Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Essentials for very extended (9 weeks) stay

Poster: A snowHead
^^get a fixed rate on mine. €2/day within EU if you turn data on, no cost if it's turned off. Data allowance is more than enough for checking email and posting a few pics to picasaweb.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My mobile is with Tesco. I think I'll pop in and have a chat with them about the options.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eddiethebus wrote:
check your mobile phone provider for 3g costs, dongles are a bit (well, a lot!) outdated now Smile

Check that TEP product out!

Might be a dongle but it also acts like a wifi router so up to four users can use it - and as 90% of my work is internet based me and the Mrs needed a rock solid solution for when we were not skiing. Plus tax deductible!

I looked at as well as my brother who's lived in France for thirty years ALL possible solutions and TEP was the best when considering two sometimes four of us were using it downloading and uploading serious amounts of data!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Weathercam, Yes, I've just registered. 10% off already Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can also buy one of these for £notalot and then decided whether to use a foreign sim.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E5332-Unlocked-Mobile-Wi-Fi/dp/B00ABFTCMQ?tag=amz07b-21

Cheaper than renting in the long run
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
feef, that's what TEP use!

Just that they've managed to negotiate due to their "volume" really good data deals which you could not get on your own, especially for unlimited data, and without signing up for a local contract (12months), like I said, I did a lot or research on this!

And plus if you try pay as you go sim in France, it's a friggin nightmare and seems really costly where data is concerned, seemed like it sucked €10 in no time at all!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For all of you folk who spend a season/do long trips in France, what is a good international PAYG SIM? I am on giffgaff here in the UK, and their international deals are pretty poor. I don't really want to go to a contract phone, and need something that will work economically in France and Switzerland (my ski area straddles both countries). Any suggestions? My phone is dual SIM and unlocked, so it can take any network and the French SIM will simply sit next to the UK one.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam wrote:
feef, that's what TEP use!

Just that they've managed to negotiate due to their "volume" really good data deals which you could not get on your own, especially for unlimited data, and without signing up for a local contract (12months), like I said, I did a lot or research on this!

And plus if you try pay as you go sim in France, it's a friggin nightmare and seems really costly where data is concerned, seemed like it sucked €10 in no time at all!

I'd be more interested if they covered Canada. I can get unlimited data in Europe through my contract with Three. Admittedly it's £5 a day when I enable it, but it isn't every day I use it and that's not that much more than the Tep rental which works out at £4 a day.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Claude B, TEP looks rather pricey to me. www.bouyguestelecom.fr will provide monthly 6Gb (slower speed above that) for €14.90/month + €1 for a SIM, no contract. A TEP rental is around €4.50/day.

So buy feef's box (Bouygues want €109.90 for the same thing) and even if you need 4 months usage that works out at £45 for the box and €60.6 for the connections. TEP for 9 weeks looks to be something like €285.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
9 weeks alone in an apartment? I'd take an awful lot of Lemsip.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mistress Panda wrote:
9 weeks alone in an apartment? I'd take an awful lot of Lemsip.

..and kleenex NehNeh
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
feef, you'll probably want a bigger (he he he) internet "package" as well then Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, I bet once you start digging into it, you'll probably need a French address and or bank account and will probably be other small print - and a quick scan of the site (and I might be wrong) looks as if what you are quoting is not mobile WIFI as you'll need a landline etc as it's their equivalent of the Orange Live Box which is what I have now in our apartment.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Call me a wimp but i do find icy tracks intimidating on any kind of gradient, Weathercam
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Claude B, you are doing on2off? Are you one of the folk who were injured last year?
ski holidays
pam w, if I were to call you a wimp could that not be construed as being sexist ? Smile
snow conditions
Claude B, Kindle with lots of books that you've always promised yourself to read but never have . . . a multi-socket short extension cord with an EU/Kermit plug on the end, saves faffing around swapping conversion plugs and a 4outlet USB charger.

I set smart casual trews/jacket/shirt . . . you may want to go somewhere more upmarket than the local vomitorium.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:

. . . you may want to go somewhere more upmarket than the local vomitorium.

Steady on...
latest report
Weathercam, You may indeed need FR address and account. That's admin that OP would need to sort himself. La Banque Postale seems to allow EU people to open an account as long as they can prove where they live and it doesn't necessarily look as though that needs to be FR resident. Who knows, the French are funny about all that stuff.

However it's definitely a mobile wifi point http://www.laboutique.bouyguestelecom.fr/offres-mobiles/forfaits-bbox-nomad.html

Harry Flashman, for calls or data? Switch to a UK operator that has a decent international all inclusive deal...
snow report
As probably above - teabags, bacon, lots of OTC tablets that French pharmacies will require a mortgage to pay for, know how to navigate various proxies for iPlayer and other junk. Mainly if you're taking your car take as many pairs of skis as you can and spare boot liners if you have them etc to tide you over for problems that arise.
snow report
For mobile wifi I use joemobile.fr all season which is online only run by SFR. It is the nearest I can find to Giff Gaff. For 20 euros a month it gives 3GB data and unlimited calls in France and unlimited calls to landlines in 50 Countries including the UK. Works fine in a dongle/mifi. Extra GB within the same month is 6 Euros. It accepts UK bank cards Sim cards are only sent to French addresses, you can use your vacation address. However I have three unactivated sim cards to give away free under the recommend a friend scheme before I leave for France in a couple of weeks time. If you decide joemobile is for you then pm me with your UK address and I will send one out to enable you to activate in advance.
snow report
pam w, Yes I'm doing it, haven't done it before though.

As I was shopping in Tesco for lemsip and tissues wink another essential came to mind. Batteries seem to be about 4 times as expensive in France, I'll take a good stock of AA's for the tranceiver, etc.

A couple of years ago when I stayed there for a week in January I developed terrible manflu and the only tissues I could find in the supermarket was a gigantic pack of pocket tissues, something like 24 individual packs I think. I've only just finished them Happy
snow conditions
I would be surprised if their wasn't a friendly neighbour that would let you piggy back their wifi connection - when we were "saisonnaires" we had 5 months of wifi for the cost of a couple of bottles of wine just by asking nicely. The suggestions for DVD's and drugs are good as in Masque's 4 gang extension. I struggle to think of much else we took that I can honestly say worth the space it took up - we even got used to the intermarche teabags!

PS I am sick with envy! Have a great time
ski holidays
Annie, Thanks, that's a good idea. It's actually Charlotte's old apartment in Waala (new owners now) she may know some of the neighbours. Are you out there this winter?
ski holidays
under a new name, in fact it's the same bit of kit as what I was originally posting about what TEP do/use !

Pricing does seem very good, but like I said, bet there are a few catches, because you still need a sim mobile account.......

And trust me, opening a French bank account is not that easy and is full of hidden charges that make UK banks look positively charitable!
snow conditions
go light and arrange a resupply via andy at deliverytothealps.co.uk
ski holidays
Weathercam, from what I see, ones €14.90 is all one needs subscription wise - I guess it'll be enabled only for data.

The Post banks in Switzerland and France seem much easier than others. Way easier than when we opened our CA ones. TBH, B.T. only ask for a bank card valid in France and I don't seen a requirement to have a domestic French account.
snow report
lefrenchmobile are good for data and calls in france BTW..... expecially for data as you can buy a load and it doesnt expire every day or month like most operators Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I would be surprised if their wasn't a friendly neighbour that would let you piggy back their wifi connection - when we were "saisonnaires" we had 5 months of wifi for the cost of a couple of bottles of wine just by asking nicely

A good point. I have a WIFI connection which is already used by my Franco-Belgian friends in the next door apartment but one - the electricity is off if I'm away but they have a key and can switch on the relevant prises.. I have new French neighbours in between - next time I see them I'll ask if they want to do the same. Entente cordiale and all that.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy