Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Hire from Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

4 of us are taking advantage of Easyjet flights from Doncaster to have a quick weekend away before christmas. Normally we hire a car for transfers, however the scheduled arrival time of 10.30pm has got me a little concerned. Do all the car hire desks close
at 23.00? Has anyone any experience / know if the car hire coys operate out
of hours. Otherwise are taxis readily available? (would rather reserve a car & hope we get there in time, and get a taxi if the worst came to the worst) if we find ourselves stuck?

thanks all
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Swiss taxis will cost you a fortune to anywhere you can go skiing. Hertz open later than most, I've picked up from them at 2330. Use autoeurope or holiday autos and put in 2300 as your pick up time and it will only offer you suppliers whose desk is open at that time. The best thing is for the driver to go through and sort out the car while the rest of you reclaim the bags.

If you prebook and your plane is delayed the desk will wait, but you will probably have to pay a late collection fee of about £30, from memory.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wrongsideof30, I actually thought the car hire companies shut at 20.00, it's certainly been my experience that the booths in the arrivals hall are not usually manned after that time. Try a search via www.gva.ch for car hire companies and you may be able to find some direct telephone numbers, alternatively the site could show you which hotels are available at Geneva airport.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My experience is 100% different from David@traxvax, I've often arrived in Geneva on the late flights and have never had an issue with the car hire desks being closed.
Just make sure that you put your flight number on the booking and then they know they have to be there.
I always use holidayautos
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wrongsideof30, just to back up rungsp, we got to GVA last year at about 22:00 and the lad was waiting for us - last pick-up of the day.

We also went through www.holidayautos.co.uk and they use Hertz as their agent in GVA.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
wrongsideof30, same here... no problem arriving late; they will wait for you - got there close to midnight once to find them still around (and not a taxi to be seen!). As long as you've booked in advance you'll have no worries.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just a quick tip.make sure the hire car has a current vignette, think thas how they spell it.It is the Swiss motorway toll, the car must display the current one and some hire firms don't put them on. I have known people get stung for it when coming back into Swiss Costs about 50 euros and you can't get it back.

Have a good trip.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fat-Russ, I think all the cars at the Swiss side of the airport have the vignette (but no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, I think all the Swiss-side cars have a vignette. Also, the route through through to the French side can be closed late in the evening - you have to ring a bell and might have to wait some time. I don't think you'll have problems if you follow the advice above - especially driver going through straight away and getting the car organised. I think Holiday Autos use whoever they can get the best discounts with - not necessarily Hertz. Have fun.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Paul Mason wrote:
We also went through www.holidayautos.co.uk and they use Hertz as their agent in GVA.

They've transferred their allegiance to Budget these days....they stay open till 23:00. Make sure you add your flight number and expected arrival time to your booking, then they will stick around or make special arrangements if you're delayed past closing time.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you hire from the french side you won't get chains or winter tyres unless you ask* for them!

* 'ask' means pay a whacking great premium!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey! Maybe hire a car in the resort? ATS transfer to most places from Geneva, and they're cheap and really reliable and nice. I always use them. Not sure iof suitable, but just an idea! think they have a website, Sian
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jobseeker, welcome to snowheads but shouldnt you be on www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
homphomp wrote:
Paul Mason wrote:

They've transferred their allegiance to Budget these days

I think it varies, depending on who they can get the best deal with. Next week I have the rental with Alamo, January it's with Budget and with Hertz, and March it's back with Alamo.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just a quick one to say thanks to all who replied.

I feel a lot happier that we won't all be sleeping on a bench in the airport
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
homphomp wrote:
Paul Mason wrote:

They've transferred their allegiance to Budget these days

I think it varies, depending on who they can get the best deal with. Next week I have the rental with Alamo, January it's with Budget and with Hertz, and March it's back with Alamo.

Does the booking engine come up with who the car hire is with before you confirm? I ask because I had a problem with HA last year as they used Hertz at Basle who were not open for the late evening flights & charged an out of hours fee.
ski holidays
Yes there is an out of hours fee which usally applies after the rental office has closed.
In my experience all offices shut at 11.00pm (you can check the individual websites) but Europcar have an 11.30pm close. You should always give your flight number and carry the telephone number of the local office you are using so you can call if you are delayed. If you call they will wait. Of course that fee will apply.

ne tihng that we do is one person waits for luggage and the other goes to get the car. Avoids queues but I guess if you lot are all reading this my secret is out and can expect a race to the car hire desk this season!!

Make sure you book in advance.
ski holidays
Mouth wrote:
Yes there is an out of hours fee which usally applies after the rental office has closed.
In my experience all offices shut at 11.00pm (you can check the individual websites) but Europcar have an 11.30pm close. You should always give your flight number and carry the telephone number of the local office you are using so you can call if you are delayed. If you call they will wait. Of course that fee will apply.

ne tihng that we do is one person waits for luggage and the other goes to get the car. Avoids queues but I guess if you lot are all reading this my secret is out and can expect a race to the car hire desk this season!!

Make sure you book in advance.

The race to the car hire desk whilst the others collect the bags is pretty standard practice I reckon.

However be careful! Last year I was not impressed when my mate handed me a bag at the car desk
identical to my own but not mine!!

luck was on my side as the 'other guy' with my bag was in another car hire queue

needless to say my bag is now plastered in various identifying stickers wink
ski holidays
wrongsideof30, Snowhead stickers no doubt!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy