Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

mid way stop off

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

We're skiing the morning of Jan 2nd in Les Arcs then plan to leave Villaroger about 2pm, going to look for a halfway-ish stopover - Eurotunnel booked for 3pm on Jan 3rd - which is my birthday by the way - what better way to spend it than travelling … hmmm.

Anyway any thoughts on a nice place to stop over, was just going to look for an Ibis or whatever en route e.g. Troyes looks about halfway.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
simonx, the Val Moret is near Troyes and very popular with Brits on their way to and from the Alps. http://www.le-val-moret.com/en/le-val-moret.html

Very close to the motorway, too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If anyone has an IHG Card (Intercontinental Hotels; Holiday Inn, etc), they have some extremely cheap deals in January. Hotels in Reims, Dijon and probably elsewhere.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I usually like to stay in Reims on the way home as I get paranoid about traffic jams and missing my train. Ibis Reims Tinqueux is OK and if you want something a bit nicer Novotel Reims Tinqueux is good too. I have stayed at both. I did try the Ibis budget once but the beds were so hard I couldn't sleep. Reims Tinqueux is handy for the motor way.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not very half way, but when we're looking for somewhere nice we've stopped in Beaune. It's a lovely place and well worth a stop. You'll have a 5ish hour drive the following day, but easily do-able for a 3pm crossing. It's only a few mins from the A6 and has all the usual hotels on the edge of town (still only a 10 min walk in to the centre) with some swankier ones closer to the town itself.

We wouldn't stop there if all we were looking for was a bed for the night though, we'd aim to get further North.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was about to post a similar thread, but about heading down to Morzine! Do any if these suggestions have secure car parks? Mine will be loaded with kit as will be driving to the PDS with everything needed for a long stay..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Harry Flashman, with similar logic we stayed at a little B&B a few miles off the motorway on our way home from doing a season. It didn't have secure parking but felt so 'off the beaten track' that we felt perfectly safe leaving the car there. We found it on Chambre des Hotes website. I can highly recommend the place we stayed, which was between Nuit St Georges and Beaune, if that's a convenient location for you to stop.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A couple of Hotel B&B's in Troyes are gated.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

A couple of Hotel B&B's in Troyes are gated.

on the other hand Troyes, arriving on my own in the centre at 11 pm and not sure where I was going, I began to feel a little insecure and vulnerable. A chambre d'hotes in the country probably is more secure - depends on how much time you have to potter and enjoy things. There's absolutely no need to be paranoid about missing a train, except at very busy times. You can rock up any time within 24 hours of your reservation if you need to (and much later if you ring them and change the booking).

Beaune is lovely - on the A6 though, so a short detour if you are headed down towards Bourg en Bresse.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Troyes B&B's aren't in the town centre, on the outskirts. depends what you want I suppose. Travelling down I like somewhere cheapish, near to the motorway and perhaps a supermarket filling station so that I can get away quickly in the morning. On the way back, if I have a bit more time, I'd rather stay somewhere nicer, more central perhaps in a reasonably scenic town with better restaurants.

For my trip in January I'll stay in Troyes B&B or Premier Classe on the way down but on the way back I'll stop somewhere further south, perhaps Dijon where I haven't visited before.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheap and easy to get to:

http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-2323-formule-1-hotelf1-reims-tinqueux/index.shtml
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks all, Val Moret has a veggie menu so looks a good bet Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
simonx, The Val Moret is fine but try and get a room in the new block, the older ones have rather small furniture - at 6'2" my feet stuck out of the bed!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Val Moret is very nice in my experience and now they have pool and spa is nice to have a quick swim and relax on arrival.

Takes 4-hours from hotel to Eurotunnel at steady 80 with a couple of quick stops.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
simonx, if we stay anywhere its now always the Val Moret - there is a gate which I believe gets closed at night - I have never been around at those times to witness it. Our car is always loaded up and we only take the minimum out with us for the night.
snow report
simonx wrote:
Hi there,

We're skiing the morning of Jan 2nd in Les Arcs then plan to leave Villaroger about 2pm, going to look for a halfway-ish stopover - Eurotunnel booked for 3pm on Jan 3rd - which is my birthday by the way - what better way to spend it than travelling … hmmm.

Anyway any thoughts on a nice place to stop over, was just going to look for an Ibis or whatever en route e.g. Troyes looks about halfway.

We regularly stay in Chaumont en route from the Tarentaise, we tried Troyes and did not like it. Chaumont is not far off the motorway and is a charming small town. We have stayed in the Best Western - name eludes, but there is only one Best Western in the town. There is a drive-in garage so is also secure if you have skis on the roof. Some nice restaurants nearby and a pleasant place to have a little leg stretch after a day in the car.
ski holidays
I must be the only one here who didn't like Val Moret. Embarassed Room was shabby and cold, food was ok. Trekking through heavy snow to get to dinner probably didn't help.
latest report
Pamski, yes gate is locked overnight - if you are leaving early they will give the access code to get out
snow conditions
Hells Bells, Agree the older rooms are tired, the new block is much better. I think the food is ok if rather over-priced but its a very convenient location above all else.
snow conditions
Which are the new blocks?

Have stayed then pretty much every year for last 10 years and not aware of them building anything apart from pool in that time?

for us is more a case of ideal for a family as they could provide a family room for 5 and there is a nice little play area outside - ideal for kids to let off steam after a day in car.

Hells Bells, I think you've stayed there as well, but there is also the Logis near Chalons en Champagne which is very nice, but can't recall name?
snow report
Boris, Maybe 'newer' then, opposite back of the swimming pool nearer to the AutoRoute.
snow conditions
I think you mean the Auberge de Moissons? As for Val Moret, I don't think any of the buildings are newer, but perhaps have been refurbished? Son's room was right at the other end of the grounds to ours and seemed better. However, we didn't even see the place close up in daylight.
latest report
Just on the secure parking note, in Troyes the Ibis and Novotel in the centre share a secure barrier controlled underground car park. Convenient stopover but I agree with Ian Kenvyn and pam w it is a soulless place and if you arrive late your food options are limited.

Last few trips our timings have been different and so we have had different stopovers, happy to recommend the Holiday Inn in Arras for secure underground parking, decent room and a good choice of decent restaus within 3 mins walk and also the Reims Tinqueaux Novotel again for convenience, pretty decent parking though not sure if totally secure and a very good restau in the hotel plus supermarket fuel opposite and McDs if you feel the need Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hells Bells, Ah yes that's the one - really liked it there, but did work out pricey for 5 of us in 2 rooms
ski holidays
I'm stopping in Troyes on the way down. We're staying at the Hotel Arlequin. Has anyone stayed there before, looks ok on the website......
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy