Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Packing for ski holiday

Poster: A snowHead
Now we haven't started packing as don't go till end of December. However, just want to ask all you ski veterans what is the essential packing list for a ski holiday.

I think we have got the main things (goggles / helmet / thermals and ski gear etc), but is there anything which may not be as obvious which could be easily forgotten?

Also, what kind of gear to people wear of an evening?

Thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

what kind of gear to people wear of an evening?

very casual. A lot of ski accommodation is very warm. My son in law always wears board shorts, a T shirt and flip flops. Most people wear jeans and a light top of some kind. If you go out to a bar or restaurant you need a very warm coat and good walking shoes, but you need to be able to strip down once you get inside - some places are too hot to wear more than a T shirt or even a vest top. Slippers or similar for indoors.

Don't forget sun screen and basic medicines such as ibuprofen (lots of that) and paracetamol. Only available in pharmacies at huge cost in France (don't know about Austria). And if on a tight budget, take muesli bars, Mars, etc to save you buying expensive lunches.

Couple of good books in case you bust your ACL and end up spending 5 days sitting around. wink

Good insurance - and your EHIC cards.

Have fun. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
theone, As well as sunscreen, it's also a good idea to take some lip salve as lips can get dry and cracked without some on.
Also a continental plug adaptor (assuming you have some electrical equipment e.g mobile phone charger etc)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Pam..... We are off to Mayrhofen, Austria... so will hopefully be sampling some of the nightlife. So I am guessing just jeans, t-shirt and boots but with coat etc over it... easy to take off when in the bars?

Also... something else has just come to me from when I went with the family a long time back.... do we need ski binders / straps for when stopping at any mountain huts?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
theone wrote:
Also... something else has just come to me from when I went with the family a long time back.... do we need ski binders / straps for when stopping at any mountain huts?

When leaving skis on the racks outside mountain restaurants it's a good idea to split the skis i.e put one of your skis together with one of your other half's skis in one rack position, and the other split pair in a different rack position - this helps avoid other people taking your skis either inadvertently or deliberately. When carrying your skis on your shoulder e.g at the start or end of the day if the matching pair are placed base to base the integral brakes help keep the skis together somewhat but a Velcro strap does provide more integrity and is a good idea.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair Pink, Thank you. Do you just put all of this in any day rucksack or in pockets / clip onto ski suit?

Another qs... am I right in saying that most resorts are key card / fobs for the ski lifts which you don't need to take out of pocket or bag??
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Factor 50 lip screen if you're fair skinned! No need to bring an extra coat, ski jacket will usu be fine in the evenings. If your jacket has good pockets you can put it all in there, or else use a back pack with a chest/stomach strap Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
theone wrote:
Alastair Pink, Thank you. Do you just put all of this in any day rucksack or in pockets / clip onto ski suit?

Another qs... am I right in saying that most resorts are key card / fobs for the ski lifts which you don't need to take out of pocket or bag??

It depends how much stuff you have with you as to whether you think you'll need a small backpack or not. In previous years a small bumbag used to be popular for carrying small items, but I think they seem to be less popular these days (anyone care to comment?). One important safety point is that I've seen some people wearing a bumbag on their front rather than at the back - if there is any hard object such as a camera in the bumbag this is a bad idea as there have been cases of people falling with the bumbag on their front and the hard camera has been pushed hard underneath their ribcage and damaged internal organs! Skullie

Virtually all resorts these days have liftpasses which are read remotely as you pass through the lift entrance gates - most ski jackets have a pocket on the left arm to put your liftpass into and you just need to place it near to the reader (which is usually on the left hand side) Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hand cream - I find my hands get very dry wearing gloves all day.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
theone, do a search on here. there is a plethora of thread abut what to take, including references to the legendary laminated list. There's lots of good stuff if you poke around a bit
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Money. At least 2 of the following : Cash, pre-paid euro debit card, plus a debit or credit card which doesn't charge you an extra loading for foreign transactions. Tell your bank you will be in Austria (secure message online) or risk your card being refused.

As pam w said above; EHIC card - that will get you discounted treatment and your insurance company will expect you to use it. Make sure it's in date - they do expire.

We include Piriton or similar in our basic meds.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I think they seem to be less popular these days (anyone care to comment?).

The term "fanny pack" has put everyone off. Personally if it doesn't go in my pockets it do not take it with me.

theone, Even in late December do not forget the sun cream. I use factor 50 all the time.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Passport Smile

(Obviously obvious, but last winter my friend missed out on his skiing holiday because he didn't realise his passport had expired)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Don't forget sun screen and basic medicines such as ibuprofen (lots of that) and paracetamol. Only available in pharmacies at huge cost in France (don't know about Austria). And if on a tight budget, take muesli bars, Mars, etc to save you buying expensive lunches.

I bought a bottle of Calpol (substitute) during the summer in Mittenwald, and it was surprising cheap. It was only 2 or 3 Euro. I'm fairly sure Austria is the same.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have replaced my jeans for walking trousers, they are just as warm and a fraction of the weight.
A gillet/body warmer, light weight fleece tops and tee shirt, found them much better for layering and much much lighter (and warmer) than sweat tops and jumpers.
I always carry a probe, though I'm a piste skier, there was an avalanche a few trips ago and I couldn't help, felt bad about that. But it has come in really handy when skis get lost in fresh snow.
I also carry:
A small first aid kit, and flu/cold capsules/sachets.
2 emergency blankets (one for me and one for the cass) though only had to used them twice.
A small tin of Vaseline serves the lips and hands.
A radio that gets world service.
A wire cord and padlock to secure my skis.
I also carry a photocopy of my passport, rather get a bollocking than loosing it on the pissed, like a mate did, he had a nightmare getting a replacement and lost 2 ski days.
snow report
Here is my list... http://findtransfers.com/blog/?p=173 Smile
snow report
Also, I tend to stock up at Boots at the airport, their own brand sunscreen is pretty good and anything you get in duty-free doesn't count in your weight allowance which always tends to be a problem for me... Cool
ski holidays
In terms of apres ski for the ladies, I take black stretch cords worn inside my snow boots, and a couple of nice, really light tops as it is as said above, often very hot in bars etc. I have a knee length padded coat with hood to put over said top and trousers. I don`t use my ski jacket other than for skiing as my legs get very cold in anything other than padded salopettes. The rest of the family, all male, however are fine with the ski jackets!
ski holidays
theone, Take a UK 4-gang extension lead plus one UK-continental converter. That way you get 4 outlets for just one additional purchase (assuming you have the extension lead already).
Also, while not disagreeing with the fashion sense of previous eminent posters, beware that some hotels in the more conservative parts of Switzerland and Austria can be a bit more formal. I've been on trips with people who have been made to feel uncomfortable by hotel staff for being too informal. I don't want to make any assumptions about where you are planning to stay, not having been to Mayrhofen, but if in doubt a quick call to the hotel would give you the answer. If you're going over new year then some places have "gala dinners" which can also be a bit more formal.
latest report
Sunglasses. If you are not an experienced skier it is worth taking a second pair of gloves since they get wet when you are getting up from numerous falls and wet gloves on a cold day are not nice.
latest report
DCG, yes, I was really thinking about France and small Austrian resorts; I dare say that nightlife in St Moritz can be a bit more swanky. Personally if I thought a hotel would be imposing some kind of dresscode and looking down their noses at people in jeans, I'd go elsewhere.
snow conditions
+ 1pam w,
snow report
Or just take them off.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Personally if I thought a hotel would be imposing some kind of dresscode and looking down their noses at people in jeans, I'd go elsewhere.

I sympathise with that viewpoint, but I don't think they were being intentionally unpleasant - it's just that there are cultural differences. I would generally try and wear clothes to fit in with those around me. You could say that is being too conformist or you could take the view it's showing respect for one's hosts. The hotel I had in mind was not swanky or particularly expensive but very Swiss and one of my favourites.
I think all hotels have some sort of dress code. It's just a matter of how closely it fits with your own desires. While you may feel that jeans were acceptable, you may draw the line at wearing swimming costumes to dinner, for example.
latest report
Drinking water pouches, which are much easier to fit in pockets/rucksacks than conventional bottles.

Retractable lanyard or similar to secure camera to jacket (far too easy to drop camera with cold fingers or gloves)

An 'in-pocket' first aid kit containing a couple of plasters, antiseptic wipe, ibuprofen. And also a couple of soluble aspirin, which should be chewed in case of cardiac-type chest pain (may sound over the top, but is known to have significant impact).
latest report
sj1608 wrote:
And also a couple of soluble aspirin, which should be chewed in case of cardiac-type chest pain (may sound over the top, but is known to have significant impact).

Very useful when getting the bar bill at the end of the week
latest report
Quote:

You could say that is being too conformist or you could take the view it's showing respect for one's hosts.

No, I entirely agree one should fit in with the expressed ethos of the hotel. I just wouldn't bother going there! I would also prefer to avoid ones where crowds of people routinely lolled around fatly in a bar or dining room area in their swimming gear with sunburnt pink bits hanging out. The "dress code" in the average kind of ski place suits me just fine.
snow conditions
pam w, I agree most places have reasonably casual dress codes, particularly France, and this suits most Brits - myself included - just fine. It's just that there are some very nice and friendly places in more conservative areas of Switzerland particularly where a short sleeve sweat shirt, jeans and trainers would be regarded as too casual for dinner.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't forget a couple of polly bags to put your soiled smalls in, so they don't stink out the room
ski holidays
Yorci wrote:
Don't forget a couple of polly bags to put your soiled smalls in, so they don't stink out the room

Or rinse them out, let them dry overnight and wear them again. Means you can pack even less
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy