Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best exercise (s) for thigh burn?

Poster: A snowHead
My only weakness in ski fitness seems to be thigh burn, which I guess is lactic acid build-up?
I'm currently working hard on a cross-trainer doing interval training by lowering my body into the skiing position while stepping until I get the burn, then normal for a few minutes, then low again.....
Is there anything else I should do and is hydration a part of this?
I'm guessing late nights/too much alchohol would be a factor also?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I guess is lactic acid build-up?

mostly, IME, being "in the back seat", rather than having your weight centred and stacked over your skeleton. Might be worth having a lesson? It happens to me when things get difficult
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, agreed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Could be, it's always worse when the going gets tough, be it terrain or weather/visibility......
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I found when I increased my cycle commute substantially the thigh burn just about disappeared.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Can also be caused by boots that are too soft
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wall sits are great but as Pam says for a lot of people improving technique is enough. Quads still get a good workout skiing though so some conditioning is needed.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boots defo not too soft, I'll work on keeping out of the back seat!
And keep up the interval training Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
KenX,

At the risk of stating the obvious- your thigh muscles aren't able to tolerate the load. It maybe your technique overloads them( backseat) or you haven't conditioned the muscles for the task.Training has to be task specific eg being good at distance running doesn't automatically make you good at cycling as you use muscles differently.

There are many posts on training on snowheads but you need a comprehensive and diverse program that addresses cardio, balance, symmetry,power,endurance , plyometrics and technique.

I have posted a ski specific program here https://www.facebook.com/wimbledonclinics

You could do your cardio( of which one part is intervals) on the X trainer.

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
meh wrote:
Wall sits are great but as Pam says for a lot of people improving technique is enough. Quads still get a good workout skiing though so some conditioning is needed.

Wall sits only really work for your muscles in that position. You need to work on muscle strength throughout the range of motion, not with your legs in that position and that position only. You don't ski like that, so why 'exercise' like that.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
KenX, I have been working with Jonathan Bell's physio, James Vickers, to get back to skiing after injury. I believe it is his ski programme on the facebook page - highly recommended....and bloody hard work, but definitely worth it!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonathan Bell, do you have that program up anywhere other than facebook?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mosha Marc,

I don't as it is in weekly updates that progress the program.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm really working on movements on the X trainer that simulate the burn I get while skiing, so we'll see in 3 weeks when I go to Tignes!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
KenX wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm really working on movements on the X trainer that simulate the burn I get while skiing, so we'll see in 3 weeks when I go to Tignes!

Good luck with that. In 3 weeks you'll be quite a lot better at crouching on a X trainer rolling eyes
ski holidays
pmsl Smile
ski holidays
My favourite way of getting 'ski fit' is by skiing. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Pedantica, Totally agree with you!
ski holidays
Jonathan Bell, Laughing
snow conditions
I've been doing some squats and lunges. But check your form - don't want the front knee getting in front of the foot. I have tried some one-footed squats - am useless at them but guess they are v good for balance, so will keep trying.
snow report
feef, because it's very hard on your quads. You don't use the full range of motion skiing either, particularly recreationally it's about keeping you standing up (which is why people get thigh burn from being backseat).

There should of course be other exercises but this thread is about the "best exercise for thigh burn" and wall sits are definitely up there. Plus in comparison to other exercises it's not easy to get the form wrong.
snow conditions
I use the rowing machine.

I should perhaps do some other stuff as well, but just rowing and a bit of stretching seems to work quite well for me.
latest report
KenX wrote:
lowering my body into the skiing position while stepping until I get the burn
I think this is probably the cause of your thigh burn. Stand taller when you are skiing, don't have your legs too flexed. You will need to use your legs to create movements and to act to absorb the terrain and forces that are generated, but you shouldn't adopt a permanently low position as it will, as you know, unduly stress your muscles.
snow conditions
KenX, and I think another problem of doing your "crouching into the ski position" is that it can put your knees under a lot of strain. My knees are cringing at the thought of doing that on a cross trainer! A few years ago I did some ski lessons with an instructor who had us doing three turns in a "forward" position, three "centred" then three "back", all the way down the slope - exaggerating the differences. Because my knees are dodgy he advised me to stick to just a gentle backward move. But that's an interesting exercise to help you feel the difference and also I found it helped my ability to get back into the centred position after getting off balance.
ski holidays
All about technique really I suspect. I'm kinda with pam W and rob@rar. Whilst using a cross trainer in a lowered position will help with some muscle development and endurance, it could also have an adverse impact on knees and joins. Endurance will improve as the stance and technique improve. The cross trainer is however a superb tool to improve cardiovascular performance, which will benefit enormously.
snow report
Bob wrote:
Whilst using a cross trainer in a lowered position will help with some muscle development and endurance, it could also have an adverse impact on knees ...
It might contribute to making an excessively flexed stance permanent.
snow conditions
At this point for me , 3 weeks out like you, I start to think that there is a risk of injury in training that put might put my skiing holiday at risk so I don't take on any new major exercise. Continue with aerobic, continue to work at the level I have attained - the one think that you can add in and see a useful and speedy response from is balance - "prioception" - stand on one leg in the supermarket queue (i.e. aim for 2 minutes, still, no jiggling) , do body weigh squats on an upside down bosu - with a light weight in each hand to simulate the skiing position. if it starts to get easy, stand in one leg with you eyes shut and try to touch your nose with your finger, alternate hands. All this should challenge your hopefully already strong core!

If you want to do that crouching down thing, your leg should be going out to the side and training the Ab/aductors - use a pair of towels on a shiny floor. Or get a Theraband ( Giant Postie's elastic band) hook around both Ankles, Squat on standing leg and push other leg out and back towards 4o'clock. This should give you "burn" in the Glute in the standing leg which may not be strong enough to keep you stood up and forward.

Good Luck!
snow conditions
OK!
I've got pretty much the responses I was looking for!
1/ Work on technique, ie less knee bend while skiing and keep out of the rear seat! I'm a good skier so can analyse/accomplish this......
2/ Use the X-trainer for CV and interval training without stressing my knee joints! CV fitness will always help overall.
3/ Wall sits and squats to strengthen quads.
Thanks for all the help, probably the key thing is keeping centred on the skis by the way!
Of course, when I mention I also Telemark as well as Alpine ski..........................................
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
KenX wrote:
OK!
Of course, when I mention I also Telemark as well as Alpine ski..........................................

Always thought Telemarkers look like they are crouching on a cross trainer.
Makes sense now wink
latest report
Razz
latest report
Rub a bit of vaseline on the outside of your thighs before intercourse and it will lubricate things stopping the burning sensation. Savlon is also ok, or butter.
latest report
Not Olbas oil then?
latest report
Quote:

Rub a bit of vaseline on the outside of your thighs before intercourse

I would have thought it was the inside, not outside. WD40 works pretty well too.
latest report
Quote:

I would have thought it was the inside, not outside

Depends.....
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

Depends...

Ah yes. Good point. I knew I was going wrong somewhere.
ski holidays
Well Eureka moment!
After taking on board the advice here, I finished with the X-trainer crouch (!) and did some single-leg squats and wall sits......
The next day I had the same ache in my thighs as after skiing, so these exercises get my vote!
Will keep up regular X-training and cycling for general fitness though, thanks!
latest report
KenX, so definitely, it's a technique issue!

Eureka.
ski holidays
Flaine skier, Im with you on this, rowing machine.
short sprints for power, longer sprints for lactic tolerance, then long rows to push it through the system.
ski holidays
For simulating thigh burn I like doing intervals on a bike recliner (gives you great resistance on your thighs when put to max setting similar to a leg press). A great progression to wall sits is using a FitBall between the wall and yourself and moving/sliding up and down...love doing Tabata intervals (8x 20secs hard effort/10secs rest) with different leg width stance, weight loading with dumbells or barbell optional. Other favs hill running intervals (also possible on on incline treadmill) and the more standard gym exercises like lunges, squats etc. Recently I came across this ACL prevention training programme for (very attractive) footballers which should work great for skiing as well:

http://youtube.com/v/xWBSf4BfKRk
latest report
snowman, useful link, thanks.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy