allow, its more a problem that the back tip on the twin tips catches, not really unstable.

Grizwald its held together by some fairly natty ducktape! It will be back in fashion soon
snow conditions
thepistepanther,

Have you taught me? Summed me up in one sentence

Quote:

People often revert back to stem turns in times of fear
latest report
Peterkct wrote:
Blimey. I am surprised stem turns are still taught. They tend to give you bad defensive habits that are difficult to get out of.

Stem turns are still an essential tool when you absolutely positively have to make that first turn stick in exposed terrain.
snow report
[quote]

But surely your skis must knock off each other....

Contrary to popular belief, no. Feet and knees together makes for a very stable platform, which i think is less likely to catch an edge in tight turns, you do need to learn not to cross your tips however. At very high speeds feet apart is more natural though.
latest report
How can you do a stem turn if your feet are glued together? Big Wink
snow report
Parallel skiers don't stem snowHead
latest report
You may be a little behind he times if 15 years ago you were riding feet together in a one-piece. I've ski books from the early 1980s which will tell you why feet-together is a bad idea. It did look ridiculous. I don't think the shift away from it was related to technology.

The last fart-bag photos I have are people from 1997/8, although I'm sure "traditionalists" would have gone on beyond then.

I believe that the shift of snowboard tech to skis started in about 1989, just after the shift in technology from skis to snowboards. That year I sat in a hot tub with some industry people, where a TWS editor chided Atomic and other industry types about why they were't using "snowboard style" sidecuts in skis. Soon they were, and within a year or two "fat boys" took over powder skiing.

Radical side-cuts (including inverted) plus reverse camber were yet to come. For powder skiers, reverse camber makes a lot more difference than it does for snowboarders (snowboarders are spread more fore-aft). It makes it easier for ski novices to ride powder, including with park" stances (upright, weight slightly back). They'll fall over a lot, but at least they can get down now, just like novice snowboarders, and basically for the same reasons.

Otherwise, recreational ski lengths are generally shorter, and you'll see twin tips and the return of ski ballet (albeit under a different name).

Overall I'd say that makes things more accessible - it's easier to learn to ride powder now you don't have to do it on P9s. So good riders are riding in conditions which would be unrideable before. It's all good.

--
As far as snowploughs and stems - I could never work out why they taught something so hard for most people to un-learn. It's like teaching you to write with the left hand and then forcing you to switch to the right. I didn't bother: I just copied good skiers and never looked back. Way easier than years of trying to unlearn the wrong technique.
latest report
philwig wrote:
As far as snowploughs and stems - I could never work out why they taught something so hard for most people to un-learn. It's like teaching you to write with the left hand and then forcing you to switch to the right. I didn't bother: I just copied good skiers and never looked back. Way easier than years of trying to unlearn the wrong technique.
Some comments on that topic in this thread.
latest report
Aren't stem turns essential for those moments when you're standing still and you've GOT to turn on a pinhead?
ski holidays
Probably best to have all techniques available in your bag, but no reason why you can't jump turn parallel or side slip parallel in almost all situations.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy