Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Things that have started to click - with my skiing - not my knees!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum, when we can't be slidin', it's great to be thinkin' about slidin'!

Each of us has our own challenges, too. For instance, thanks to my physiology, I have no issue driving the fronts of my skis. In fact, I have to learn to get off the fronts, since my short feet mean that my boots tend to pitch me forward! rolling eyes This is certainly a less frequent challenge than the typical tendency to get in the back seat, but some of us have it, nonetheless.

I love that feeling of being pulled into and through the turn, don't you? It's almost as addictive as the sensations of blower pow (and, admittedly, more easily got!).

Enjoy! I'm looking forward to getting back on snow next week; my plan for yesterday didn't come to fruition, and with Thanksgiving and holiday prep this weekend, it's looking like mid next week before I'll have another opportunity...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum,

If you're a keen driver then you will appreciate the qualities of rear wheel drive wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ssh, it's not, imo, being pulled into the turn that gets me, it's being explosively powered out of it that lights my candle snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name, I hear that! I always have "snappy" skis that give me the kick in the behind out of the turn. That said, a ski with a nice, smooth flex that pulls me into the turn gets that whole process started and leads to that jet-propelled feeling coming out... all one big happy experience! snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ssh, yep, hard to find a bit one doesn't like... snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob wrote:

10 weeks is nothing, lots of people ski their whole lives without ever really "getting" skiing - at least from the numbers of people I see on the slopes fighting their equipment rather than using it elegantly.

Yes, I probably ski about 5-6 weeks a year, still working on the same problems I had 2 years ago, still working on the same problems I had 5 years ago NehNeh
The difference I hope is I now make those mistakes less often.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lynseyf, may I encourage you to consider a vocabulary change? Why not "play" with your skiing? Especially those areas that will give you the greatest benefit to improve?

It's curious to me that we often talk about "working" on our skiing, when skiing is all about play. I think of a guest with whom I frequently ski and how he used to curse himself profusely, especially as he attempted steeper moguls... after I helped him shift to "playing," he found a new joy even when it didn't go as planned--which it did more often than it had previously!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Smile ssh, I do enjoy my skiing, maybe "still thinking about" would be a better term rather than "working on" I don't really see anything wrong with working on though to be honest. I ski a lot and I enjoy most of my skiing but I could probably stay at this level for ever if I didn't put any effort into skiing so I do find I have to consciously think about things, not all the time but when I'm skiing an easy piste or having a quiet day on my own, or I don't think I would improve.

I would be pretty happy if working on my work was as enjoyable as working on my skiing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lynseyf, snowHead Laughing I get it. Just that for many "working on" something means to put in (negative) effort to get something "right." "Playing with" something gives one the freedom to explore, experiment, and discover while still seeking improvement. Again, it won't work for everyone, I'm sure, but I do feel that change in how we describe how we seek change can actually benefit many.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ssh, what kind of things did you do with your guest to encourage him to play in steeper moguls?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ssh, I keep kidding myself that I'm "playing with" moguls when in reality they're playing with me, much like a cat plays with a mouse.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, there is a series of concepts that we use in a 2-day clinic to help our guests improve their mogul skiing, including absorption (the classic "back-pedal" move), rotary with flattish skis ("buttering" the turn), and line choice (finding the "green spots" so that the effective slope is lower). I find that the "green spots" idea really resonates, and gives guests a "play" target.

adithorp, I'm sure you know that it is your own brain which is playing with you! Twisted Evil
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No they're evil. Individually they're easy to overcome but they gang up...

Ok, I get the back pedal and buttering; Explain the "green spots".
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
adithorp, I have a notion what the 'green spots' are. I've never been keen on red run bumps are the end of a busy day, let alone full blown moguls (which I haven't tried more than a a baby field of mini-proper ones yet), but above Flachau there is a very long and robust red stretch down at the end of the day. Particularly if we have had fresh snow the night before, at the end of a busy day it is doing a respectably forbidding looking set of mounds/lumps/moguls and it is a very long stretch of them. You can lift down, but I'm braver these days and think that's below me. To begin with I used the width of the piste and tried to pick a diagonal line trough them was doable. Then I discovered this extra control that I've developed on the skis and the ability to turn them more accurately rather than just somewhere on a wide decent bit of snow. What I then found is that each mound has sweet spots (green spots?) of snow, particularly on the downhill tail of them and I can get a turn in on that if I watch my way down carefully. I control my speed and aim for that sweet spot and bang in the turn and wonders will never cease - it works! I'm still not making a good job of them, but I do feel that I am consciously making an effort to ski them rather than finding a cop-out way down through them. I am pleased with the notion though Very Happy and I can now get down across a track 4-5 bumps wide rather than the entire slope 25+ bumps wide. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

think that's below me

I don't. I have no problem with a lift down at the end of the day if snow conditions are difficult; classic knee-destroying stuff, that.
snow report
Megamum, well done, you!

adithorp, if you "butter" on the "green spots," you'll find an amazing result, I think. If you look at a mogul, you will see there is a green spot (the top of the mogul where the snow is virtually flat without any slope), a blue spot (usually the sides of the bump in the troughs), a (red) black spot (the sides of the bumps not in the trough), and a double-black spot (the front or prow of the bump). Each of these areas of the bumps has a different slope. If you link the "green spots" through a mogul field, you will find that it's easy to maintain a comfortable speed, even in very steep bumps. If you lose track of turning ("buttering") these spots, you will likely experience speeds and control outside your preference.

Hope that helps!
latest report
ssh, can you find us a good video which illustrates that technique?
snow conditions
pam w, TBH, I have also taken the lift down (I think twice when I've been tired - it's a very log way down finishing with that pitch I described). However, I do like to ski it just to prove to myself that I can. The prize when I take the lift is watching the kids free ski down without us. Talk about proud mother. To watch that pair carve that piste up safely and with due regard to other skiers, stopping every now and again so they stay together and working out which way they will go is an education. Great big sweeping arcs as they scythe their way down. Talk about me cramping their style - it's worth the lift down a few times each week just to watch them.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
ssh, can you find us a good video which illustrates that technique?
Looks like this site has a lot on this: http://www.bumpsforboomers.com/video-learn-good-mogul-skiing-tactics-ski-green-line

See, for example, this intro:

http://youtube.com/v/WQU3uTueeF8

And this related demo:

http://youtube.com/v/eIj3qv4isQU
snow conditions
ssh wrote:

adithorp, if you "butter" on the "green spots," you'll find an amazing result, I think. If you look at a mogul, you will see there is a green spot (the top of the mogul where the snow is virtually flat without any slope), a blue spot (usually the sides of the bump in the troughs), a (red) black spot (the sides of the bumps not in the trough), and a double-black spot (the front or prow of the bump). Each of these areas of the bumps has a different slope. If you link the "green spots" through a mogul field, you will find that it's easy to maintain a comfortable speed, even in very steep bumps. If you lose track of turning ("buttering") these spots, you will likely experience speeds and control outside your preference.

Hope that helps!

Only in so much as it demonstrates that some times a description that works for one, can mean nothing to another. I know it's exactly how I've been taught to ski them but if I'd no idea before reading it, I'd be no wiser after. Likewise after watching the first video (without demo).
latest report
Megamum, A very good post there Smile I think you are right on a number counts, and regarding the fear issue, you have always known that because you were a bit scared of getting too fast and out of control you got overly defensive and tensed up on skis. Yet you rode horses with no problems. I only took riding lessons a couple of years ago, and I found that a lot more scary than skiing, especially on jumps. then again, I get scared by jumps on skis too Laughing

I saw you skiing last year and even then you had started to relax a lot more. OK, you probably won't ever outrun your kids, like 90% of parents find, they often just pick things up so quickly and without the hang ups that life accumulates in us.
Although I got into skiing fairly late in life I've really packed in the weeks since then, but still take lessons and then spend time practicing the drills. A good instructor that you click with is worth their weight in gold Cool
Hopefully I'll grab a days skiing with you again this year and see the results for myself.
ski holidays
ssh, thanks for that - useful. snowHead
latest report
Avalanche Poodle,
Quote:

Hopefully I'll grab a days skiing with you again this year and see the results for myself.

We are already looking forward to it, esp. the kids so I hope we can fit a day in. We are out next Feb. half-term as we were this year and are looking forward to seeing everyone. If the kids will benefit from the hire of a set of wider skis for the day then let me know so I've got time to sort something out. Thank you for the vote of confidence re: looking more relaxed on the skis, I hope I've been improving on that. I will have had the week in VT in April (which was lesson heavy) and several snow dome sessions during the year for some focussed practice since I last saw you so with of luck it shouldn't be any worse!! We all had a great time the day we skied with you and Kooky last year.
ski holidays
If it's the 15th to the 22nd Feb I'll be spending a week with a bunch of friends from the UK. Not sure of the location yet as we need a self catering chalet for 12. Looking like the Saalbach Hinterglemm area so far. So I can't promise anything, but if I'm close enough I'll pop across for half a day Smile
snow report
Avalanche Poodle, it is that week, we'll cross our fingers it will be great to ski with you again. If necessary we will have the car so could probably travel within our lift pass region if it might help.
snow conditions
Should be able to sort something, I have a car too Smile I'll be in the region, well the super one which is a little bit larger.
ski holidays
Seems a bit 'shouty' to make a separate thread, but I am booked for Chill Factor-e, Manchester tomorrow from 0930 - 1130 if anyone is about to say 'Hi' I sport a white helmet with SH stickers on.
latest report
Bump. I think this confidence drug that someone has slipped me is getting carried away.

At HH last night I actually found a little rise that had been created in the snow and deliberately skied over it and into the air before landing and skiing on - not just once, but several times. Yes, I actually left the ground Shocked and it was under my own direction Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, A Vid or it didn't happen wink
latest report
Megamum, Terrain unweighting, it just puts a big smile on your face. Once you know you can catch little bits of air and nothing bad happens you start relaxing... and then the skiing really flows Smile Once you feel confident start using the little rises to change your edges in the air, set it up and BANG!!!, you are going in a different direction with minimal effort.
ski holidays
Very Happy brava!!
Freestyle is on Thurs n Fri eves at HH. See ya there wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy