Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smelly Gear!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
jellylegs wrote:
You really don't need too many layers - it's usually surprisingly warm in a ski resort.

For main layers I wear salopettes, a t-shirt, a sweatshirt and a coat, and that's kept me warm for 95% of my days on snow.

I disagree totally with this... What works for you wont necessarily work for others, myself included! I like to ski hard and rarely stop for breaks and as such build up a sweat! With the wrong base layer / layering system i'd easily become cold even in temps around 0ºc
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have Aldi merino which doesn't itch, and can't say I find it that different to my Icebreaker. Also have some Endura stuff - all for when I range in size from Hippo down to Rhino Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ALQ, I think that it was fairly obvious that BOTH needed washing !
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jellylegs, I don't ski in resorts but up on the mountains - where it can be 'surprisingly cold' - I don't think that -10 to -20 (or colder with wind chill) can be descibed as warm !
However - with a good merino or other base ( not a T-shirt) I often only have one more layer under my ski jacket - but ALWAYS carry 1-3 more layers for adding at coffee stop if cold and including a "downie" for emergencies.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tomb wrote:
jellylegs wrote:
You really don't need too many layers - it's usually surprisingly warm in a ski resort.

For main layers I wear salopettes, a t-shirt, a sweatshirt and a coat, and that's kept me warm for 95% of my days on snow.

I disagree totally with this... What works for you wont necessarily work for others, myself included! I like to ski hard and rarely stop for breaks and as such build up a sweat! With the wrong base layer / layering system i'd easily become cold even in temps around 0ºc

Fair point, but you've ignored the fact that the OP is embarking on his/her first ski trip. They're unlikely to be going too far, and they're not going to need a rucksack full of clothing for every eventuality. I was just making the point that a t-shirt and sweatshirt under a warm jacket will probably be sufficient for 95% of the conditions they'll likely experience, and not to get too technical about base layering. The more you ski, the more you understand your own clothing needs.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Scrumpy wrote:
jellylegs, I don't ski in resorts but up on the mountains - where it can be 'surprisingly cold' - I don't think that -10 to -20 (or colder with wind chill) can be descibed as warm !
However - with a good merino or other base ( not a T-shirt) I often only have one more layer under my ski jacket - but ALWAYS carry 1-3 more layers for adding at coffee stop if cold and including a "downie" for emergencies.

Agreed, but what percentage of your skiing days have been -10 to -20C? (and you'd need to have done a good many days to answer that).

I'd estimate that <5% of my days on snow have been that cold. Even -5C can feel quite warm when the suns out, especially in March/April.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
synthetics can be washed after a days skiing and are dry by next morning.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jellylegs, +1

I seldom see the hardened European skiers with rucksack full of extra layers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy