Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Packing advice

Poster: A snowHead
My first holiday in January to Les Arcs. Anyway i have been given my luggage limits - hand luggage 5kg, ski carriage 10kg and normal luggage 10kg.

I have my own skis etc, what should i pack in with skis? I don't want to damage them, also don't want to lose anything important if bag gets lost! Also my ski boots weigh 4.3kg should they go as hand luggage as they are heavy

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which airline only gives a 10kg 'normal luggage' allowance?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dreadful! how could swiftoid fit his boots and a raclette machine into that allowance!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
10kg? That's a bit mean.

Wear your heavy, bulky clothing onto the plane... you may or may not get away with having your helmet (if you have one) on the outside of your carry-on bag. Lots of airlines say 'nothing in the ski bag but skis!' but I've never had the oversized baggage people stop me and make me take extra stuff out. I consider my salopettes sports equipment, and so they go in the sports equipment bag.

How much does your checked bag weight empty? Might be worth getting a cheap holdall if it weight a kilo less and you've not packed everything you wanted.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Salopets in the ski bag along with a few fleeces and jeans (pretty heavy) or whatever to pad the skis. Lighter stuff in the hold. Gadgets etc in the hand luggage.

I've started traveling light on the hand luggage side but if needs must...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
'tis a bit mean.

But perfectly doable. Last time I flew I had no skis but had everything else, including ski boots and a helmet, in a 13.5 kg checked rucksack. Apart from that I only had a small carry-on backpack with a book, Kindle, passport etc - weighed a great deal less than 5 kg. I wore my walking boots and had slippers in the rucksack.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry i meant 15kg normal luggage, was half asleep!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dals wrote:
Sorry i meant 15kg normal luggage, was half asleep!

With what airline? Is this through a TO?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dals, be careful how you pack clothes in your ski bag. if your edges are as they should be they'll slice through fabric as the skis move in the bag.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just weighed my current bag is 5kg. Its those ones that split in half and wheeles
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dals wrote:
Just weighed my current bag is 5kg. Its those ones that split in half and wheeles

You still havent said what airline or is it a TO?

Having had a wee dig myself I suspect the latter? Let me guess, you're on a Neilson holiday flying from Manchester or Gatwick? I notice that being a Thomas Cook company (until now that is) they were tight b***s and only gave 15kg by default - for £7.50 you can go up to 20kg.

You panicked me for a wee while though when I thought that 10kg allowances were on the way in.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is going to be pretty tight for you. You'll have to wear most of your clothes. You could save a kilo or so by not packing any shampoo/shower gel/deodorant etc, and just buying some in resort for the week.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't forget to fill your pockets of the coat your wearing too - nothing to say that shampoo/shower gel/deodorant cant travel in pockets - just as long as it's in a clear plastic bag for security...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Neilson holiday thro travel operator. We flying from birmingham. I am looking for light bag now, but do love my current one
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My current bag is quite large just seen tog 24 121L and 3.7kg
snow conditions
Dals, we purchased a few of these last yearat 1.8kg although you could go a size down and they are 1.5kg.
http://www.thenorthface.co.uk/tnf-uk-en/base-camp-duffel-l/p51214.html

they have rucksack straps so are easy to carry and no hassle about wheeling a bag across a foot of snow like most of our coach party last year. Laughing

there are cheaper ones around but we ski 2/3 times a year so it was a good investment for us. Daughter purchased some from gooutdoors at £35 which are a little less well made than the north face ones but still would be able to stand upto being thrown around an airport.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-lugga-cargo-90-travel-pack-p143464

and we always put our boots into the hold luggage.
ski holidays
Wrap your skis in a camping foam kip mat with a couple of straps. Weighs bug all and you can then wrap clothes around the lot, you do need to protect them from baggage handling after all Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

Don't forget to fill your pockets of the coat your wearing too - nothing to say that shampoo/shower gel/deodorant cant travel in pockets - just as long as it's in a clear plastic bag for security...

but they can be very fussy about just how much you have - all has to fit in one bag, as well as being not more than 100mls individually.

Why would anyone with 20 kgs of baggage AND a ski bag possibly need to travel like Hagrid with greatcoat pockets full of stuff? That's ample allowance for anything you could sensibly need for a week's skiing.
snow conditions
10kg is quite low for skis allowance. Normally it is 12kg with easyjet and I normally fit my boots in the ends of the bag with my skis. Not sure if my heavy skis and boots could come in under 10kg.
ski holidays
Just found out i am flying with thomas cook. Weighed my skis in the bag 6kg, so will do the camping foam and put some bits in there. Given my lush suitcase to my niece as she will use this more than me for school trips.

Decided to get helly hansen duffel bag, i have outlet store by me and they are £35 each for 90L. I will carry my ski boots as hand luggage so they dont get damaged and maybe my helmet in the boot bag (if not over weight)!
snow conditions
Quote:

I will carry my ski boots as hand luggage so they dont get damaged

you ski carefully then Puzzled i am sure your boots can stand upto airport bagage abuse if they are in a bag..
ski holidays
Quote:

Wear your heavy, bulky clothing onto the plane...

Like the idea, I could do with wearing my ski boots on the plane lol. Replaced my jeans with walking trousers and the jumpers/sweat tops with light weight fleece tops, it significantly reduced the weight.
ski holidays
Last year I got myself one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Head-Unisex-Ski-Travel-Bag/dp/B005EJP8Z4?tag=amz07b-21

I did two trips with it last season and each time I kept under the 20kg limit with my ski boots in the bag. Smile
snow conditions
Put loads in your ski bag then when you put it on the scales leave abit hanging over the edge and sneakily put your foot under it and lift it up until your under the limit Happy
snow report
I dont really need to take much do i?
snow conditions
Dals, Most airlines these days wont let you take boots on as hand luggage, they have to be in the hold. Clothes depend on your apres style. I take an extra pair of jeans and enough t-shirts for a week - 'cos I spill beer down mine when drunk!!!!!
ski holidays
Really, shall ribg airline to check?

My partner is snowboarding and his board and boots are 9.7kg

Will try them later for weight and see

I have decided on the mountsin equipment duffel bag 100l, on offer in Coltswold £60
ski holidays
Just tried putting my ski boots in with skis, they dont fit!! Lol
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dals, you really don't need to take much. I manage a hold bag with pretty much everything (clothes, shoes, cosmetics, hair straighteners, ski boots, helmet) for under 15kg, skis in their bag weigh about 6kg then a small backpack with camera, money, passport, kindle and a few bits and bobs as hand luggage. It does help if you have a lightweight hold bag to start with (mine is under 3kg unladen).
snow report
Quote:

I manage a hold bag with pretty much everything (clothes, shoes, cosmetics, hair straighteners, ski boots, helmet) for under 15kg

+1 (minus the hair straighteners). I honestly can't think you need more unless going to some swanky hotel where you plan to turn up in a different killer outfit each night.
ski holidays
Ha ha thanks guys/girls, hopefully getting new bag weekend. Think its under 2kg, so can fill with crap!!! Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy