Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Powder boards - advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Planning a two week trip to Japan in late Jan '15. Obviously hoping for plenty of deep snow and I'm thinking of adding a dedicated powder board to the quiver. Wondered if anyone had any suggestions or advice? It seems quite difficult to get any good info. Is it worth getting a full on swallowtail? I have done several weeks of backcountry courses on an all mountain board.

Thanks guys.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Standard hardware at Asahidake, only 2.3 metres.

How manly are you feeling NehNeh
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Suddenly don't know how I have lived this long without this in my life.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having owned a 195 swallowtail I would say no. Something like a Rossi XV or Jones Flagship with a big rockered nose rides just as well and is much more versatile.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
love my jones hovercraft, worth looking at it's also great on piste.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
francium.,

I have been eying the hovercraft..... Have you ridden any other Jones boards? Is the hovercraft supposed to be the choice for the deeper stuff? Could get the Mrs a matching one too ha..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shocked Dear God Shocked I feel so inadequate Embarassed
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowrider,

I had wondered if the tail was a bit of a gimmick but there seem to be a few out this season, the Burton cloudsplitter has a big cut out tail. I love my K2 on the groomers and just want something special for the deep stuff. I'll definately check out the Jones range, thanks for getting back.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque, But what do you feel about the board? wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The tall thing in your photo on the right with ....with a.. what is that boarding dummys?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 2-08-14 2:05; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shaping is 'The Thing' this season in snowboarding. Cut-outs, asymmetrical noses and tails, spoons, super-longs and stubbies throughout the ranges.
Prepare for weirdness.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've ridden the mountain twin and the flagship, the hovercraft is almost as good as the flagship on piste, off piste because of the set back stance and short tail it floats really well and keeps the leg burn at bay. The only negative is the nose chatters a bit on hardpack because it's so long but it's not a huge issue in the grand scheme of things. And yes the do a womans version so you can match. With a stiff set of bindings it's awesome.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
francium. wrote:
I've ridden the mountain twin and the flagship, the hovercraft is almost as good as the flagship on piste, off piste because of the set back stance and short tail it floats really well and keeps the leg burn at bay. The only negative is the nose chatters a bit on hardpack because it's so long but it's not a huge issue in the grand scheme of things. And yes they do a womans version so you can match. With a stiff set of bindings it's awesome.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have ridden a Jones Hovercraft and Burton Fish. They do make riding low angle powder easy but when things get steeper or more technical I didn't like the very short tail.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowrider wrote:
I have ridden a Jones Hovercraft and Burton Fish. They do make riding low angle powder easy but when things get steeper or more technical I didn't like the very short tail.

I've never had issues on steeper terrain I tend not to notice the short tail too much. It'll ride switch on piste if you want although not that well. I found as a powder board that works on piste it's pretty good but until you ride one you never know if you'll get on with it.
snow report

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 4-08-14 7:20; edited 3 times in total
latest report
I was thinking that maybe I needed a powder board when I accidentally bought my Jones Flagship. Then I decided I didn't need anything else. For a while. Then I decided I needed a Jones Solution. Make of that what you will....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy