Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best exercise (s) for thigh burn?

Poster: A snowHead
snowman, she's lovely, isn't she? You might enjoy this too:
http://youtube.com/v/tTNEgfKdQHI
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've seen that one already but really enjoyed watching again. Yummy!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any program to prevent ACL reinjury must involve plyometrics

Jonathan Bell
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonathan Bell, that's a new term for me. But, looking it up, don't those "jump squats" qualify?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Edit - doh! originally pasted wrong link

http://youtube.com/v/V5nPu1zkhcI

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 27-11-13 22:00; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB wrote:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=104620&start=40

did you mean to reference this thread or perhaps another?

*comment now defunct* (or should that be "d funk"?)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Jonathan Bell, that's a new term for me. But, looking it up, don't those "jump squats" qualify?

I hope so. Jonathan's physio put them in my programme and I thought that was for plyometrics
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, yeah, well, that's very good to look at but just a tad beyond me. wink Lovely mover though I'd give those Russian dancing things at the end a miss if I were you.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
DB, yeah, well, that's very good to look at but just a tad beyond me. wink Lovely mover though I'd give those Russian dancing things at the end a miss if I were you.

Yes you're right there pam w, I'll stick to these Russian moves. wink

http://youtube.com/v/UaRUgIJ_xfs
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OK, so every day I'm doing 20 mins x-trainer, 80 one-leg squats and 2 mins of wall sits, no thigh burn the next day, so hopefully this and a technique tweek will help!
Question is: How many days before actually skiing should I stop the training?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
KenX, why would you want to stop the training?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name,

...probably to allow full recovery.

KenX, 80 one-leg squats??? Impressive. Are these full pistol squats? Amazing if they are!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
80 one-legged squats?? This is super impressive. I am a former ice-skater, and I don't think I ever did that many as part of a training routine. You shouldn't be having any thigh burn.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well yes, to allow recovery is what I'm thinking, but if I'm wrong...........................
2 sets of 20 a side one-legged squats = 80, doesn't seem so bad!
latest report
KenX,

Full pistol squats as shown at 3:10 in this clip?

http://youtube.com/v/KeZCRJpdVCI
ski holidays
No way, not with my old knees!
Down to parallel and up seems to work my quads just fine Smile
ski holidays
That's a good video - I might have a go at the first couple of steps. wink
snow report
I suspect the reason they call them pistol squats is because most people only get so far down before falling over backwards as if they have been shot wink

Often wondered if pistol squats will damage or strengthen dodgy knees - can anybody in the know comment?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 5-12-13 16:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
DB,

I guess that if you go through the progressions and you cannot maintain a stable knee (no wobbling + knee not moving to the center line) then it is probably not for you.
snow conditions
Or it's the sound your knee makes when it lets go..........................
ski holidays
So, any idea when/if I should stop training?
I was thinking 2/3 days before my 1st ski day
ski holidays
KenX, Thursday according to my physio
ski holidays
Assuming I'm skiing on Sunday Smile

(Which I am!)

Thanks!
snow report
The best advice I have been given was by a ski instructor in Puy St Vincent some 15 years ago, who was super fit & indulged in a variety of different alpine sports all year round. I thought I had prepared well for skiing by running but suffered badly from thigh burn. He advised me to use cycling as the most appropriate preparation for skiing. I have done so ever since and have now invested in a recumbent cycle machine. I no longer suffer from thigh burn and am able to make the most of my ski hols from day 1, even though I am now 58.
latest report
Cheers Lizzie!
I'm off for my SCGB Leader refresher in Tignes in 2 days, so I'll report back!
Also review on my new Salomon Q105's and switching my Tele bindings onto my BD Verdicts, can't wait Smile
snow report
OK guys, it worked! Able to keep up all day with the fastest mountain guides AND skiing Telemark on the last day with no problems Smile
Don't know if it was the 2 months of X-trainer or the one-leg squats/wall sits, but I'll be keeping it up for sure, I got so much more out of the trip!
snow conditions
Hi anyone out there with info on recuperation after having a menicus tare op. My hubby kev Ducky had the operation yesterday and he's ok at the moment and got various exercises given him, the only thing is we can't seem to find anyone agreeing on the time it should take (if all is well) to be able to ski. We are booked to go to Zell on 8th March and just hope he will be allright to ski.... what do you think?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mrs Ducky, these threads http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=98989 and http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2386947&highlight=#2386947 tell NickyJ's story,
snow report
Thanks for that holidaylover will keep everything and anything crossed for when he sees the consultant in two weeks that he is going to be very enthusiastic and say OF COURSE you can go skiing Kevin!!!!! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy