Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian resorts within 2 hours of Salzburg or Linz

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. We have been to Saalbach with Equity a couple of times and really enjoyed the Austrian skiing experience. We'd like to try to get a trip in before Christmas with the children but need to go midweek to fit in with school holidays. We can get flights to Salzburg or Linz. We would appreciate any recommendations for resorts which would suit intermediates within say a two hour drive and names of any good value half board or chalet accommodation.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any advice.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are loads of resorts that are within that distance of Salzburg.

Obviously it is difficult to assess how open each place will be at that time, as this has not been a typical pre-season build up (if there is such a thing).

Schladming, Obertauern, Kaprun would be places expecting to be open, others include the ski-welt (soll, etc), Kitzbuhel, Bad Gastein, Zell am See, Mayrhofen. Just over 2 hours (but less than 2.5 would include the resorts of Solden, Neustift, Hintertux (all high and pretty much guaranteed snow-sure).

The choices are huge and there is good intermediate skiing at all of those (he says without having been to them all).

Can't help on the accommodation side of things though.

Much has been said about Neustift being a familt resort on another thread.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
loatie, dare I suggest a flight to Friedrichshafen? That is what we are doing from the 17th December for a few days. From Friedrichshafen there are dozens of options via train/bus or hire car and the snow is already falling!! Big resorts like St Anton or Lech and smaller resorts in the Montafon etc are all reachable in just 2 hours.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Subject to snow I would recommend Bad Gastein which is just one hour by train from Salzburg. Driving - I do not know but why do you need a car as the train service is excellent and it goes right into the resort. It is an intermediate resort and two or three of the five areas are linked - the rest you need a bus or a car to get to but there are less than half an hour from the town. I would highly recommed the Hotel Wildbad - exceptional food and service but not pricey for a four star hotel. I am going there on 4th February. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Salzburg ski areas
http://www.bergfex.com/salzburg/

Austrian National Train service
http://www.oebb.at/vip8/oebb/en/index.jsp

Austrian Ski resort Reviews
http://www.skiresort.de/oesterreich/index.htm

Austria is seeing some good early snow now but there's no certainty that the weather won't get warm again before Christmas (it's happened before). Late accomodation booking during school holiday is probably too risky (when exactly are you planning to go?). Probably best to go for the more snow secure resorts (i.e. Kaprun, Obertauern).

PS If you are renting a car make sure winter tyres and snow chains are included.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree with hibernia, altho early snow can be shakey in the gastein valley. The highest area (Sportgastein) should be open for action at least.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
you can get flights into salzburg from stanstead (if thats any use) that land very early, meaning a half days skiing on the fist day.. also late flight 9pm.. on the way back so thats ideal for short trips.. Friedrichshafen its a bit later in and early back out flight wise meaning you lose over a day on the slopes.. as i said though thats just for stanstead.. and you have to use ryanair.. Crying or Very sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi,

How about The Hochkoenig's in Austria -Just 45 mins drive form the airport.

Look at www.hochkoenig.at

Good for intermediates. 150 km of slopes and 39 lifts. Not far from Saalach but a lot nearer to the airport.

At the moment we have 50cm of snow in the village and 100cm at the top of the lift. More is expected at the weekend. However I know the weather can change although there is so much snow here it would take a lot to melt it!! . Any where in December is risky but at the momnet it is looking good.

The lifts are opening this weekend.

As for accomodation we have 2 apartments in Muehlbach. Check out our web site for some recent pictures.

Nigel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lisach wrote:
loatie, dare I suggest a flight to Friedrichshafen? That is what we are doing from the 17th December for a few days. From Friedrichshafen there are dozens of options via train/bus or hire car and the snow is already falling!! Big resorts like St Anton or Lech and smaller resorts in the Montafon etc are all reachable in just 2 hours.

thanks very much, any idea how much the train costs to the montafon area ? This looks pretty good and as you say the flights to Friedrichshafen are still v . cheap
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy