Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Road to Bormio

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has any one got any experience/tips for driving to Bormio (from UK)??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes. The most direct routes go through Switzerland, so you will need a vignette. It is about 11 hours driving time (on road time) from Calais (13 to 16 including breaks, etc.), so I would recommend an overnight stop near Luxembourg /Metz. The most difficult bit on the route we went (via Chur /St Moritz) was over the Julierberg pass, which was quite tricky when we went over it (Feb 2012), but you can put the car on the Vereina train from Klosters to Susch to avoid it and save some time.

Note : Routes from Germany /Austria over the Stelvio Pass are closed in Winter. We returned via GVA out of necessity, but that was a big detour.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep I've driven it. It's a long way Happy

Three routes in during winter (it's already been mentioned that the Stelvio is closed):
1) Via Livigno. Head for east Switzerland, and take the Veriena train tunnel from Klosters. Head S then east and pick up the single-track tunnel through to Livigno - note the times of this are restricted and on Saturdays it is one-way out of Livigno in the morning and one way into Livigno in the afternoon (see http://www.livigno.eu/en/village/how-to-reach-us/tunnel-munt-la-schera for timetable). Then over the Foscagno pass to Bormio - this pass is generally kept open as it is the only road into Livigno from Italy.
2) Head for St Moritz (either over the Julier pass or via the Veriena tunnal as above) and then over the Bernina Pass. Did this 2 years ago in a blizzard. Was very hairy and snowploughs were working hard to keep the road open.
3) Take the St Gottard tunnel from Switzerland to Lugarno, then over to Lago di Como and up the valley road through Sondrio. This is probably the route least likely to get closed due to snow.

For all three you'll need a swiss vignette, and don't even think about trying (1) or (2) without winter tyres and chains.

I've also done a route to Bormio via the Brenner Pass (austria). Suffice to say I don't recommend it... up and down, up and down...

[This year we are cheating and flying into Milan and picking up a hire car, so just have the drive along Lake Como and up the valley through Sondrio.]
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Probably the easiest is via the mount blank tunnel then on to milan. Then from milan to lecco, sondrio, tirano and eventually Bormio.
It is a bit of a long way around but it avoids the swiss police and there speeding fines.
It is also quite any easy drive on mostly fast roads.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
peter42, The roads are easier that way (though I suspect the OP is going at half-term and they will probably be busier than through CH). Also, you would be 13 hours on the road instead of 11 and the French are hot on speeding these days too (plus their tolls, the Mont Blanc toll and some Italian ones). Not sure it is worth it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
beequin, We have driven most of these routes several dozen times and the one via mount blank is generally less hassle. Admittedly we have never done it at half term. And yes it does cost a little more.
Also we have found not much difference in travelling time maybe an hour and a half longer. And the french and italian police are a little more lenient than the swiss.
Plus less chance off having to put snow chains on.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy